Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Any of you guys lawyers?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

Any of you guys lawyers? Empty
PostSubject: Any of you guys lawyers?   Any of you guys lawyers? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Need a legal question answered. In the summer of last year, i was arrested for criminal possession of marijuana (for smoking a joint) in new york city.
When i went to court it got ACD'd (Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal). Now im not sure if it was a 6 month acd or 1 year acd.

Last month i got a UPM which is only a violation. I have court for it in a few days. I am wondering

1. Does a violation fuck me over when i have a pending acd?
2. Would it matter that they occurred in separate counties?
3. Do i need to disclose the prior arrest even though i received an acd for it and the violation happened in a different county?
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys lawyers?   Any of you guys lawyers? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 9:41 pm

I asked someone who's a lawyer on another forum I frequent and this is what he said:

Quote :
I dont know what upm means. If it is a criminal charge, that will wreck his deferred adjudication... regardless of where it happened. But in practice, many/most of the time, the original da that charged will never follow up or check on whether he violated the terms of the deferral
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage, Fedor, Gangster brothers, Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys lawyers?   Any of you guys lawyers? EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Since this is Oggy we are talking about, lol, I'm guessing unlawful possesion of marijuana???
Back to top Go down
https://apps.facebook.com/groupsplus/group.php?id=2139
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys lawyers?   Any of you guys lawyers? EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 1:11 am

yea haha but it is a violation not a misdemeanor.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys lawyers?   Any of you guys lawyers? EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 1:17 am

Ludo wrote:
I asked someone who's a lawyer on another forum I frequent and this is what he said:

Quote :
I dont know what upm means. If it is a criminal charge, that will wreck his deferred adjudication... regardless of where it happened. But in practice, many/most of the time, the original da that charged will never follow up or check on whether he violated the terms of the deferral

it's not a criminal charge or anything. There was no arrest, just a ticket with a court date. UPM is a unlawful possession of marijuana and is a violation in NY state like a speeding ticket.

If you could let him know that i would appreciate it ludo, thanks.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys lawyers?   Any of you guys lawyers? EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 4:31 am

ACD is typically a year for weed and state wide I believe. If your first you was for herb, then you got caught again with the UPM, I'm guessing it "could" affect the ACD. So you could be looking at a violation. It's probably just gonna be a fine thing though. Cause like a ACD is a form of dismissal, so what you might be looking at is now having to pay that original fine. I'm just kind of guessing here, but I have some limited knowledge on at least ACD's. Good luck, don't stress, I'd bring a lawyer, got a freind or Dad's friend whose a lawyer?
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys lawyers?   Any of you guys lawyers? EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 11:15 am

im totally cool with paying a fine. But i just want to make sure im not in danger of that criminal possession charge going on my record. If i have a misdemeanor on my record that will really screw me over. Plus they could fuckin send me to Rikers Island for a month if they really want to fuck with me.

The criminal possession was my 1st ever offense, so i believe that is why they ACD'd it. If getting something that equates to a speeding ticket really effects that i will be really pissed. Guess it's just wait and see now.

So if i play dumb and pretend that i thought the criminal possession was dropped, and thus don't mention it at court, do you think that could work? Or just fuck me over worse?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any of you guys lawyers?   Any of you guys lawyers? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any of you guys lawyers?
Page 1 of 1