Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?

Go down 
+8
Ninja
ram_escandon
Andrew the Raider King
redvexx8
JimboJones1
Wolfgangsta
ohiovol62
MMAEYES
12 posters
AuthorMessage
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? Empty
PostSubject: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 2:12 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4840210&name=mma

That sucks. I guess I shouldn't be suprised because of how nice the guy is. But he thinks MMA is disrespectful and I don't get that at all.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 2:13 pm

Cung Le doesn't like it either
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 pm

ohiovol62 wrote:
Cung Le doesn't like it either

LOL no kidding
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 2:15 pm

It is part of that, and also part of the fact MMA takes the magic and mystery out of martial arts that makes people think of him, Jet Le, Bruce Lee and others as larger than life figures.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
JimboJones1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 2:27 pm

Jackie Chan's quote about when a fighter is knocked down, let him get back up demonstrates that this "martial artist" has no concept of ground fighting and does not understand what grappling and bjj are all about. He seems to think that if the guy is on the ground, he is helplessly getting beaten, when that is not the case. Additionally, as a martial artist, he should be more familiar with various forms of martial arts and not be so closed minded to think that anything but stand up fighting is not in the spirit of martial arts.

Also, I agree with Wolf. Of course Jackie Chan doesnt like it. It takes away from his mystique when people see what real fighting is about.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 2:40 pm

Ya, martial arts is no longer some strange ninja training magic learned exclusively by training 12 hours a day with an aged asian man with a gray beard who answers everything with proverbs and riddles.

The 70s/80s portrayal of martial arts is nearly over as far as holywood is concerned. Bloodsport, Karate Kid(curious jackie chan is in the pathetic remake) Enter the dragon and the list goes on and on.

Cung Le may not have been devoted to MMA enough as far as some fans are concerned, but he was smart enough to understand that he needed to use MMA as a springboard to bigger and better things if he wanted action roles in the coming decades. I hope he makes a return. America loves a come back tale.
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 2:41 pm

Sounded like he wants a standing 8 count in MMA. That would suck.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Really? Who gives a fuck what Jackie Chan thinks? Like the little prick is paying your bills. He is just some guy who does martial arts films, BFD.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
Really? Who gives a fuck what Jackie Chan thinks? Like the little prick is paying your bills. He is just some guy who does martial arts films, BFD.

No one made you read this thread. I posted something I thought was suprising, whats wrong with that?
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 4:04 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Cung Le may not have been devoted to MMA enough as far as some fans are concerned, but he was smart enough to understand that he needed to use MMA as a springboard to bigger and better things if he wanted action roles in the coming decades. I hope he makes a return. America loves a come back tale.

I like Cung Le too. I just like making fun of him. I will admit he's the poster child of making that movie shit work in MMA. Too bad he isn't 28 and have a dedication to the sport.
Back to top Go down
ram_escandon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
ram_escandon

Favorite Fighter(s) : Frank Mir, BJ Penn, Wandy, Matt Serra

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:33 pm

I used to think that Jackie Chan was a good guy. But, now it's obvious that he's an old, ignorant foreigner. No offense to the OP because it's still a good discussion, but who cares what Jackie Chan thinks. He's the one who sold out and is disrespecting his martial art.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:43 pm

Just goes to show you that Jackie Chan is just an actor and a stuntman. Not a true martial artist. He might be shocked when he finds that Kung Fu implements many of the ground engagements they do in MMA today. He might have an heart attack when he realizes that most techniques in Kung Fu were used to kill people in as few strikes as possible.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 10:13 pm

Kung Fu means essentially "martial arts from china" so that is pretty generic, and I am sure he knows plenty of ground fighting basics and lots about real traditional martial arts.

But as a guy who has turned martial arts into comedy dance routines, he doesn't have a lot of room to talk about disrespecting them in anyway.

I see no reason to get angry with aged figures of the pre-MMA martial arts world. They were used to things the way they were and are threatened by change. How are they supposed to feel?
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 10:51 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:

Are you trying to imply that Jackie Chan doesnt actually know any martial arts and that he is just an actor??
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 11:51 pm

I don't care much about Jackie Chan's opinion much either, but if MMA is going to get big in China, what Jackie Chan thinks does matter at least to some degree. Imagine the influence Brett Favre had on the city of Green Bay about 5 years ago - that's the influence Jackie Chan has on the entire country of China.

I'm not Chinese or a fan of Jackie Chan (I'll go so far as to say there is no type of movie that I like less than Kung Fu) but I am in China now. I came here last August and I'm teaching English to university students. Jackie Chan is like a national icon here. He's in about 20% of TV commercials, on 40% of billboards and poster advertisements, he has his own TV shows, and I think when the government was trying to raise money to save the Olympic Bird's Nest he put on a sold out concert.

At this exact moment, sitting kind of slouched over with my laptop blocking most of my view beyond it, I can still see Jackie Chan's face in two places - on a sticker that is on the box that my humidifier came in, and on a can of shoe polish. You would not believe the influence that guy has here.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 10:07 am

Jackie Chan dont like MMA and I dont like Jackie Chan movies so we are even lol.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 am

I wonder what Owen Wilson and Chris Tucker think about MMA? I'd like to hear their take on ground fighting as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?   Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA? Empty

Back to top Go down

Jackie Chan doesn't like MMA?
Page 1 of 1