Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ricco signs with Bellator

Go down 
+2
OU
GDPofDRC
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Ricco signs with Bellator Empty
PostSubject: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 6:45 pm

http://mmaweekly.com/former-ufc-champion-ricco-rodriguez-signs-with-bellator-fighting-championships

While he’s currently preparing for his bout against James McSweeney in BAMMA next week, former UFC heavyweight champion Ricco Rodriguez has now signed a new deal to become a part of Bellator Fighting Championships.

Rodriguez broke the news during a recorded interview for MMAWeekly Radio on Friday.

Ricco signs with Bellator Ricco-Rodriguez-WFA-4-450x260

“To be honest with you, I signed the Bellator contract and just waiting to get permission from MTV. Everyone wants me to do something, but they’re just concerned with my past, if I’m going to be hard to work with. It’s a great opportunity for Bellator, I would love to fight in that competition, it’s going to be great exposure, I just think Bellator’s going to blow up on the scene,” Rodriguez said.

Currently training in England with the Wolfslair, Rodriguez has been there for just over a month working with the team and is in the closing stages for his fight against McSweeney next week in BAMMA.

After that fight is complete, Rodriguez plans to talk to Bellator to discuss his role with the promotion. At this time, Rodriguez has not been offered a slot in the upcoming light heavyweight tournament, but the promotion hasn’t filled all the available openings so he could end up in the field of 8.

“Right now I’m just focused on BAMMA, the opportunity, I put it out there I signed the contract with Bjorn (Rebney) and Bellator, and I’m just waiting for them,” Rodriguez stated.

Since dropping down to light heavyweight, Rodriguez has fueled a career rejuvenation and he hopes to continue that with the McSweeney fight and then in Bellator. If everything goes his way, Rodriguez hopes to walk away from the sport as a champion.

“This is it,” stated Rodriguez. “This is my opportunity to go out there and end my career as a champion, and I would love the opportunity to fight in that 205lb tournament.”

First things first however is the 215lb catchweight fight against James McSweeney in BAMMA next week. More information on Rodriguez’s Bellator debut should come in the following weeks.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Not a bad move for Ricco, gets him fights on TV.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 7:02 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Not a bad move for Ricco, gets him fights on TV.

Yeah I agree, would be great if he could get in that LHW tourney. Keep him busy.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 11:05 pm

If they could nab Vera that tourney will have instant name recognition. Not bad considering they have never(?) even held a 205 mathcup.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 11:17 pm

Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 4:41 am

hahahah that was funny o read

Yay hes signed awesome

Bellator says they havent signed him

hahahahaa
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySat Feb 19, 2011 8:57 am

Damn how bad does that suck when u say you are signed and the company says no u arent? LOL.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 12:15 am

Ricco seems to make alot of comments along these lines.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 12:26 am

I don't see why nobody is picking him up though
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 12:35 am

well what has he done of late to earn a call up? Where are his interesting wins?

And perhaps he is holding out for $$$ that orgs feel is unreasonable.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 12:43 am

Well he doesn't have any notable wins, but is a talent fighter with history. Maybe the UFC would be tough with a ridiculously deep LHW division, but I see no reason why SF or Bellator wouldn't sign him, even if to use him as a stepping stone.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 12:46 am

I really think the stint on Celeb Rehab ruined his career no one wants to be the ones to sign him
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 12:49 am

LA wrote:
Well he doesn't have any notable wins, but is a talent fighter with history. Maybe the UFC would be tough with a ridiculously deep LHW division, but I see no reason why SF or Bellator wouldn't sign him, even if to use him as a stepping stone.

Could he follow the Belfort route? Beat one recognizable opponent in impressive fashion, then enter a major org one fight away from a title shot?
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:02 am

Maybe in SF, like he beats whoever, signs with SF, gets you know Mousasi or Mo or some shit, which I doubt he would, it's possible, a new challenger would be good. But Vitor was looking so reborn, moving to MW helped, and lack of challengers for Anderson, or actually lack of ones he hadn't beaten.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:16 am

if Ricco came in and beat Gegard or Mo, then he would have earned a title shot.

But he still needs to beat a solid name b4 he gets a shot at either of those guys.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:17 am

I said that, but said I doubt he'd get those fights in the first place.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:21 am

rubber match with Monson. Winner of that earns a mo or Gegard imo.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:26 am

Maybe, Monson is still fighting at HW, Ricco has dropped, still not sure Coker gives Ricco one of the two of his best young fighters. If he did though, and Ricco won, again yes Title shot, just can't picture him getting one of those guys.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:27 am

Babalu seems about right if he came into SF.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:32 am

WOW, just checking through Monson's and ricco's recent opponents and both guys have recent wins over Travis Fulton, who sherdog has listed as having 245 wins.

245 fucking wins. thats crazy.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:49 am

You don't know Fulton? MMA record for wins and fights I think.

Monson should be in a big Org too, if not for his lifestyle.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:53 am

LA wrote:
You don't know Fulton? MMA record for wins and fights I think.

Monson should be in a big Org too, if not for his lifestyle.

I know I've made note of Fulton b4, but 245 is shocking. Even if I have seen it b4.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 1:58 am

Yeah that record is probably untouchable, he's a classic MMA trivia question.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 2:01 am

LA wrote:
Yeah that record is probably untouchable, he's a classic MMA trivia question.

the underground(and I expect predominantly midwest) circuit produces some very interestingly obscure careers.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 2:07 am

Yup, think he made it to the WEC, might be wrong, but he's a good smaller show early career fight for guys. Check his resume

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Travis-Fulton-80
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ricco signs with Bellator   Ricco signs with Bellator Empty

Back to top Go down

Ricco signs with Bellator
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next