Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NFL MVP

Go down 
+4
NoRegret
bobbitt15
Bigs03
LTFG
8 posters

NFL MVP
Peyton Manning
NFL MVP Vote_lcap60%NFL MVP Vote_rcap
 60% [ 9 ]
Drew Brees
NFL MVP Vote_lcap0%NFL MVP Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Brett Favre
NFL MVP Vote_lcap20%NFL MVP Vote_rcap
 20% [ 3 ]
Philip Rivers
NFL MVP Vote_lcap0%NFL MVP Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Chris Johnson
NFL MVP Vote_lcap20%NFL MVP Vote_rcap
 20% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Who you guys got here?

We have Peyton Manning leading the 14-2 Colts with 4,500 yds., 33 TD's, 16 INT's, 68.8% and a 99.9 rating... Drew Brees leading the 13-3 Saints with 4,388 yds., 34 TD's, 11 INT's, 70.6% and a 109.6 rating... Brett Favre leading the 12-4 Vikings with 4,202 yds., 33 TD's, 7 INT's, 68.4% and a 107.2 rating... Philip Rivers leading the 13-3 Chargers with 4,254 yds., 28 TD's, 9 INT's, 65.2% and a 104.4 rating... And Chris Johnson leading the 8-8 Titans with 2,006 rush yds., 14 TD's a 5.6 avg. and 503 receiving yards and 2 receiving TD's...

Sure guys like Roethlisberger, Brady, Schaub, Romo and Rodgers had good years as well, but we all know they aren't really in the discussion...
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm going with Manning... IMO, he is the most talented QB I have ever seen and does things no other can. They really could have gone undefeated and couldn't have with the other QB's on the list. He's really the offensive coordinator and co-head coach as well and leads a team like no other. End of career, he will be the GOAT.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 3:12 pm

I went with Johnson, he's the only reason the Titans recovered from 0-6 to 8-8 and he topped 2000 yards which is awesome.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Johnson. Brees, Manning, and Farve faded down the stretch
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 3:40 pm

Its between Johnson and Manning.

Manning means the most to his team, and Chris Johnson had an amazing season.

Brees takes 3rd though IMO
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 3:54 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Johnson. Brees, Manning, and Farve faded down the stretch

Fading down the stretch? Forcing a guy the rock to pad his stats over the last five games to the point of 28 carries per and 4.3 average just so he can reach 2,000 and have a shot at the single season record isn't fading? He averaged 19 carries and 6.4 over the first 11 games and then they started forcing things, and his performance suffered... Nah, I'm not buying into that hype train...

Good year, sure... NFL MVP? Eh...

Last edited by LikesToFightGuy on Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I meant 11 games... doh)
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 3:59 pm

I was down to Farve, Manning, or Chris.

I eliminate CJ because his team wasn't very good. How valuable can you be if you can't get your team to a winning record?

As far as Farve vs Manning I go with Manning because I think Brett has more tools around him.

But I really really want to vote for CJ.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 4:14 pm

The quality of the Titans season has nothing to do with Chris Johnson. They started 0-6 because they had Kerry freaking Collins starting for them through the first 6 games. Collins shouldn't have had a job in the NFL last season much less this. Last year they won somehow IN SPITE of him not because of him.

Without Chris Johnson the Titans would've been 1-15 this year. He's not a QB but he did put up one of the most prolific rushing seasons in NFL HISTORY. The MVP isn't all about wins/losses.

I just can't justify voting for Manning or any other QB when none of them distinguished themselves from the rest of the pack. Chris Johnson is BY FAR the best RB in the league, it's not even close. He should win the MVP.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
I was down to Farve, Manning, or Chris.

I eliminate CJ because his team wasn't very good. How valuable can you be if you can't get your team to a winning record?

As far as Farve vs Manning I go with Manning because I think Brett has more tools around him.

But I really really want to vote for CJ.

It's expected Farmer... Fans are always looking for the next great thing... See Bigs if you doubt this...lol
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Bigs03 wrote:
The quality of the Titans season has nothing to do with Chris Johnson. They started 0-6 because they had Kerry freaking Collins starting for them through the first 6 games. Collins shouldn't have had a job in the NFL last season much less this. Last year they won somehow IN SPITE of him not because of him.

Without Chris Johnson the Titans would've been 1-15 this year. He's not a QB but he did put up one of the most prolific rushing seasons in NFL HISTORY. The MVP isn't all about wins/losses.

I just can't justify voting for Manning or any other QB when none of them distinguished themselves from the rest of the pack. Chris Johnson is BY FAR the best RB in the league, it's not even close. He should win the MVP.

Bigs... C'mon... BY FAR? I'd argue he had this season in large part because of the lack of talent on the team (And the fact that they kept forcing him the rock despite declining numbers as I eluded to earlier). I'd in fact still take All Day over CJ if given the choice. BY FAR is a stretch unless you're talking fastest RB in the league...
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Bigs03 wrote:

Its not about being the best at your position to win the MVP. Andre Johnson just posted back to back 1500 yard seasons. He's the 2nd guy in the history of the NFL to ever do that. He also lead the league by over 200 yards. Yet he isn't even considered.

The Colts are a well oiled machine because of Manning. The QB is the most important position and he is the best there has ever been.

