Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UFC On Versus 4 Breakdown

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

UFC On Versus 4 Breakdown Empty
PostUFC On Versus 4 Breakdown

UFC On Versus 4 Breakdown Marquardtstory_crop_650x440

Nate Marquardt vs. Rick Story

Ludo: Fresh off the domination of Thiago Alves Rick Story steps in for Anthony Johnson to face Nate Marquardt. Making his debut at Welterweight, Marquardt looks to get a fresh start in a new division in which he hopes to impliment his skillset and an added size advantage. Rick Story looks to make another step toward title contention with a win that will send Marquardt back to 185. Marquardt brings a diverse striking game and a good set of submissions to the table, both of which he will have the advantage in. Story however owns the wrestling advantage and puts on a pace that will tire out most opponents even in great shape stamina wise. His body punches are the kind of things headhunters loathe and he is strong as an ox. I see this fight playing out like many of Story's other fights do. He's going to close the distance, gain the clinch, and punish the body as often as he can. As to whether Marquardt can stop Story, it is a toss up really. If the same Marquardt who fought Palhares and Okami shows up here he won't be knocking anyone out, but if he looks to strike dynamicly and use footwork like he did with Wilson Gouveia he may have a chance to do the impossible. Marquardts best shot at a stoppage is to latch onto Story's neck during a takedown and squeeze the life out of him. If anyone can do it Marquardt would have the kind of crushing guillotine to do it. That said I don't think he can pull it off. I think Story is just too tenacious and too focused on turning this into a gruelling fight.

Prediction: Rick Story by Decision

Pat Barry vs. Cheick Kongo

Ludo: Perhaps the most interesting and perplexing fight on this entire card. Pat Barry is one of the best strikers in the Heavyweight division, his kicks are as harsh as they come and his hands are quick. Cheick Kongo has shown a new side of himself in the cage lately, abandoning his striking for an approach someone might call "wrestling". Lately he has taken to clinching more than usual, and diving for double leg takedowns to avoid power punchers. Pat Barry has looked less than stellar of late. While he did almost cripple Joey Beltran he looked very gunshy and hesitant to throw the right hand he broke against Mirko 'Cro Cop" Fillipovic. Will we see Cheick Kongo return to his old striking ways against someone as dangerous as Barry? I highly doubt it. I also doubt he would do so if Barry wasn't so dangerous given that Pat's grappling is some of the worst in the division. I see this fight consisting mostly of Kongo trying to clinch with Barry and possibly throwing a knee into the Pats testicles, then taking him down and pounding out a stoppage.

Prediction: Cheick Kongo by TKO

Matt Brown vs. John Howard

Ludo: Two men who are likely fighting for their jobs here in Matt 'the immortal' Brown and John 'doomsday' Howard. Matt Brown has never looked outstanding, even before his time in the UFC. John Howard may have a limited repertoire but the things he does he does well. Brown is definitely going to want to secure a takedown here and try to work something on the ground. The only problem is he is going to find it difficult to actually get it there. His takedowns are not nearly as good as Jake Ellenbergers, who struggled at times to secure one. On the ground Brown owns an advantage while Howard is far and away the better striker. Unfortunately for Brown John Howard is all wrong for him. I think Howard is going to impose his overwhelming striking style on Brown and force a stoppage within the first round and a half in brutal fashion.

Prediction: John Howard by KO

Matt Mitrione vs. Christian Morecraft

Ludo: Look for knockout of the night here folks. Matt Mitrione is an up and coming former NFL defensive tackle under the tutiledge of Jeffery "Duke" Roufus. Christian Morecraft posted a submission win over fellow funny-man Sean McCorkle in his last outing while Mitrione knocked out Tim Hague last time around. While Morecraft has better takedowns and a better overall ground game Mitrione has the better striking game with more power and a decent sprawl. Morecraft will be looking for takedowns while Mitrione is going to want to keep this standing. As far as it goes I think athleticism is going to play a huge role in this fight and I just think Mitrione has more of it. I see Mitrione really working footwork and leg kicks to set up a big shot while stuffing takedowns enroute to a sprawl and brawl type win here.

Prediction: Matt Mitrione by KO

Manny Gamburyan vs. Tyson Griffin

Ludo: In Tyson Griffin's first fight in the UFC's Featherweight division he faces Manvel 'the anvil' Gamburyan. Gamburyan's last fight saw him getting dismantled by reigning phenom Jose Aldo while Griffin has dropped three straight in the Lightweight division, the last of which was a controversial decision loss to Nik Lentz. These two will be fairly evenly matched with a power advantage going to Gamburyan in the striking department. Overall strength advantage has to go to Tyson Griffin, who has never been anything but a hard worker. While Griffin has the wrestling advantage Gamburyan will own an advantage in all around ground game, including submissions. One of two things is going to happen in this fight; either Manny is going to knock Tyson Griffin out Gomi style, or Tyson is going to grind out a decision over the Anvil. Personally I think Tyson can survive and grind out a decision from top position.

Prediction: Tyson Griffin by Decision

Joe Stevenson vs. Javier Vazquez

Ludo: Dropping down to featherweight could be one of the better decisions Joe Stevenson has made lately. He is still a fairly young guy but has way more mileage than the average fighter his age. I guess you could say Joe Stevenson is "fight old". With this being his forty fifth fight at only twenty nine years old he has more experience already than most fighters ever see. Javier Vazquez is a jiu jitsu standout under Carlson Gracie who fought his way through King of the Cage just as Stevenson did before finding his way into the WEC. This is a very tough fight for Stevenson. After losing his last two he is probably fighting for his job here and against a tough competitor like Javier he may need to fight like it too. Vazquez has never been finished in his professional mixed martial arts career. He once fought three entire rounds with a torn ACL. This fight will likely be one that goes all over. There will be something for everyone here. As far as striking goes I give a slight edge to Joe Stevenson for his quick hands. Wrestling ability is pretty much a wash at this point with Vazquez having slightly better takedowns. Overall grappling I am having a really hard time justifying an edge to either guy. Both of them are very accomplished grapplers and can submit opponents from anywhere. I think Stevenson's size will start to play a bigger and bigger part as this fight goes on. In the end Stevenson should have his hand raised.

Prediction: Joe Stevenson by Decision

Nik Lentz vs. Charles Oliveira

Ludo: This is an interesting matchup, another in the ever occuring matchup between wrestler and jiu jitsu fighter. Oliveira's biggest accomplishment to date was dispatching and ultimately sending Efrain Escudero out of the UFC. Nik Lentz has made his career out of turning fights ugly. As stated before Lentz will have the wrestling advantage while "Robot Chicken" as I like to call him will have the edge in Jiu Jitsu. Striking is an advantage I'll give to Oliveira due to his diversity and willingness. It is likely that Lentz will be looking for the takedowns early and often. I think Lentz will be able to get the takedowns he needs in this fight and he should be able to avoid the submissions of Oliveira. I don't think Charles has the kind of super strong striking game required or the takedown defense he's going to need to overcome a hard worker like Lentz. Despite lacking the kind of talent his opponents usually have over him Lentz finds a way to win and loves turning fights like this one where he is overmatched in more than one area into a dogfight on the ground.

Prediction: Nik Lentz by Decision

Post your own predictions below or Here!
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

UFC On Versus 4 Breakdown :: Comments

No Comment.

UFC On Versus 4 Breakdown

Page 1 of 1