Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash Empty
PostSubject: Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash   Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 1:37 pm

Quote :
When HBO signed Bernard Hopkins to a three-fight contract before his rematch with Jean Pascal on May 21, the network knew that if Hopkins won, it would be obligated to televise his next bout against Chad Dawson by November.

Well, Hopkins went on to outpoint Pascal in a memorable performance to become the oldest fighter in boxing history to win a title. Dawson, the former titleholder, won his fight against Adrian Diaconu on the undercard to preserve his shot at the main event winner. Now Hopkins and Dawson are set to meet Oct. 15.

A news conference to formally announce the fight is scheduled for July 23 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas -- where media will be on hand to cover that night's Amir Khan-Zab Judah fight.

Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer, Hopkins' promoter, and Gary Shaw, Dawson's promoter, both told ESPN.com that deals with their fighters, with HBO and with each other have been agreed to.

However, because HBO's fourth-quarter budget is already tapped, the network is "flipping" Hopkins-Dawson to pay-per-view, a contractual allowance to take the bout off regular HBO and make it a pay-per-view.

With most HBO PPV cards, the promoters are on the hook to sell the fight. The more they sell, the more they and the fighters make while HBO earns a percentage for taking care of production, distribution and marketing.

Hopkins-Dawson is different, and marks the first time HBO has used a "flip" in quite a while. The network and the promoters had already agreed to a set license fee for Hopkins-Dawson -- $3 million -- but HBO moved it to pay-per-view as a way to generate revenue to cover the license fee it is obligated to pay. Once HBO's costs are recovered (if they are at all), the promoters and fighters likely would be cut in on the profits. The network and promoters are still negotiating that part of the deal.

Moving the fight to pay-per-view also means that HBO is financially responsible, at least in large part, for paying for the televised undercard. Because an additional fight means an additional cost, Schaefer and Shaw said there have been discussions about the telecast being only a two-fight televised undercard instead of the usual three-fight PPV undercard, although they prefer three.

"There's no money in the budget to put the fight on HBO, and they have to put the fight on, so therefore it forced the fight on to pay-per-view," Shaw said. "I wanted it on regular HBO."

Schaefer and Shaw told ESPN.com that the site is not set yet but that the card likely will land at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., not far from Hopkins' hometown of Philadelphia. The Prudential Center has hosted several boxing events, mainly involving Tomasz Adamek and Zab Judah.

"We're working on the Prudential Center deal, but it's not done yet," Schaefer said.

Among the undercard bouts being discussed -- but by no means finalized -- are junior welterweight Lucas Matthysse, coming off his close split-decision loss to Devon Alexander last week, against former titlist Kendall Holt; bantamweight Eric Morel against Chris Avalos; and lightweight Jorge Linares against Antonio DeMarco. All three of those potential bouts match a Golden Boy boxer with one of Gary Shaw's fighters.

The card could be difficult, however, because Hopkins has never been a major draw on pay-per-view and the fight will come in the midst of a fall season that includes at least three other higher-profile PPV shows -- Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Victor Ortiz (Sept. 17), Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez (Nov. 12) and an in-the-works rematch between Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito (Dec. 3).

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?columnist=rafael_dan&id=6728123
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash   Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm

I wont pay for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash   Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 11:41 am

timthebim wrote:
I wont pay for it.

I wouldn't pay for a Hopkins PPV either, but still Holt vs Mattysse and Linares vs DeMarco ain't bad for an undercard
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash   Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 5:15 pm

I'm more interested in this fight than Floyd's. B-Hop son
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash   Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 1:35 am

this is gonna be good, I honestly dont think it goes to a decision for some reason.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash   Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 10:22 am

bobbitt15 wrote:
I'm more interested in this fight than Floyd's. B-Hop son

Why ?? Dawson is a feather fisted mental weakling.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash   Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash EmptySun Jul 03, 2011 12:51 pm

Ali wrote:
timthebim wrote:
I wont pay for it.

I wouldn't pay for a Hopkins PPV either, but still Holt vs Mattysse and Linares vs DeMarco ain't bad for an undercard

Holt vs Mattysse will be a good fight but Linares will kill DeMarco.
Back to top Go down
cascade_run
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
cascade_run

PostSubject: Re: Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash   Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 12:19 pm

Dawson will get schooled, he doesn't have the mental ability to see what Hopkins will do to him, he will stop fighting his fight and fight BHop's and that will be his undoing.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash   Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 8:54 am

I would pay if I could afford it they're first fight was entertaining if you ask me, I'm picking Dawson to win this fight as well
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash   Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 1:48 pm

MMAEYES wrote:
I would pay if I could afford it they're first fight was entertaining if you ask me, I'm picking Dawson to win this fight as well

I think you've got Dawson or Hopkins mixed up with Pascal.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash   Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Ali wrote:
MMAEYES wrote:

Damn it your right I suck at life
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash   Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:35 pm

My luck the rematch I was talking about already happened
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash   Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 2:35 pm

MMAEYES wrote:
Ali wrote:
MMAEYES wrote:

Damn it your right I suck at life

No worries, everyone makes mistakes Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash   Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash Empty

Back to top Go down

Hopkins vs Dawson will be PPV because HBO is strapped for cash
Page 1 of 1