Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

UFC releases Efrain.

Go down 
+9
jimbojones1950
chorky777
Andrew the Raider King
acccardinal12
Wolfgangsta
KingsOwn19
bobbitt15
Birdofthad
captain organic
13 posters
AuthorMessage
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

UFC releases Efrain. Empty
PostSubject: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:33 pm

as per his twitter.

In talks with Bellator and SF.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:35 pm

Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:48 pm

sucks to be you man

he honestly was pathetic in that fight though
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 10:05 pm

Good. He belongs in one of those smaller orgs for a while
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 10:13 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
sucks to be you man

he honestly was pathetic in that fight though

Pathetic? I must have missed something.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:08 am

Hasty. Bad cut by the UFC IMO.

Cole Miller and Dan Lauzon are good wins in between losses to two undefeated fighters who seem to have next level talent. Not to mention Efrain is a prospect himself who has room for improvement.

I don't get it. I'm suprised they cut a TuF winner after 3-2 and no consecutive losses when somebody not nearly as talented in Amir Suddolah has not defeated near the competition Efrain has in his own weight class and has looked absolutely impotent against the better guys he fought still has a job. It leads me to believe Efrain probably had an attitude problem.

Fair game for SF or Bellator. It's UFC's loss here because they are just going to want to re-sign him in less than a year anyway.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:18 am

The cutting of this fighter even if he wasn't a TUF winner would be somewhat eyebrow raising but in light that fact, it's obvious there was something going on with him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:37 am

from where I was siting Escudero got made to look like an amateur and needed a lowblow to stall the inevitable
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:41 am

I agree with Wolf. Something is going on with him? The guy has talent like crazy! I hope he goes to Bellator!!!!
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:43 am

Birdofthad wrote:
from where I was siting Escudero got made to look like an amateur and needed a lowblow to stall the inevitable

Well then you must've been sitting behind Yao Ming.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:45 am

you really think Escudero looked good i that fight?
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:47 am

No, i don't.

But he did not look "amateur" or "pathetic" and it was definetly not cutworthy. He just looked like he was not as good as the person he was fighting.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 am

in person it looked pretty damn bad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 4:21 am

They same awful eager to cut people these days, perhaps financial problems.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 6:21 am

Yeah, I am sure that the UFC is scared that their accountant is going to walk in any moment and say they are broke. Escudero didn't look good in his last fight. He looked good in the first round in his loss to Dunham, but 2 consecutive losses shouldn't have gotten him fired, so I too think there is something amiss to the general public.
Back to top Go down
chorky777
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Weidman, McGregor, Pettis, Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 6:53 am

Maybe this is a message to people that they better be professionals and start making weight. Being three or four pounds overweight is unacceptable. I mean, Dana was PISSED at Thiago Alves for missing weight by half a pound, imagine how he's gonna feel when it's a lesser commodity missing that badly.
Back to top Go down
jimbojones1950
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 9:22 am

I think it had to do with a few things:

1) While he has wins over Miller and Lauzon, his losses to Dunham and Oliveira indicate that he has a long way before being in the top 5 of the division, which is what the UFC was looking for him to be.

2) With Cain Velasquez, the UFC has a better name to emerge with in Mexico and coupled with his losses to Dunham and Oliveira, Efrain does not seem to be as big a factor in UFC's desire to move to Mexico as they once thought. Cain is their man in terms of going to Mexico. This is why the UFC is bringing in more Asian fighters...they want to expand their market. Additionally, that is why they are keeping Amir around. He bridges into another culture as well.

3) Missing weight by that much is unacceptable. Efrain has been making weight his whole life and should know better. It is just inexcusable. You take that lack of professionalism, combined with the two factors above, and suddenly to the UFC, he doesn't seem worth it.

Personally, I think he is a very good fighter who is a mid level UFC lightweight. However, I think that the UFC had specific plans for Efrain, which he is not living up to, and for that, they probably figured they have enough mid level guys and if someone they wanted to profer as a star can't make it at this point in his career, then let him go. Hopefully, he will be back, more matured and more seasoned.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 11:50 am

Not a good drop really. The UFC wants to be a jacked up sports entertainment organization, no shock.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:11 pm

why because he lost to a bad ass up an comer that deserves more credit than his last two fights. Thats a tough call there.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Wasn't Efrain who Dana referred to as the next LW version of GSP during his season on TUF? How can you go from loving a guy so much to kicking him to the curb after 5 fights?
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 5:10 pm

He was unproffesional and lost 2 in a row. Look, the guy got to earn his entire contract, so he should be happy.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 6:08 pm

I think the unprofessional part is the key if it's true. We've seen Dana's darlings lose more often than they win and keep off the chopping block. My God, I was starting to wonder if Keith Jardine had a lifetime exemption... And I'm positive Bonnar has one...
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 8:28 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
He was unproffesional and lost 2 in a row. Look, the guy got to earn his entire contract, so he should be happy.

He did NOT lose 2 in a row. He beat Lauzon after he lost to Dunham. Also, the unprofessionl thing is only us trying to make sense of Efrain getting cut after 3-2 after winning their precious reality show and never losing consecutive fights. Other than missing weight we have no other reason to believe Efrain is unprofessional.

Perhaps he was up for renewal and instead of going through a negotiation period Efrain would not agree on a certain sum so they cut him? I mean, his TuF contract was for 4 fights if i'm not mistaken and he was making a lot more money from winning the show than he was probably going to get on an extention so maybe he thought he can get more somewhere else, which he probably can so they just released him so he can go do that. I'm actually pretty sure that is what it is because Efrain did not seem to treat it like some big deal that he got released. Maybe it was coming because they werent coming to terms on money and losing his last contract fight would pretty much mean he is holding no cards at all and the sum goes down.
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 9:43 pm

I liked it when Oliveira was taunting him. Efrain's offense involved stalling against the cage. He was out of his league in every facet of this fight. I actually liked it when Rogan noted that Oliveira gave up the takedown to get the fight to the ground. I wonder if judges would see it the same way. He's better off fighting in lower orgs and building a name and skill, but there's no shame in losing to probably the two best young LWs in Dunham and Oliviera. But the UFC already has a Clay Guida.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UFC releases Efrain.   UFC releases Efrain. Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC releases Efrain.
Page 1 of 1