Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well

Go down 
+3
bobbitt15
killerofchicken
KingsOwn19
7 posters
AuthorMessage
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well Empty
PostSubject: Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well   Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well EmptySun May 20, 2012 3:13 am

Josh Barnett was not the only one who broke his hand. Another layoff for Cormier. So he dont got next.

sucks..a 33 year old guy riding momentum can't afford to be suffering so many setbacks.

http://www.mmafighting.com/strikeforce/2012/5/20/3031920/hand-surgery-is-next-on-strikeforce-champ-daniel-cormiers-agenda

MMA Fighting on Facebook.

May 20, 2012 - SAN JOSE -- What's next for Daniel Cormier?

That was the question on everyone's mind after he manhandled veteran Josh Barnett to win the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix tournament on Saturday night at the HP Pavilion.

Will he go straight to the UFC, where he'd clearly fit in among the division's elite, or will he fight again in Strikeforce?

The answer, for now: Neither. A visit to the surgeon is on deck before anything else goes down in Cormier's career.

Cormier broke his right hand in the opening stanza of his five-round battle with the former UFC heavyweight champion. It was the same hand he broke when he knocked out Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva in September in the tournament semifinals.

The former Olympic wrestler decided against surgery the first time around, which made for an eight-month stretch between his fights. This time, he wants to let it properly heal.

"I think this time I'm going to take a different approach," Cormier said. "I think I'm going to have surgery on it and get it fixed, because I don't want it to be recurring and then end up costing me later and later on down the line."

Cormier never bothered telling his corner that he thought his hand was broken. Instead, the early injury forced him to improvise.

"You're in a fight, you have to use all your weapons," said Cormier. "That's why I was kicking, I was punching, I was kneeing him in there. Josh is too good to fight handicapped. I don't think my coaches picked up on [the injury] because I didn't tell them. I just kept fighting."

That approach led to an epiphany for the undefeated American Kickboxing Academy star during the second round, which led to the fight turning to his favor for good.

"The biggest surprise was when I took him down in the second round and just kind of stayed here," Cormier said. "It was very surprising to me how easy it was to stay in his guard, he's such a good leg lock guy that I thought maybe he would let me pass through his half-guard or something.

"I made an adjustment in the fight when I realized he was going to allow me to control him on the bottom. It was a little easier with my strikes when I realized he was going to respect my takedowns. It changed things a little bit."

Still, Cormier was impressed with the toughness displayed by his opponent, who wasn't at the post-fight press conference.

"Josh did a great job," Cormier said. "He fought tough, he fought hard, he was in there in my face the whole time. I couldn't believe some of the shots that I landed in there, especially the two head kicks. I couldn't believe that he stayed up."

Cormier has one fight left on his Strikeforce contract. He hopes to fight again in 2012. No one would speculate as to whom Cormier would meet. After all, who knows what Strikeforce will look like six months down the road? Cormier simply wishes to focus on getting healthy.

"Normally when you get surgery you get it to heal faster," he said. "It's not as bad as it was the first time, because the first time, I could hardly I even move it."

And besides, Cormier has been through far worse predicaments in life than a broken hand, both in competition, where he came up short in several international wrestling meets, and more importantly, in his personal life, where he has coped with quite a bit of tragedy. The heavyweight, who was emotional in the cage after the win, waxed philosophical during the press conference.

"When you think about everyone's trials and tribulations, for me, getting knocked down and getting back up, it made me a stronger person," Cormier said. "Everything's turned back around. Not only is my career going great, but I have two young kids, a great girlfriend, it's just everything is on the up and up right now."

"Now matter how bad things get, eventually the sun is going to shine. "If you just keep it at, pursuing your goals, eventually good things happen to decent people. For a person who is set on his goals, good things happen. Everyone deals with adversity. It's how you bounce back from it."

Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well   Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well EmptySun May 20, 2012 8:17 am

awesome sig man
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well   Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well EmptySun May 20, 2012 11:17 am

I'm not surprised. He throws some of his punches pretty strangely when you watch the replays
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well   Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Is DC going to be another Fedor who breaks his hand every few fights?
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well   Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well EmptySun May 20, 2012 10:59 pm

Not a good sign in terms of career, but he is a young 33 in MMA years. Aside from the hands, the guy really hasn't taken any damage.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well   Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:57 am

He really is the black fedor
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well   Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well EmptyMon May 21, 2012 7:16 pm

Warmaster's Hand

Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well Barnettbrokenhandxray
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well   Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well Empty

Back to top Go down

Daniel Cormier broke his hand as well
Page 1 of 1