Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets Empty
PostSubject: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:02 pm

Sorry fellas, there are exceptions, but if nothing else, a "title" fight will usually translate to bigger marketing dollars. And like it or not, a ranking system, that has contenders and a champion, even if it's alphabet soup, is the best we have.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:07 pm

An extraordinarily short term view. With 88 strapholders it is IMPOSSIBLE for the casual fan to know who champions are or to guage what are big fights. Straps also impart no useful information to the geeks like us.

I don't think over time straps do translate to bigger marketing dollars. I think they lead to confusion and ultimately disillusion with the sport. That leads to smaller audiences.

I don't think it's an accident that the rise of the straps and the most recent decline of the sport began in the 1990's.

There is no reason to settle for this. No reason to believed the winner of Manny-Margarito is in any way a champion.

We also don't have "A" ranking system. Each corrupt organization has its own. So for example right now we don't have "A" welterweight champion, we actually have FIVE

And we don't have ten ranked contenders, instead here are the fighters ranked by one or more strap organizations as welterweights

Floyd, Aydin, Ion, Mike Jones, Gomez, Lujan, Karass, Demyanenko, Hernandez, Solomon, Ouali, Alavarez, Bundu, Hatton, Decarie, Plotkinov, Bailey, kackiwicz, Theophane, Saldivia, Brook, Clottey, Diegoi Chaves, Ushona, Jennings, Bienias.

That's TWENTY SIX top ten ranked welters. It's beyond silly.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Keep in mind Marble, that i'm in no way in favor of the ridiculous number of titles, but if the alphabet soup titles have a positive side, it might be that more Pugs have a chance to get some recognition, become a "champion" and make some decent paydays.

P.S. The "Ring" Mag. title has more credibilty than some of the other straps, but in my view, not a hell of a lot, Ring can be way the fuck off in their rankings at times, just like the other ranking orgs. FWIW, as a rule, a recognized champion emerges in each division, usually based on what they did in the ring, Wlady would be an example of this @ Heavyweight.

BTW, the multitude of pro boxing orgs ain't likely to give up their "golden gooses", so why fucking worry about it, it's not going to change.

Last edited by Ring on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
flapanther2001
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
flapanther2001

Favorite Fighter(s) : Aaron Pryor, Rocky Marciano, Arturo Gatti

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:39 pm

To compound the problem. the Alphabet Org's will even create a new belt to suit themselves in order to collect more sanctioning fees. Yikes!!!
Back to top Go down
shakefree
White Belt
White Belt
shakefree

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:44 pm

ring you're entitled to & i respect your opinion.though i don't think they're worthless,i do believe that they have weakened the sport,definitely not improved it.when titles aren't decided on merit,not only does it lessen & cheapen the word champion,it confuses the none diehard fans.once upon a time the word champion had the same impact as the word king.now being a champion,is more like being a princess Evil or Very Mad when you need more than the digits to count the champions,the lunatics are running the asylum Suspect
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:44 pm

Ring wrote:
Keep in mind Marble, that i'm in no way in favor of the ridiculous number of titles, but if the alphabet soup titles have a positive side, it might be that more Pugs have a chance to get some recognition, become a "champion" and make some decent paydays.

P.S. The "Ring" Mag. title has more credibilty than some of the other straps, but in my view, not a hell of a lot, Ring can be way the fuck off in their rankings at times, just like the other ranking orgs. FWIW, as a rule, a recognized champion emerges in each division, usually based on what they did in the ring, Wlady would be an example of this @ Heavyweight.

BTW, the multitude of pro boxing orgs ain't likely to give up their "golden gooses", so why fucking worry about it, it's not going to change.

