Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

After 168

Go down 
+3
acccardinal12
GDPofDRC
jewzilla
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jewzilla
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
jewzilla

Favorite Fighter(s) : GOAT: GSP. Favorite retired: Brock, Chuck. Always supporting: Hendo, Chael, Cerrone, Forrest, Faber.

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: After 168   After 168 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 8:39 pm

So Anderson is either shelved long term or retired. GSP I shelved/retired. Brock is retired. Chuck, Hughes, Wandy, And Franklin are of the past. Cain, Bones, and Aldo are now facing the company, but IMO do not have the drawing power the old timers had.

My question is where is Zuffa headed? The guys that built the sport are gone, and the new generation is appealing to hardcore fans.

How does Dana and gang immortalize any of the current fighters?

I like guys like Pettis, Weidman, Bendo, an Gus but I don't know that they can fill the void at this time.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 4:47 pm

Zuffa has been heading down the wrong path by trying to focus fan interest instead of letting stars be born organically.  Dana and Zuffa immortalize nobody, fighters did that on their own through what they accomplish in the cage, that is how it should stay, should but won't.  MMA is going to be as big as it should be, as big as people who are MMA fans make it.  It could be that never being good enough for the promotion has created the dearth that seems to of arisen today.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Once again reports of Brock coming back, but DW said he didn't know instead of no. I could see them throwing money at him just fir this reason. The big names are almost gone.
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 8:16 am

jewzilla wrote:
So Anderson is either shelved long term or retired. GSP I shelved/retired. Brock is retired. Chuck, Hughes, Wandy, And Franklin are of the past. Cain, Bones, and Aldo are now facing the company, but IMO do not have the drawing power the old timers had.

My question is where is Zuffa headed? The guys that built the sport are gone, and the new generation is appealing to hardcore fans.

How does Dana and gang immortalize any of the current fighters?

I like guys like Pettis, Weidman, Bendo, an Gus but I don't know that they can fill the void at this time.

depends what the fans are looking for imo.

when guys like liddell and hughes were dominating, it was as much because there was no depth of talent in the sport at that time as it was because of their legendary fighting ability. it's questionable whether any of them would've had the talent to win a title at all in this era, they certainly wouldn't have been able to enjoy such dominant reigns.

there is a dearth of personality in todays UFC roster but the depth of competition is light years ahead of what it was. if you're looking for characters to be marketed to you there isn't really much to choose from, but there's every chance people will look back at the careers of guys like cain, jones and aldo with the same reverence as liddell or hughes if they carry on performing as they have been doing.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 5:50 am

Another angle of Silva's injury. NSFW

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 6:43 am

lol! lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
jewzilla
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
jewzilla

Favorite Fighter(s) : GOAT: GSP. Favorite retired: Brock, Chuck. Always supporting: Hendo, Chael, Cerrone, Forrest, Faber.

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 4:57 pm

BUT there is a general consensus that Brock is not a legit fighter, therefore it would be impossible for him to build his own immortal badass reputation without the UFC. Yet brock is the biggest UFC ppv draw, or was.

Basically what I was getting to is mma becoming a sport and fighters being so well rounded, there isn't anyhing that really defines them like the glory days. How does the UFC fix it?
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 am

jewzilla wrote:
BUT there is a general consensus that Brock is not a legit fighter, therefore it would be impossible for him to build his own immortal badass reputation without the UFC. Yet brock is the biggest UFC ppv draw, or was.

Basically what I was getting to is mma becoming a sport and fighters being so well rounded, there isn't anyhing that really defines them like the glory days. How does the UFC fix it?

not being funny, but if that's a consensus opinion then the intelligence of the people who make up the consensus has to be seriously questioned.

you don't win and defend the UFC heavyweight title if you aren't a legit fighter. he obviously fell short of the claims of both his and the UFC's publicists but to say he wasn't a legit fighter is pretty ridiculous whichever way you look at it.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 6:14 pm

Brock would've been great had he not earned his diverticulitus. He already said no so it doesn't matter now. I think the UFC is gonna sell out to Fox within five years. This whole Fox deal was bad for Zuffa imo.
Back to top Go down

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Brock is going to wrestle in the WWE until wrestlemania.
Back to top Go down
jewzilla
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
jewzilla

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 10:14 pm

I'm a Brock fan. Ninjas place, sherdog, and anyone else stuck in 2007 never have him credit. I didn't say he was coming back either. I saw him f5 mark Henry on raw and that put an end to his UFC return rumors. I would really like to see a super heavy division for the freak shows like Brock, Ubereem, Bigfoot etc.

And BBC you're crazy if you think UFC will sell out. Dana White is a power hungry fool and I have no doubts the mob is balls deep into Zuffa. Pass whatever you're smoking cause I want some.
Back to top Go down
bronzehole
White Belt
White Belt
bronzehole

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Would JDS or the othertop HWs be able to move up and beat up on the the SHW division?
Back to top Go down
jewzilla
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
jewzilla

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 12:31 pm

If they weighed 266 or more I don't see why not. But I honestly don't see Cain or JDS benefitting from walking in that big. I would imagine it would slow them down compared to a guy like Brock who is pretty quick around that weight.
Back to top Go down
bronzehole
White Belt
White Belt
bronzehole

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 12:47 pm

they could just drink a gallon of water before weigh in and not shit for a couple of days prior. I think jds could woop on these guys at 250. Wasn`t talking about cain though unless he wants 2 belts. Personally i see no reason for SHW however i dont think there should be a weight limit at hw, no point limiting the freaks
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 1:40 pm

The good HWs would annihilate guys like Brock who weigh more then 265.
Back to top Go down
jewzilla
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
jewzilla

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 3:28 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
The good HWs would annihilate guys like Brock who weigh more then 265.

That's why I want a freak show division.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 3:47 pm

I do to, but there is such a dearth of talent once you get outside of the normal big guy range, there would be a lot of fights that were simply heavy breathing clinics. 

The vast majority of currant super heavies are tubs of lard.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 6:33 pm

I think the Brock rumors were started by himself to use as leverage for his new WWE contract.
Back to top Go down
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 7:52 am

the only reason there's a womens division is so that the UFC can make money from ronda rouseys arse. that being the case, i don't see what would stop them creating a SHW division just to rinse an unearned buck out of someone like brock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

After 168 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After 168   After 168 Empty

Back to top Go down

After 168
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ninja's Place :: Fight Discussion :: MMA-
Jump to: