Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Interesting article on the current state of boxing

Go down 
+2
gomez1012
WinstonSmith
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:00 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Everything else is an excuse. The problem is most fighters are not seeking glory with sufficient intensity.
Thats why right now and in recent boxing history guys like Pac, Wlad, Vitali, Oscar, Shane, and a few others should be put on a pedestal.

Yeah, though guys fighting twice a year? The pedestal ought not be excessive.
Right now I will take them fighting twice a year against the best vs 5 times a year agains 5 bums. Right now thats what we are getting from other guys. Those guys go after the best fight possible. Manny taking on Margo (eventhough he is a cheater) is a huge risk and is one of the best fights that can be made for Pac. There are a few others he could have fought but none of them present that big of a challenge.

You're assuming a bs false choice. There is NO reason for either. 2-3 times a year in big fights and twice a year in tune-ups is hardly excessive and would make them better fighters.

I refuse to accept a lowering of standards so we can call someone special.
For you its lowering a standard for me its raising since I have grown up in this era. Thats kinda sad huh?

Hadn't thought of it quite that way. YUCK!!!!!!!

Now go read some boxing history you frakkin youngun! Smile
I think I might do that I have a little extra time right now. My class is building forts and learning fort construction. I am doing nothing today. LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:01 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Same answer. For it's own sake. My own view is that one thing that separates the greats from the goods in almost all sports is loving the sport and a deep desire to be the very best. I mean money sure didn't stop Michael Jordan or Tom Brady or Ray Leonard from doing the things they had to do to prove they were the best over and over and over again.

When the chips are down and one is battling for their boxing, and perhaps actual, life, I don't think anyone is thinking "$8 million." My guess is they're thinking "I want that championship!"

Thats my point, these fighters that have grown up on HBO have no desire because the talent they do have is being wasted away on nobodies that get ridiculously over paid for

but I agree that the greats will want to be great no matter what the price

And maybe that is just something one is born with. Maybe it isn't something that can be taught or learned. I dunno.
I think you are right. I just love the attitude of guys like Pac and JMM. Both of them will fight anyone you put in front of them.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:02 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Everything else is an excuse. The problem is most fighters are not seeking glory with sufficient intensity.
Thats why right now and in recent boxing history guys like Pac, Wlad, Vitali, Oscar, Shane, and a few others should be put on a pedestal.

Right now I will take them fighting twice a year against the best vs 5 times a year agains 5 bums. Right now thats what we are getting from other guys. Those guys go after the best fight possible. Manny taking on Margo (eventhough he is a cheater) is a huge risk and is one of the best fights that can be made for Pac. There are a few others he could have fought but none of them present that big of a challenge.

You're assuming a bs false choice. There is NO reason for either. 2-3 times a year in big fights and twice a year in tune-ups is hardly excessive and would make them better fighters.

For you its lowering a standard for me its raising since I have grown up in this era. Thats kinda sad huh?

I think I might do that I have a little extra time right now. My class is building forts and learning fort construction. I am doing nothing today. LOL

Are they defending against crazed Gauls or Plains Indians or Alexander?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:04 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Same answer. For it's own sake. My own view is that one thing that separates the greats from the goods in almost all sports is loving the sport and a deep desire to be the very best. I mean money sure didn't stop Michael Jordan or Tom Brady or Ray Leonard from doing the things they had to do to prove they were the best over and over and over again.

When the chips are down and one is battling for their boxing, and perhaps actual, life, I don't think anyone is thinking "$8 million." My guess is they're thinking "I want that championship!"

Thats my point, these fighters that have grown up on HBO have no desire because the talent they do have is being wasted away on nobodies that get ridiculously over paid for

And maybe that is just something one is born with. Maybe it isn't something that can be taught or learned. I dunno.
I think you are right. I just love the attitude of guys like Pac and JMM. Both of them will fight anyone you put in front of them.

Yuperooni. The Ukranians belong in that group as do (I suspect) the new Cubans. Theys eem to have the necessary arrogance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:11 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

The north's cannons. AKA a potato gun. Its fun to destroy these things.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:13 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
gomez1012 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Yuperooni. The Ukranians belong in that group as do (I suspect) the new Cubans. Theys eem to have the necessary arrogance.
I agree I think the Cubans are just like the mexicans who just love to fight and want to fight the best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:15 pm

Oh really, then why is Gamboa reluctant to face Caballero, and why is Solis reluctant to eat a salad ?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:16 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

UH-oh. Northern Artillery in the War of Northern Aggression was no joke. My advice is to evacuate, get on horseback and find the great-great-great-great grandson of Nathan Bedford Forrest! Save your confederate money boys!
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
Oh really, then why is Gamboa reluctant to face Caballero, and why is Solis reluctant to eat a salad ?

Gamboa's agreed to fight JML, I don't think we yet have a complaint there. I mean it's not like he's fighting Audley Harrison's equivalent. If after that fight he doesn't battle Caballero? I agree. Solis is the Cuban outlier at this point. He's Arreola as near as I can figure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:21 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

UH-oh. Northern Artillery in the War of Northern Aggression was no joke. My advice is to evacuate, get on horseback and find the great-great-great-great grandson of Nathan Bedford Forrest! Save your confederate money boys!
This is Oklahoma History we have Stand Watie. He was the last General to surrender. Very hard to top Watie. He is the Henry Armstrong of the Civil War. Mixed blood indian who did amazing things.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:21 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

Gamboa's agreed to fight JML, I don't think we yet have a complaint there. I mean it's not like he's fighting Audley Harrison's equivalent. If after that fight he doesn't battle Caballero? I agree. Solis is the Cuban outlier at this point. He's Arreola as near as I can figure.
I think JML is a much tougher fight for Gamboa anyways.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:24 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

This is Oklahoma History we have Stand Watie. He was the last General to surrender. Very hard to top Watie. He is the Henry Armstrong of the Civil War. Mixed blood indian who did amazing things.

See I leanred something today. I only know a tiny bit about Watie and that relates to his role when the Chrerokee's had there big disagreement over The Trail of Tears.
Got a book for me or should I go search myself?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:32 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

See I leanred something today. I only know a tiny bit about Watie and that relates to his role when the Chrerokee's had there big disagreement over The Trail of Tears.
Rifles for Watie is the most popular book but its more of a kids book.

I tell you what let me check and see what I can find for you. We have a teacher here who use to be a professor he will know.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:36 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Rifles for Watie is the most popular book but its more of a kids book.

I tell you what let me check and see what I can find for you. We have a teacher here who use to be a professor he will know.

Many thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:37 pm

Have you guys ever heard of trimming down comments ?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:38 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:

I thought I was being polite. What is the accepted standard so that others can follow a conversation?
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 3:44 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:
As the Heavyweight division goes,so goes boxing.

I don't buy that quote, if we had all the best fighting the best right now the sport would be fine.

Americans don't give a rip about the Klitschkos.I do remember in the 80's when non HW fighters were carrying the sport,so you may have a valid point there.

Boxing is losing this generation to MMA.At least in MMA you have guys who will fight anybody at the drop of a dime and for far less money than boxers earn.
Nah I disagree with this, well the MMA part at least. Boxing has better match ups then MMA by far. MMA guys still dont always fight the best. Silva is still fighting bums and so is GSP. BJ Penn is shot. Rua is defending against the wrong guy. GSP refused to Silva, which was a dream fight at one point. The last anticipated UFC match was Lesnar vs Carwin (Penn vs Edgar also) BTW I look foward in watching Lesnar vs Valasquez (UFC HW are amazing fights IMO).

Those MMA mismatches are more excieting because of the way they end their opponent by tap out or some one punch KO. In boxing when you have two of the top guys going at it, the fight is at a different level. I think boxing is still a few step higher then MMA at this point.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 3:50 pm

I just think the probelm with boxing is fighter want to be paid a ton to fight another top fighter. I mean everyone wants to makemoney like DLH, the probelm is no one can draw like DLH.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 11:40 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

I thought I was being polite. What is the accepted standard so that others can follow a conversation?

I mean trimming down on the quotes, I've got no problem with you two having a conversation Smile
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 11:44 am

Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

I mean trimming down on the quotes, I've got no problem with you two having a conversation Smile

You are one grumpy little bastard. Get off the computer and get some pussy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 11:47 am

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

wo nelly, I am not grumpy it was just a suggestion.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 11:54 am

Ali_1748 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

The tone in which you typed was grumpy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 11:55 am

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:

The tone in which you typed was grumpy.

Tone isn't easy to address when you're on the internet, if you saw the expression on my face during the process I had a cheeky smile.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 11:56 am

[[/quote]Tone isn't easy to address when you're on the internet, if you saw the expression on my face during the process I had a cheeky smile.[/quote]

OK all is forgiven.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 11:57 am

hardcoreBEE24 wrote:
[
Tone isn't easy to address when you're on the internet, if you saw the expression on my face during the process I had a cheeky smile.[/quote]

OK all is forgiven.[/quote]

Now go get your shine box !!!

Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting article on the current state of boxing   Interesting article on the current state of boxing - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Interesting article on the current state of boxing
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next