Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights

Go down 
+10
Wolfgangsta
LA
Birdofthad
GDPofDRC
corydd7
NoRegret
MMAEYES
OU
timthebim
Primetyme199
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Primetyme199
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
Primetyme199

Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  Empty
PostSubject: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:32 pm

According to UFC President Dana White at yesterday's UFC 129 press conference:

"We've talked about it before. There have been fights that we were watching that have been three-round fights like 'Damn, this should have been a five-round fight. It's the main event and it should have been five.' Yes, we can do it. we can make a main event a five-round fight and we're probably going to start doing that."

Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:34 pm

Thats a great idea. I hope they implement it as soon as possible. BJ vs Fitch 5 rounder would be great.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:37 pm

Yeah he talked about it in one of those videos I posted early, I'll have to find which one.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:40 pm

OU wrote:
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:41 pm

This is a must imo!
Back to top Go down
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 1:29 pm

cheers
Back to top Go down
corydd7
Green Belt
Green Belt
corydd7

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the name Silva, Chris Leben, Nick Diaz, Don Frye

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Time to play devil's advocate. I love the idea hope it goes through but will they expand the time of PPV so we dont see less fights? I agree BJ Fitch five rounds would be great in that Fitch will wear him down and get to finish a fight finally Wink but if I miss a great undercard match to watch Fitch hump BJ'S left leg for the first 20 minutes I dont see it as a good thing. As long as they expand the time of the PPV im 100% down though.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 3:50 pm

They'd better just be extending the time on ppv
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 3:58 pm

corydd7 wrote:
Time to play devil's advocate. I love the idea hope it goes through but will they expand the time of PPV so we dont see less fights? I agree BJ Fitch five rounds would be great in that Fitch will wear him down and get to finish a fight finally Wink but if I miss a great undercard match to watch Fitch hump BJ'S left leg for the first 20 minutes I dont see it as a good thing. As long as they expand the time of the PPV im 100% down though.

A concern of mine as well. Main events are not always good fights.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 4:05 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
corydd7 wrote:

A concern of mine as well. Main events are not always good fights.

Most of the time on paper they are though.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 4:18 pm

about fucking time
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 6:16 pm

Often UFC PPVs end with time left and they endup showing undercard fights, I doubt adding 5 rd main events will cut into the PPV real time at all or have need for expanded time slots. With talk that undercard fights will possibly soon, but def eventually all be available, they'll be less need to fill in the left over time with replayed fights. It is possible you could get scenerios where you're just prolonging boring fights, or dominant LnP performances, but at the same time we should see close fights through 3 rds get decided more clearly, what if Hendo vs Franklin was 5 rds? ect. I also think this could lead to more finishes.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Title fights are a different length for a reason. This is fucking stupid and just a way to hawk non-title less relevant fights as on the same level as title fights. Championship Rounds should mean something. Terrible.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:31 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Title fights are a different length for a reason. This is fucking stupid and just a way to hawk non-title less relevant fights as on the same level as title fights. Championship Rounds should mean something. Terrible.

I dont think it takes away from the title fights it just makes average cards better.
Back to top Go down
Jamal
Green Belt
Green Belt
Jamal

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 2:38 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:

I'm gonna have to agree with Wolf on this one. Only title fights should be 5 rounds. With 7 titles now there should be a title fight on every PPV anyway.
Back to top Go down
Hel13torm
Hel13torm

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 2:42 am

I don't want every main event to be 5-rounds, but I would love it when it's a big grudge match or epicly hyped fight or something.
5 rounds of Wanderlei/Liddell woulda been amazing.....
5 rounds of Rashad/Rampage, not so much Sleep
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 8:54 am

corydd7 wrote:

there is also the concern that fighters approach a 5 rnd fight differently, thinking more about conserving energy through the early rnds. Thus we cannot say "franklin Wandy needed a couple more rnds to determine the winner" cause the fight may have been completely different if these came with in with a 5 rnd mindset.

Though I too am playing devils advocate here. Im cool with the idea.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 10:55 am

I am against the 5 rounder for main event with no championship involved. Sure from time to time that might seem like that wuld have been a good one, but Ilike the idea of Championship matches are the only 5 rounders, particularly now that we have added two more belts.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 10:58 am

Hel13torm wrote:
I don't want every main event to be 5-rounds, but I would love it when it's a big grudge match or epicly hyped fight or something.
5 rounds of Wanderlei/Liddell woulda been amazing.....
5 rounds of Rashad/Rampage, not so much Sleep

See I thought at the end of the third the fight was really getting going and it was over.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 11:10 am

I like the idea of 5 round main events but not every fight. I'm not even sure all main events should have them. All #1 contender fights should be 5 rounds though IMO.
Back to top Go down
Jamal
Green Belt
Green Belt
Jamal

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 11:36 am

OU wrote:
I like the idea of 5 round main events but not every fight. I'm not even sure all main events should have them. All #1 contender fights should be 5 rounds though IMO.

You mean like Okami vs Marquardt which Okami won and still wont be getting a title shot?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights    Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights  Empty

Back to top Go down

Five by Five: The UFC is 'probably' going to implement five-round main event non-title fights
Page 1 of 1