Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

David Haye vs John Ruiz Set For April 3rd

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

David Haye vs John Ruiz Set For April 3rd Empty
PostSubject: David Haye vs John Ruiz Set For April 3rd   David Haye vs John Ruiz Set For April 3rd EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 10:57 am

David Haye will make the first defense of the WBA world heavyweight against John Ruiz in Manchester on April 3.

The 29-year-old British fighter, also a former world cruiserweight champion, won the heavyweight crown from Russia’s Nikolai Valuev in November in Germany.

Haye will now face Ruiz, the WBA’s No. 1 contender and former champion, at Manchester’s MEN Arena.

The 38-year-old American fighter didn’t show up at Tuesday’s news conference to announce the fight.

“We paid for his first class tickets over here, a great hotel and tried to accommodate him as best as possible,” Haye said. “He didn’t get on the flight. I don’t know what his reason is.”

Haye has known since he beat Valuev on Nov. 7 in Nuremberg that he would have to fight Ruiz. He predicted Tuesday he would become only the second fighter in 55 contests to knock the durable challenger out.

“I will not only beat him but beat him spectacularly and knock him out,” Haye said. “I’m looking forward to getting back to what I do best—throwing my trademark ‘Hayemakers.’ Ruiz is a come-forward fighter so I aim to get at him, break him down, and take him out in good style.”

A powerful puncher but with a shaky defense, Haye believes his attacking style will be too much for the experienced Ruiz. The American has fought some of the biggest names in the heavyweight division. Ruiz had three fights with Evander Holyfield, recording one win, one loss and a draw, and Haye will be wary of his punching power.

“John Ruiz managed to knock down Evander Holyfield not long after Lennox Lewis had 24 rounds to try to do that and he was not able to knock him down,” Haye said. “Mike Tyson couldn’t knock Holyfield down but Ruiz could. He’s got some power there and, if I leave my chin hanging out, I could come unstuck.”

Haye won a majority decision over Valuev by staying out of reach of the huge Russian’s sporadic punches in Nuremberg on Nov. 7. He hopes to be on the offensive against the unspectacular Ruiz, whose style is to wear down his opponents.

“Everyone knows I had to go to Germany to take the title away from Nikolai Valuev,” Haye said. “Now it’s time to showcase my skills again in front of the great British public.”

Haye’s goal eventually is to unify the titles by beating the Klitschko brothers, Vitali and Wladimir, who hold the WBC, IBF and WBO titles between them.

Haye has won 23 of his 24 fights, 21 by knockout. Ruiz, who held and lost the WBA title twice, has won 44 of his 54 contests with eight defeats, one draw and one no contest. Two of his defeats were to Valuev, and he was also beaten by Roy Jones Jr.

Seven of Ruiz’s losses were on points but he was knocked out in the first round by David Tua in March 1996.

http://www.skysports.com/haye/story/0,27000,17213_5886490,00.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ap-haye-ruiz&prov=ap&type=lgns

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4858895
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: David Haye vs John Ruiz Set For April 3rd   David Haye vs John Ruiz Set For April 3rd EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 1:15 pm

Why?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: David Haye vs John Ruiz Set For April 3rd   David Haye vs John Ruiz Set For April 3rd EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 am

bobbitt15 wrote:
Why?

He's Haye's mandatory.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: David Haye vs John Ruiz Set For April 3rd   David Haye vs John Ruiz Set For April 3rd EmptyWed Jan 27, 2010 6:07 pm

Ruiz is such a bum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Haye vs John Ruiz Set For April 3rd   David Haye vs John Ruiz Set For April 3rd Empty

Back to top Go down

David Haye vs John Ruiz Set For April 3rd
Page 1 of 1