Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'

Go down 
+8
bobbitt15
josh200612
MMAEYES
cascade_run
Andrew the Raider King
killerofchicken
Ziggy116
OU
12 posters
AuthorMessage

Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' Empty
PostSubject: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 am

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/113674.html

Rampage Jackson has revealed he is planning a switch to boxing at the end of his UFC contract, following his humbling loss to Jon Jones at UFC 135.

Jackson, the former light-heavyweight champion, is nearing the end of his MMA career at 33 years of age. His loss to Jones, via fourth-round submission, will surely mark his last assault on a UFC title, although he is still expected to have a rematch - most likely with Forrest Griffin - early next year.

Rampage has long complained at the new generation of fighter, with tactics and ground expertise becoming a necessity as MMA continues to evolve. Jackson made his name with one-punch knockouts against the likes of Chuck Liddell and, later in his career, Wanderlei Silva, and he longs for more shootouts before he hangs up his gloves.

Against Jones, Rampage wound up frustrated after the champion consistently used excellent head movement to stay out of Jackson's range, so now Rampage wants to move to boxing, where the ground the game is no longer a factor.

"I hate fighting people who are scared," Jackson told the ESPN UFC Podcast. "When you fight somebody who is scared you never know what they're going to do. They turn and run.

"That's why I'm gonna go to boxing. I'm gonna try boxing because they've got to stand with you. If I get knocked out I don't care because at least it's a fight.

"I've tried a lot of boxing, I'm falling in love with boxing and I know I can put butts on seats over there."

Rampage's immediate future will remain in the UFC though, with the February trip to Japan a likely next destination. The former champion initially called out Mauricio Shogun Rua, but with the Brazilian scheduled to take on Dan Henderson, Griffin would seem the most obvious option.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 11:28 am

Rampage>Haye
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage, Fedor, Gangster brothers, Aldo

PostSubject: Oh Rampage   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 1:40 pm

Back to top Go down
https://apps.facebook.com/groupsplus/group.php?id=2139
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 1:46 pm

Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 1:47 pm

Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' 4188DVY4ZYL._SL500_AA300_
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 1:55 pm

OU wrote:
Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' 4188DVY4ZYL._SL500_AA300_
always thought this sign was worthless, until now...
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 2:59 pm

It would be great for boxing, it wouldn't really effect MMA. But this is what happens when your opponent runs away.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 3:08 pm

how many fights does ole Rampage have left with ZUFFA? im all for him going to boxing, it would make me a bigger fan of it. He's done everything he could in MMA anyways
Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 3:24 pm

I think he should go for it, I would say that Jones did run during the fight, hell he even admitted it, but there is not many people who are going to want to stand toe to toe with a puncher like Rampage and that doesn't make you neccesarily smart to stand toe to toe, that is how you end up sounding like Evander, Smokin' Joe, and others, I just wonder what weight he wants to fight at, Cruiser, Heavy
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Merge the two threads mods!

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/09/30/don-t-worry-rampage-jackson-isnt-going-anywhere-just-yet/

"How else could Jackson have convinced himself that boxing is a sport where he won't have to worry about supposedly scared fighters running from him? Has he not heard that boxing has its share of "elusive" fighters? "

I tend to agree with the writer of this story that a move to boxing isn't gonna guarantee that his opponents trade with him
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 3:41 pm

That was fast lol
Back to top Go down
Ziggy116
Black Belt
Black Belt
Ziggy116

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rampage, Fedor, Gangster brothers, Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 3:44 pm

:/<-:
Back to top Go down
https://apps.facebook.com/groupsplus/group.php?id=2139
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 8:07 pm

I think he should do it and I think he will be good at it. It would make me watch Boxing more.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 8:16 pm

All talk
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 8:37 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
All talk

Agreed. He'd be KOd if he fought ANYBODY.
Back to top Go down
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 8:52 pm

Rampage vs Kimbo
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Primetyme199 wrote:
Rampage vs Kimbo

Do it if Kimbo wins
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 11:05 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
It would be great for boxing, it wouldn't really effect MMA. But this is what happens when your opponent runs away.

How ???

Rampage is a great character but he'd be massacred by any decent professional boxer.

Quinton wouldn't even be able to cut it in the incredibley weak Cruiserweight divisions.

Please stick to MMA, I like the sound of a Shogun rematch, and I'd still love to see Rampage vs. Thiago Silva.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 10:40 pm

Kimbo vs gaga2000 winner
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
cheekynffc
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : froch, hatton, benn, duran, hagler, ponce de leon

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 4:45 am

rampage has never struck me as a particularly intelligent human being but if he thinks it will be so easy to be a relevant boxer he should give it a go. after all, boxers don't use head movement or control the range of a fight do they?

i saw david hayes name mentioned in an earlier post, does anyone seriously think haye would fight jackson the same way he fought klitshko? jackson would present a static target with none of the physical advantages and probably gets obliterated in one or two. presumably he'll campaign as a cruiserweight or cut to light heavyweight, he's not going to go very far just standing in the pocket winging punches irrespective of how weak a division is perceived to be.

i think unlicensed gypsy boxing is the sport jackson is looking for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 12:55 pm

Haye would obliterate Rampage with one hand tied behind his back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'   Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing' Empty

Back to top Go down

Rampage declares: 'I'm gonna go to boxing'
Page 1 of 1