Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys Empty
PostSubject: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys   Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 2:08 pm

Quote :
Pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao's lopsided decision victory against Shane Mosley on May 7 generated more than 1.3 million pay-per-view buys -- Pacquiao's best box office performance yet -- Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com.

Pacquiao's previous best pay-per-view total was the 1.25 million generated by his eighth-round knockout of Oscar De La Hoya in a big upset in December 2008. Four of Pacquiao's last six fights -- Mosley, De La Hoya, Antonio Margarito and Miguel Cotto -- have topped 1 million buys.

The total was the second-best pay-per-view performance for Mosley, whose lopsided loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in May 2010 sold 1.4 million units.

Arum said Pacquiao-Mosley generated more than $75 million in television revenue with about 700,000 buys coming via cable systems and about 600,000 coming from satellite services.

Pacquiao retained his title in the fight, which took place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and generated a live gate of $8,882,600, the 14th-highest gross in Nevada history from 15,422 tickets sold.

All of Pacquiao's and Mosley's previous significant pay-per-view fights had been handled by HBO PPV. However, Arum made a deal for this fight with Showtime PPV in exchange for wide exposure of the bout on sister network CBS.

The reason Arum gave for the lag in getting pay-per-view numbers and for why he is unsure of more precise totals is because Showtime, largely out of the pay-per-view business in recent years, does not have the kind of database and expertise to extrapolate numbers like HBO does.

"We know we have a little over 1.3 million," Arum said. "What we don't have are some of the smaller cable systems. What I'm saying is I know we go to the bank counting a little over a 1.3 million. I know we'll go up from there. How much up, I have no experience in this. This was all done for us in the past by HBO, which had experience, charts and all kinds of data from past fights to compare the fight to. Showtime can't do it because they haven't done this in so long. They don't have the database that you need, but I'm feeling very, very happy because I know I've done at least 1.3 million.

"How far over we are remains to be seen, and I have no way to make a prediction. Obviously, on the outstanding systems we did something. So that will determine how much above 1.3 million. But I don't think we have enough outstanding numbers to say we will be over 1.4 million, so I think we will wind up somewhere between 1.3 and 1.4 million."

Pacquiao is next scheduled to fight Nov. 12 against rival Juan Manuel Marquez, against whom he is 1-0-1 in two controversial decisions, at the MGM Grand. Marquez has to first win a July 16 tune-up bout.

Which network will be awarded the rights to Pacquiao-Marquez III has not been determined, Arum said.

"We're on the clock and we're discussing it with of them now, how we're going to do it and which network we're going to do it with," he said.

Arum said Showtime had the right of first negotiation based on the deal for Pacquiao-Mosley.

"We worked out how we would do that first negotiation and everybody is happy with the procedure," Arum said. "But we are also discussing it with HBO."

Arum said he was in no rush to make a decision. The national media tour to promote Pacquiao-Marquez III won't begin until late August, so there is time for Arum to make a deal.

"I've got more than a whole month to get that done, so we're not going to agonize," Arum said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=6645782
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys   Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 4:58 pm

1.3 are u kidding me??????
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys   Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 5:41 pm

wow thats a big number
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys   Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 5:23 am

timthebim wrote:

No, is your reaction positive astonishment or negative ?
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys   Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Ali wrote:
timthebim wrote:

It was more of a bit shocked than anything. I had no idea they would do that much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys   Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 7:18 pm

timthebim wrote:
Ali wrote:
timthebim wrote:

It was more of a bit shocked than anything. I had no idea they would do that much.

That's the power of having CBS involved.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys   Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Ali wrote:
timthebim wrote:
Ali wrote:
timthebim wrote:

That's the power of having CBS involved.

Must be. I was thinking 750k.
Back to top Go down
TopNotch86
TopNotch86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Floyd Mayweather Jr., Timothy Bradley, Shane Mosley, Cornelius Bundrage, Jermaine Taylor, Bernard Hopkins

PostSubject: Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys   Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 3:17 pm

yawn! pacquiaos a fraud and always will be...maybe hell fight floyd in a few years when he reaches the over 38 requirement of pacquiaos opponents lately...
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys   Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 4:20 pm

wtf^
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys   Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 7:15 pm

I was shocked as hell when I read this, honestly no clue why it drew that well....Manny's the shit but 1.3?
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys   Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 9:13 pm

LA wrote:
I was shocked as hell when I read this, honestly no clue why it drew that well....Manny's the shit but 1.3?

I thought the same exact thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys   Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 12:35 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
wtf^

ESPN troll.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys   Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 9:37 pm

Ali wrote:
killerofchicken wrote:
wtf^

ESPN troll.

Figures.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys   Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys Empty

Back to top Go down

Manny Pacquiao vs Shane Mosley generates 1.3 million PPV buys
Page 1 of 1