The Titans magic turnaround is the perfect example of why the QB is the most VALUABLE position. As soon they went to VY, they started to win. When VY played like crap they lost. Just look at the last game of the year. Now when CJ plays exceptionally well they still didn't always win. He had 284 yards (rush+rec) and 3 TDs vs Hou and they still lost.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 4:37 pm

I think Darrelle Revis needs to be added to the list. He is hands down the best defender in the league and is the key reason why the Jets have the best best D in the league.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 5:09 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:

Bigs... C'mon... BY FAR? I'd argue he had this season in large part because of the lack of talent on the team (And the fact that they kept forcing him the rock despite declining numbers as I eluded to earlier). I'd in fact still take All Day over CJ if given the choice. BY FAR is a stretch unless you're talking fastest RB in the league...

Yes, by far. And you can have Peterson. Check the stats, Johnson was the best...BY FAR.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 5:12 pm

It was tough but I went Farve over Manning by a hair. Brett has only about 300 yards less than Peyton as many tds and far less picks. I know if Manning needed the last 3 games his numbers would have been far better than Bretts but at 40 years old Brett had a great year. Manning in my opion will win the award but my vote would go to Brett.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 5:16 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
Bigs03 wrote:

Its not about being the best at your position to win the MVP. Andre Johnson just posted back to back 1500 yard seasons. He's the 2nd guy in the history of the NFL to ever do that. He also lead the league by over 200 yards. Yet he isn't even considered.

The Colts are a well oiled machine because of Manning. The QB is the most important position and he is the best there has ever been.

The Titans magic turnaround is the perfect example of why the QB is the most VALUABLE position. As soon they went to VY, they started to win. When VY played like crap they lost. Just look at the last game of the year. Now when CJ plays exceptionally well they still didn't always win. He had 284 yards (rush+rec) and 3 TDs vs Hou and they still lost.

VY helped the Titans win by not turning the ball over, he's not exactly a prolific passer and as far as starting QBs go...VY isn't even in the top 20 starters in the league. (and this is coming from a UT fan!)

Johnson beat the field in yards by almost 600...yes...6 freaking 00! That's amazing. Oh yeah, and he was second in receiving yards out of the backfield as well.

I love Peyton but his numbers don't distinguish him from other top QBs in the league. He's second in yardage and tied for second in TDs...not to mention he threw 16 INTs.

It just seems to me that if you're gonna vote for Peyton then you need to vote for Farve or Brees as well because they had equally impressive years if not more impressive than Peyton.

Johnson's season was unrivaled and he almost single handedly brought his team from 0-6 to 8-8 which is impressive in itself.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 5:48 pm

Keep in mind there is more to it than just pure numbers. This isn't baseball.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 6:20 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
Keep in mind there is more to it than just pure numbers. This isn't baseball.

I understand that, I just gotta give my vote to Johnson because he had such a monster season and his team went from 0-6 to 8-8 which is also pretty impressive.

Give the MVP to Johnson and Coach of the Year to Peyton.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 8:01 pm

Like someone else said, statistically Manning really didn't separate himself from other QBs this season. Obviously there is more to it than that but I would lean Aaron Rodgers over Manning honestly. Rodgers got his ass kicked early behind an injury plagued O-line and then lead the Packers to nearly 8 straight wins to close the season while putting up huge numbers. If we're going with the argument that the Colts would suck balls if Manning was taken off their team and therefore he's more valuable than anyone else, then shit he should've won every MVP for the last 10 years
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 10:42 pm

Peyton gets my vote, he really is the most valuable player to his team.
Chris Johnson gets serious consideration for joining the 2,000 yard club, but the Titans aren't a winning team so...

Defensive MVP goes to Darelle Revis
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 am

Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
Peyton wins

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4811050&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_4811050

And it wasn't even close. Looks like the voters agree about voting for stat padding running backs on 8-8 teams... No votes for Johnson...
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 6:08 pm

Charles Woodson got no love on this thread. He was more important to the Pack than Revis to the Jets, since the Pack won more games you could argue.

pfft you're delusional. Woodson hasn't shut down the people that Revis has. Take a look at what he's done this year against Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Terelle Owens, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, Ochocinco, none of them had more than 35 yards against him. He is the defensive mvp and it isn't even close!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 6:50 pm

I got no problems with Woodson winning at all. He had 9 picks and 3 returned for TDs or something like that. He is a hard hitter and not to mention is 1 of the best strippers of the ball in the league. I thought the vote would be alot closer but I cant argue either way both him and Revis had great years. Besides Woodson went to U of M so hell yeah he deserved it lol.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Wolf i just double checked some season stats for both Revis and Woodson and I know stats dont tell the whole story but to say Revis is the defensive MVP and it isnt close is crazy. Woodson had 74 tackles to revis 54. Woodson had 2 sacks revis 0. Woodson 9 picks Revis 6. Woodson 3 tds and Revis 1. Woodson also had 4 forced fumbles to revis's 0. So ur right Revis played his ass off against some of the best recievers in the league but I still dont get how u say not even close.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NFL MVP Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFL MVP   NFL MVP Empty

Back to top Go down

NFL MVP
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ninja's Place :: Sports Discussion :: US Sports-
Jump to: