Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'

Go down 
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'  Empty
PostSubject: Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'    Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'  EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 1:40 pm

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/8/7/3225762/lorenzo-fertitta-frank-mir-going-to-strikeforce-is-a-one-time
If you thought that Frank Mir coming to Strikeforce would open the door for future UFC talent, think again.

Lorenzo Fertitta firmly shut the door on any and all possibilities earlier today, telling ESPN:

Quote :
"You're not going to see more of it. This is a one-time situation."

When it was announced that Mir would head to Showtime to fight Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix winner Daniel Cormier, many felt like Pandora's Box was potentially being opened. If the man who just fought for the UFC heavyweight title can compete in Strikeforce, then anyone could.

Instead, Fertitta explains the circumstances that led to the surprise decision:

Quote :
"It was a situation where Cormier had to fight one more time for Showtime," Fertitta said. "All the Strikeforce heavyweights had come to the UFC and that didn't leave us with a stable of guys. We wanted to put on a very relevant fight that is credible."

The stakes are obviously high with this fight as the undefeated Cormier could come in and earn a heavyweight title shot with a victory over a former two-time UFC champion. For Mir, stopping the American Kickboxing Academy product's momentum would put him on the fast track to the top of the division again.

Believe it or not, the Zuffa executives had to talk it over with their broadcast partner Fox before they received the go-ahead with the decision.

Quote :
"We had to talk to Fox about it and because Cormier is coming to the UFC after this last fight, we could go ahead and give him that fight. Cormier is the real deal and he's going to be fighting a guy with incredible pedigree. If Frank Mir wins, he's all of a sudden back in the mix. From his perspective it was a good thing, otherwise he had to get in the back of the line."
Back to top Go down

Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'    Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'  EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 1:47 pm

I don't understand why they want to let Gilbert waste away in Strikeforce and not throw him a couple UFC guys.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'    Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'  EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 1:52 pm

Ali wrote:
I don't understand why they want to let Gilbert waste away in Strikeforce and not throw him a couple UFC guys.
I don't think Zuffa has much of a choice on what they want to do with Gil. I'm sure they would love to have him in the UFC. But Gil belongs to Showtime and Showtime and Zuffa have a deal in place. I don't see how SF and Showtime keep going once it expires. But then again, I didn't think they would make this deal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'    Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'  EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 1:56 pm

OU wrote:
Ali wrote:
I don't think Zuffa has much of a choice on what they want to do with Gil. I'm sure they would love to have him in the UFC. But Gil belongs to Showtime and Showtime and Zuffa have a deal in place. I don't see how SF and Showtime keep going once it expires. But then again, I didn't think they would make this deal.

I understand Gil is contracted to Strikeforce/Showtime but I don't see Zuffa making any effort to bring over some UFC Lightweights for Melendez to fight.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'    Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'  EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Ali wrote:
OU wrote:
Ali wrote:

I understand Gil is contracted to Strikeforce/Showtime but I don't see Zuffa making any effort to bring over some UFC Lightweights for Melendez to fight.
There were rumors in the past. I remember the 1st rumor was Jim Miller, back when he was in the mix in the UFC. There was a rumor of BJ Penn turning down a fight with Gil. It's hard to convince a title contender to risk his UFC title shot by taking on Gil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'    Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'  Empty

Back to top Go down

Lorenzo Fertitta: Frank Mir going to Strikeforce 'is a one-time situation'
Page 1 of 1