Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Best of 2013.. what say you?

Go down 
+2
Primetyme199
GDPofDRC
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Best of 2013.. what say you? Empty
PostSubject: Best of 2013.. what say you?   Best of 2013.. what say you? EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 4:01 am

Give out your annual MMA end of the year awards.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Best of 2013.. what say you?   Best of 2013.. what say you? EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 5:11 am

Fighter of the Year - Vitor Belfort.  One doesn't simply deliver three epic and brutal head kick finishes in one year and not win Fighter of the Year.

Runner up: Demetrius Johnson.

HW of the year - Travis Browne, not Cain.  Cain won every fight like he was expected to, with utter and complete doimination.  Travis won in devastating fashion three time, and few were expecting him to crumple Barnett and Overeem like he did.  He's come a long way form nothing, 2014 should be interesting.

Runners Up:  Cain, Hunt, Minakov

LHW of the year - Emanuel Newton.  The guy had a huge year plain and simple.  Four wins including a BFC Tourney and title interim title match, a KO of the Year candidate in one of two wins against Mo Lawal where he was both times a heavy dog.  This guy has been a surprise no doubt.

Co-Runners up: Gustafsson and Glover

MW of the Year - Vitor Belfort.  Yeah Weidman beat Silva twice, that is ludocris, but Vitor's three head kick mauling KO wins are instantly legendary on another level.  That is the kind of stuff people will always be talking about similar the mystique of Crocops Head kick lethality from a decade ago.

Runner up: Chris Weidman

WW of the Year - Robbie Lawler. Feel good story of 2013.  No one did it better at WW this year then Robbie, a pleasure to watch him work his game to success.

Runners up: Matt Brown and Dong Hyum Kim

LW of the Year: Anthony Pettis, just edges out Nurmagomedov.  He didn't fight much, but was decisive in the big fights he did have.  He might meet Khabib this coming year.

Runners up: Khabib Nurmagomedov and Eddie Alvarez

FW of the Year: Chad Medes and Cub Swanson.  Both of these guys had a whirlwind 2013.  Mendes won more fight, Swanson won better fights, both were exciting and dominant though throughout.  Hopefully they will make good fights fo Aldo this year if he gets by Lamas.

Runner up: Daniel Strauss

BW of the Year: No contest here, Ol' butt chin himself is without a doubt the BW fighter of the year.  He choked out 3 top guys and went 15 with another. He still has a lot left in his tank and a title shot is a gaurantee for next year.

Runners up: Renan Barao

Fly of the Year - The Champion, Demetrius Johnson.  His fight with Dodson was one of the best of the year.  He was almost finished yet managed to comeback and find  way to win and even be dominant as the fight went on, add a KO and Sub in his other two big fights and it was a hell of a year.

Runners up: John Dodson and Ali Bagautinov

Womens fighter of the Year: Alexis Davis.  Pretty big year.  Started it off by tapping Baszler, then got the call to the UFC and lit up Sexton in a great fight and stifled Carmouche.  Hope she is the one...

Runners up: Jessica Aguilar.  

Fight of the Year - Wanderlei vs Stann.  This was a very good year for great fights, but the true measure of greatness for me is how on the edge of my seat I am in a fight, how high I jump when something crazy happens, how loud I yell when more crazy happens and how hard my heart beats when the tension of the fight is at it's highest.  Silva vs Stann pushed all of those to the limit.

Runners up: Chandler vs Alvarez II and Grice vs Burmudez

KO of the Year: Bigfoot obliterates Overeem.  Obliterates doesn't begin to describe the savagery of Bigfoot's finish on the Reem.  Annihibliterate works way better.

Runners up: Hunt KO Struve, Newton KO Lawal, Woodley KO Koscheck, Saunders KO Amaya

Sub of the Year - In only here 2nd pro fight, Rose Namajunas flying arm bar against Kathina Catron was a thing of beauty.

Runners up: Pettis Arm Bars Henderson, Burkman Chokes Out Fitch, Faber Chokes out McDonald.

Card of the Year - UFC 166 Cain vs JDS III.  Lots of excitement on this card.  The two HW fights in the Main Event and Co-Main Event were true displayes of MMA at it's finest, a bona-fide Fight of the Year candidate in Sanchez vs Melendez, Main Card knockout finishes from flyweight to heavy, and a preliminary full of entertaining competitions and finishes.  All around a great card.

Runner up: UFC on FOX 7

Upset of the Year: Travis Browne vs Alistair Overeem and Josh Barnett.  I gave him a heavyweight punchers chance in both, he won with more then what I thought he could, first with heart and fortitude to stay compsed against Reem and find his offense to finish, then by using a defensive knee to make extremely quick work of Barnett.  Unreal.

Runner up: Emanuel Newton KO Mo Lawal
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0

PostSubject: Re: Best of 2013.. what say you?   Best of 2013.. what say you? EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 12:42 pm

Fighter of the Year: Demetrious Johnson

HW of the year: Cain Velasquez

LHW of the year: Glover Teixeira

MW of the Year: Chris Weidman

WW of the Year: Robbie Lawler

LW of the Year: Anthony Pettis

FW of the Year: Cub Swanson

BW of the Year: Urijah Faber

Fly of the Year: Demetrious Johnson

Fight of the Year: Gilbert Melendez vs Diego Sanchez

KO of the Year: Weidman vs Anderson for the shock

Sub of the Year: Pettis arm bars Henderson

Card of the Year: UFC 166 Cain vs JDS III

Upset of the Year: Travis Browne vs Alistair Overeem
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Best of 2013.. what say you?   Best of 2013.. what say you? EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 1:44 am

Fighter of the Year: Demetrious Johnson

Women's Fighter of the Year: Holly Holm

HW of the year: Cain Velasquez

LHW of the year: Glover Teixeira

Fight of the Year: Gilbert Melendez vs Diego Sanchez

Women's Fight of the Year: Tecia Torres vs. Rose Namajunas- Invicta FC 6

KO of the Year: Derrick Mehman vs Rolles Gracie - WSOF 5

Sub of the Year: Kenny Robertson vs Brock Jardine (Ham Ripper)

Card of the Year: UFC 16

Upset of the Year: Rogerio Nogueira vs Rashad Evans (2 reasons: the result and I was upset because the fight sucked)

Last edited by Primetyme199 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best of 2013.. what say you?   Best of 2013.. what say you? EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 2:26 am

Prime, great minds think alike when it comes to fighters of the year  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Best of 2013.. what say you?   Best of 2013.. what say you? EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 3:41 am

I would have put Weidman as fighter of the year if he would have won any other way then by injury TKO.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: Best of 2013.. what say you?   Best of 2013.. what say you? EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 4:10 am

Fighter of the Year - ViTRT Belfort

HW of the year - Travis Browne

LHW of the year - gustaffson

MW of the Year - Vitor Belfort.  

WW of the Year - Robbie Lawler.

LW of the Year: Anthony Pettis,

FW of the Year:  Cub Swanson.

BW of the Year: cali kid

Fly of the Year - DJ  

Womens fighter of the Year: Admittedly i follow this very little but it goes to rhonda for that ass

Fight of the Year - Wanderlei vs Stann.  Wand promises violence and I like

KO of the Year: Bigfoot vs Overeem.  

Sub of the Year - anderson vs chael (not sure if it was this calender year but fuck it)

Card of the Year - UFC 166 Cain vs JDS III.  

Upset of the Year: Travis Browne vs Alistair Overeem
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Best of 2013.. what say you?   Best of 2013.. what say you? EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 6:28 pm

Fighter of the Year: Travis Browne

Women's Fighter of the Year: Ronda Rousey

HW of the year: Travis Browne

LHW of the year: Alexander Gustafsson

Fight of the Year: Mark Hunt vs Antonio Silva with an honorable mention to Gilbert Melendez vs Diego Sanchez

Women's Fight of the Year: Cat Zingano vs Meisha Tate

KO of the Year: Vitor Belfort vs Luke Rockhold

Sub of the Year: Josh Burkman vs Jon Fitch

Card of the Year: UFC 166

Upset of the Year: Chael Sonnen choking Shogun out in the first round
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Best of 2013.. what say you?   Best of 2013.. what say you? EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 3:47 am

Fighter of the Year- Urijah Faber. 4 wins 3 finishes, too bad Barao is the best fighter in the World(IMO), I think Faber could have pulled it off vs Cruz.

HW of the Year- Cain. Most impressive performance vs the highest quality opponent. He was The Man at HW.

LHW of the Year- Glover. I would say the rightful LHW title hold Gus but that was his only fight this year. Glover has 3 quality wins this year and is the next LHW Champion.

MW of the Year- Vitor. 3 great finishes, hard to argue here. Chris wins are someone marked by the bizarre finishes. But he looked to clearly be the better man both nights. Still, Vitor.

WW of the Year- Hendricks. It wasn't domination in any way but I felt Johnny clearly did enough to take the title from GSP. Everyone in the cage thought so. Johnny, GSP and the ref. Along with most people there in attendance and many watching. Can't wait for the fight with Robbie.

LW of the Year- Pettis. Based off quality of finishes. But shout out to Bobby Green who gets the edge for 2nd place over Khabib since Khabib missed weight 1 time.

FW of the year- Aldo. I could be missing something but nothing that sticks out as better 2 wins then Edgar and Zombie.

BW of the Year- Faber. My pick for fighter of the year. He stayed active, fought top competition and had some strong finishes. Faber was on fire in 2013.

Fly of the Year- Mouse. Hands down Mouse put it down in 2013 and when other Champions struggled in 2013, Mouse dominated.

Female Fighter of the Year- Davis. This might deserve to go to Ronda but Davis had a solid year and if there is any way I can't give it to Ronda I won't, so I didn't.

Fight of the Year- Grice vs Bermudez. Didn't have the name value and the fight wasn't on the biggest stage since it was an undercard fight. But this fight was just too strong not to get my vote. Amazing scrap.

KO of The Year- Wanderlei Silva. Just for me personally, it doesn't get much better in MMA right now then seeing Wand win. This was an epic fight full of fireworks with a great finish.

Sub of the Year- Pettis. Subbing Bendo in the very 1st round.

Upset of the Year- Burkman. Putting Fitch to sleep in under a minute. Stands out more then any other upset.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best of 2013.. what say you?   Best of 2013.. what say you? EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 4:19 am

Jones will destroy Glover. GSP actually thought he won the fight.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Best of 2013.. what say you?   Best of 2013.. what say you? EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 4:24 am

freakzilla wrote:
Jones will destroy Glover. GSP actually thought he won the fight.

Well I'll just disagree with you about Glover. Also body language when the bell rang tells you the entire story. GSP did not think he won that fight. But he would never admit that. But you won't be able to convince me otherwise. Everyone in the building thought Hendricks won. Like I mentioned the ref in the cage and everyone cageside had the fight for Hendricks.

This image tells it all for me.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Best of 2013.. what say you?   Best of 2013.. what say you? EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 6:35 am

Fighter of the year - Vitor Belfort

HW of the year - Travis Browne

LHW of the year - Emanuel Newton

MW of the year - Chris Weidman

WW of the year - Robbie Lawler

LW of the year - Anthony Pettis

FW of the year - Jose Aldo

BW of the year - Urijah Faber

FLW of the year - Demetrious Johnson

Woman of the year - Ronda Rousey

Fight of the year - Jon Jones vs Alexander Gustafsson

KO of the year - Vitor Belfort over Luke Rockhold

Sub of the year - Josh Burkman over Jon Fitch

Upset of the year - Anthony Perosh KOs Vinny Malgalhaes
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Best of 2013.. what say you?   Best of 2013.. what say you? EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 3:56 am

Most satisfying moments of the year for me.
Diaz KO Maynard...I'm sure Thompson KO Diaz will be up there for most of you.
JDS KO Hunt
Silva KO Reem
Browne KO Reem
Browne KO Barnett
Wand KO Stann
Weidman KO Silva
Vitor KO Bisping
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best of 2013.. what say you?   Best of 2013.. what say you? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best of 2013.. what say you?
Page 1 of 1