Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Who has seen Avatar?

Go down 
+7
bobbitt15
captain organic
acccardinal12
SOKO
OU
boomer sooner
Cu Bu
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

Who has seen Avatar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 11:52 am

i liked it i saw in 3d was probably best movie experience I can remember since ET when i was a kid
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 2:05 pm

I loved it, but walked away comparing it to "Dances with Wolves" as well. I once read a book about how Hollywood loves making stories of how whites join other cultures then perfect them. Dances, Last Samurai, and Last of the Mohicans are all good examples [of course the latter is a great work of fiction]. I guess those cultures find it insulting that it takes a white man to perfect their way of life.

The moral preaching probably allows hypocrites to sleep better on their piles of money.
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 11:54 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Ya. Holywood loves painting imperialist/colonialist whites as the 100% evil badguy while simultaniously taking credit for being the "great emacipator", where a whiteguy becomes the most badass member of the non-white culture after a montage of hunting lessions and a riverside sex scene with a princess.

All that does is slap reality, white people, and nonwhite(brown or blue) people in the face.

Holywood, fuck you.

Well, yeah. We do this with Indians more than anything. Would White Man Can't Jump fall in this category too?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 12:28 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
lol not sure, never seen it.

never seen White Men Can't Jump with Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes?
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:
lol not sure, never seen it.

never seen White Men Can't Jump with Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes?

fucking classic. Basketball
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 3:55 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Bits and pieces, but what's the plot of it? White dude becomes the best basketball player and fights off some evil racist jerk?

Actually, doesn't Bring It On have this same plot.

Protagonist white cheerleader and black ghetto cheerleaders vs racist preppy cheerleaders where the white good gal eventually learns how to be the best dancer of them all by learning the booty shaking ways of the ghetto chicks, and defeats the racist chick in the finals or some shit?

Yo fuck you James Cameron.

No this movie doesn't fit into that whole white guy hero for the other side thing. Woody and Wesley are equally talented. It's just a 2 on 2 street game. Race is part of the movie but he isn't saving or perfecting anything, just winning a couple games. Just 2 guys that hustle coming together to win some money, even if they don't like eachother.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Ya. Holywood loves painting imperialist/colonialist whites as the 100% evil badguy while simultaniously taking credit for being the "great emacipator", where a whiteguy becomes the most badass member of the non-white culture after a montage of hunting lessions and a riverside sex scene with a princess.

All that does is slap reality, white people, and nonwhite(brown or blue) people in the face.

Holywood, fuck you.
I agree. Same thing happened in Bambi. Portraying the white hunter as the bad guy.
Serious I was about to go see it and realized it was 15 bucks a person and declined. I will wait for it to come out on DVD. I don't think I will ever go to the theatre again because of the rediculous prices. I have to shell out 100-150 to see a movie with my family. Took my daughter and youngest son to see Jonas Bros 3D and it cost 50 bucks. I thought the chick was joking and got home and looked at the receipt and was shocked. I mean I had to pay for me also when it was an hour and a half of torture. They should really let the dads in free for the hannah montana and Jonas movies.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 4:54 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
I would never take my daughter to see that junk so I wouldn't have to worry.
yeah you would if she wanted you too. It's not like I don't think it is junk also. I wasn't hyped up to see it or anything. like I said TORTURE!
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 5:01 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
No I wouldn't. That stuff doesn't do anything but retard the development of teenagers and gives them questionable to outright bad messages. No way.
Man this whole tim I thought it was just Disney music. Maybe I should let them listen to all the crap on the radio like I kissed a girl or poker face. Thanks for the advice!
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 5:52 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Yo that stuff is even worse, but Hannah Montana/Miley Cirus like all the Disney broads is just a gateway to the rest of the radio.

No thanks. My kids aren't allowed to listen to any music other than classical, and some country and oldies. Same with TV.

Nothing wrong with censorship.
Censorship yes, prison NO!
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 12:28 pm

I thought it was eh. Watched it in 3-D, kind of wished I saw it in regular, the glasses were an annoyance and the edges of the screen a bit blurrred. The story was weak, and the half american indian-half african natives were corny.

Best part of the movie was the coming attractions. Alice in Wonderland looked pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 1:09 pm

Mixed feelings. I enjoyed it and to the people that went on a crusade bitching about how unoriginal it was: What fuckin movie that comes out these days is original? Everything is just a clone of something else anymore. Just because this movie was huge and did big time numbers a ton of people felt like it was the cool thing to do to just bash this movie for "terrible dialogue and unoriginal story"...just not buying it

On the other hand, Best Picture my balls. Not even close. Inglorious Basterds puts this movie to shame on every level sans the visuals which can only play so much into a Best Picture category
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Maybe its just because I wasn't expecting anything special from the story of this movie. Everytime I read something about it, it just seemed obvious that Cameron had gone in a cocoon to do the visuals for this thing but in the process we were going to get served with a cookie cutter storyline as that part of the movie wasn't getting anywhere near the attention of the artistic side. I think a lot of it has to do with what you were expecting going in. Some people it seems were expecting a Casablanca level story to go with these visuals. But, therein lies my problem with the all the Best Picture hype. It clearly isn't worthy.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 1:47 pm

there are tons of original movies out there. Inglourious Basterds being one. This movie should not being given a pass because there are other equally unoriginal movies out there.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 1:56 pm

I don't call it giving the movie a pass. Its recognizing it for what it is: a visual and cinematic achievement with a story that isn't up to par with those elements
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
bobbitt15 wrote:
Maybe its just because I wasn't expecting anything special from the story of this movie. Everytime I read something about it, it just seemed obvious that Cameron had gone in a cocoon to do the visuals for this thing but in the process we were going to get served with a cookie cutter storyline as that part of the movie wasn't getting anywhere near the attention of the artistic side. I think a lot of it has to do with what you were expecting going in. Some people it seems were expecting a Casablanca level story to go with these visuals. But, therein lies my problem with the all the Best Picture hype. It clearly isn't worthy.

I would be fine with a basic storyline. I am not fine with an insulting story that insults nonwhites as much as whites and just serves to paint the same stupid moral picture how whites are the badguys.

I get tired of being kicked in the pants by Holywood.
I couldn't agree more my fellow white devil. Most people would say you are a racist for comments in this thread. That is just another form of reverse racism to side step the real problem with mainstrem America. I hate the fact that white people are portrayed the way we are in Hollywood. We have nothing to do with what happened 100s of years ago. Pretty soon I will be called something bad because I don't want to see two guys kissing in the park. Like I am the bad guy you know
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Avatars story is one of the oldest out there. It is just one of many that has drawn from cultural archives of human cultures last several thousand years.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 7:37 pm

saw it on the imax 3d screen and it was absolutley amazing. they should make all movies like that imo that shit is awesome.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 8:54 pm

That it's so often seen and continually resented are telling.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 9:13 pm

A lot of people resent the notion that what we, being the near majority of people now, consider a normal way of life is not a good thing. That notion has been presented in literature and film for a while. There are thematic parallels in many of the stories in Abrahamic Religions, but perspective has steered meaning in a prescribed direction. I usually think book of genesis for books or movies like avatar, knowledge of good and evil, Cain and Abel, those sort of stories.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 9:52 pm

I am just tired of the assault on indo-European heritage.

The blue natives are the only ones who have a culture worth defending?

Maybe they have a point, though, because if this is how white people view themselves already, another 150 years of subdivisions and pop music, and I'd probably be ready to betray what is left of us to the first bunch of noble loin cloth wearing savages I ran across too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 4:44 pm

Just saw Avatar at the Imax in 3D and was absolutely blown away.
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 8:59 pm

There's a lot of self-loathing white folks out there, and James Cameron is clearly one of them. He is a great story-teller though.

Wolf, have you ever been to a website called "Stuff White People Like"? Pretty funny look at the PC world.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptySat Feb 27, 2010 9:51 pm

I finally saw it. This may have been the coolest movie ever visually. The actual plot and story line was alright. Nothing special in my mind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:28 am

The story is nothing spectacular but the world James has created is breathtaking. The whole planet was just this lush paradise. I was skeptical about 3D going into this but I have to admit it really enhanced the experience. Not once did I realize the film was almost 3 hours long.

btw who played the badass general ? he was great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who has seen Avatar?   Who has seen Avatar? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who has seen Avatar?
Page 1 of 1