The one way to make sure things don't get better is not to worry about it. The Ring title is MILES and MILES above second choice at the moment, for two reasons. 1. Scarcity. While the other organizations average 22 straps each, Ring recognizes at the moment what? Six champs? Wlad, Pascal, Sergio, JMM and Wonjonkam? That's five. Oh yeah Sigura at 108. That's six. THAT's the kind of exclusivity that gives titles meaning. 2. They don't collect sanctioning fees.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:45 pm

shakefree wrote:
ring you're entitled to & i respect your opinion.though i don't think they're worthless,i do believe that they have weakened the sport,definitely not improved it.when titles aren't decided on merit,not only does it lessen & cheapen the word champion,it confuses the none diehard fans.once upon a time the word champion had the same impact as the word king.now being a champion,is more like being a princess Evil or Very Mad when you need more than the digits to count the champions,the lunatics are running the asylum Suspect

OUCH! cheers
Back to top Go down
shakefree
White Belt
White Belt
shakefree

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:45 pm

damn non not none,sorry guys cheers
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 10:47 pm

flapanther2001 wrote:
To compound the problem. the Alphabet Org's will even create a new belt to suit themselves in order to collect more sanctioning fees. Yikes!!!

I am beginning to think they are only constrained by the Periodic Table. I am breathlessly awaiting the Niobium junior welter belt and the Silicon belt for the ladies.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 11:00 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ring wrote:

The one way to make sure things don't get better is not to worry about it. The Ring title is MILES and MILES above second choice at the moment, for two reasons. 1. Scarcity. While the other organizations average 22 straps each, Ring recognizes at the moment what? Six champs? Wlad, Pascal, Sergio, JMM and Wonjonkam? That's five. Oh yeah Sigura at 108. That's six. THAT's the kind of exclusivity that gives titles meaning. 2. They don't collect sanctioning fees.

Generally speaking, I try not to worry about things, that chances are, nothing can done to them change for the better, it's like banging your head against a wall, all you'll get is a headache.. I mean realistically, WTF can be done to change things? Got any ideas?
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 pm

i totally disagree that the straps arent worthless and that they being any good. having a trinket can get you some recognition but sometimes certain people dont even deserve recognition. like chavez jr who got a strap for doing absolutely nothing which isnt at all improving the sport in any way. also, making bigger money fights is the opposite of what we want to do. we have seen way to much of it recently when 2 contenders want way more than they deserve just like when bradley and alexander said that 2.5 million wasnt enough. that is just ridiculous. they should just be normal contenders with no straps and earn that kind of money. and lastly, we cant always tell who the MAN is in every weight class. the welterweights for example had pac and mayweather and there was always the debate on who the real champion was because both had straps. that definitely isnt good for boxing because then fighters can avoid each other thinking that they are the true champion.

overall, these straps literally bring nothing good to boxing.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 12:38 am

BTW, as bad as the numerous alphabet straps are, I still like to see even the top stars fighting for some kind of title.

night all..
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 1:49 am

Ring wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ring wrote:

Generally speaking, I try not to worry about things, that chances are, nothing can done to them change for the better, it's like banging your head against a wall, all you'll get is a headache.. I mean realistically, WTF can be done to change things? Got any ideas?

A massive letter writing campaign geared at HBO/Showitme and ESPN? Taking ESPN back over and simply pounding away on this issue day after day. Trying to get a spot at Eastside and Boxingscen and doing the same there.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 1:50 am

Ring wrote:
BTW, as bad as the numerous alphabet straps are, I still like to see even the top stars fighting for some kind of title.

night all..

Theya re. The championship of each other.
Back to top Go down
Ring
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 9:44 am

"A massive letter writing campaign geared at HBO/Showitme and ESPN? Taking ESPN back over and simply pounding away on this issue day after day. Trying to get a spot at Eastside and Boxingscene and doing the same there."

Except for taking ESPN back over, good suggestions, I want no part of that troll/faggot infested sewer. Perhaps what we really need to get rid of the alphabet orgs, is a singular National/International boxing commission?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets   I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets Empty

Back to top Go down

I disagree that the championship straps/titles are worthless trinkets
Page 1 of 1