Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mirko is loyal!

Go down 
+2
captain organic
Andrew the Raider King
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 8:39 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=A0wNddM0D5JM8wwAps49Eo14?slug=mmajunkie-Healthy_body_Mirko_Cro_Cop_UFC_119

Healthy body, healthier offer led Mirko “Cro Cop’s” to UFC 119 main event

Years in politics haven't blunted Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic's honesty.

The former PRIDE champion and Croatian parliament member plainly admits the timing is not great for his fight with former champion Frank Mir (13-5 MMA, 11-5 UFC), which headlines UFC 119 next Saturday.

But despite concerns he hasn't gotten enough time to prepare, Filipovic (27-7-2 MMA, 4-3 UFC), feels he owes it to the UFC to suck it up and perform. And he also admits he's well-compensated for his risk.

Filipovic said he was in the middle of a vacation five weeks ago when UFC executive Lorenzo Fertitta called and asked him to fill in for an injured Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira on the Sept. 25 card, which takes place at Indianapolis' Conseco Fieldhouse.

Ordinarily, Filipovic would have turned down the fight. There wasn't much time to prepare for a competitor of Mir's caliber, and he could put his position in the heavyweight division at risk. Plus, he'd be risking injury, which, at 36 years old, could end his career.

"I always tell people … it could be any fight," Filipovic said. "I tell them it could be the last one. This is a hard sport, (and) this is a brutal sport, and any new injury - especially because I turned 36 a few days ago - would definitely take me out of competition. In my age, with my experience (and) so many fights on my back, it would be hard to start over again (with) some rehabilitation."

But he also felt a tug of responsibility to deliver for Fertitta and UFC fans.

"I secure my family in the UFC," Filipovic told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I earned a lot of money in the UFC. I earned that money. That money wasn't given to me as a present; I earned every dollar of it, but they gave me an opportunity to earn it.

"Maybe it sounds pathetic, but I didn't want to disappoint UFC fans, and I didn't want to disappoint the UFC as well. That's the biggest reason."

There was another reason, as well, though Filipovic downplayed it.

"To be honest with you, they gave me an offer that I couldn't refuse, and that's it," he said. "It has nothing to do with Frank or somebody else. It could be anyone else. I will take the fight.

"I take the risk on my back. I'm a professional, and that's my job. The risk is all mine."

So Filipovic will meet Mir in a short-notice fight, a proposition he admitted isn't nearly as easy as it was in his days with the Japanese-based PRIDE organization, where short notice was commonplace.

He said he's in good spirits and even displayed some of the humor that further endeared him to UFC fans in his most recent fight against Pat Barry at UFC 115.

"It was good until today," Filipovic joked when asked about his current state of health. "I will get, together with Frank, brain cancer. Because some research shows that if you talk too long on the mobile phone, it can cause brain cancer. I would appreciate it if we do [the call] very fast because I think I will have to go to the hospital for some MRIs."

On a serious note, though, he's well aware that his health will hold the key to his fighting future.

"I will keep fighting as long as I feel good," he said. "But I will repeat: Any fight could be the last one. Maybe this fight with Frank could be the last one. Maybe I will do three more fights. I don't know."
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 9:38 am

I know he's an old dog and all, and yeah, props to Mirko for taking the fight, but 5 weeks notice? Seems ample.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 9:45 am

IDK? Most of these guys take a fight and plan an 8 to 10 week camp. But honestly? My favorite fighter, Kenflo, could take a fight on 1 weeks notice. They live the sport, which delivers money & pooni. Why not live the sport?
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 10:04 am

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
IDK? Most of these guys take a fight and plan an 8 to 10 week camp. But honestly? My favorite fighter, Kenflo, could take a fight on 1 weeks notice. They live the sport, which delivers money & pooni. Why not live the sport?

actually only a very small % of fighters get a 8-10 week camp.

I'd think that a month or less is the avg prep time for a pro MMA fight. Granted most fighters are not fighting guys on the level of Mir, but we still see, even at high levels of MMA, guys taking fights on much shorter notice then Cro Cop is here.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 10:09 am

I said they plan. Not that, that is what they wanted. Does anyone really think Leben wanted a fight with only 2 weeks notice? I think not, but it really didn't matter, because he had just peaked and all he had to do was do what he did everyday.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 10:54 am

I said they plan. Not that, that is what they wanted. Does anyone really think Leben wanted a fight with only 2 weeks notice? I think not, but it really didn't matter, because he had just peaked and all he had to do was do what he did everyday.

Only a very small % of professional fighters plan on an 8 week camp.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 11:00 am

Mirko fought in weeks notice tons of time in Pride. I'm sticking with my Mirko pick but he sounds like an old soldier being sent to the front lines preparing to face the young man's spear.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 12:48 pm

Better hope he doesn't face a wrestler
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 12:49 pm

Short notice or not, I'm becoming increasingly more and more confident in Mirko in this fight
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 1:14 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Short notice or not, I'm becoming increasingly more and more confident in Mirko in this fight

Same here, it would be interesting to see what happens to Mir if he loses this fight.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 1:17 pm

Nothing, Dana loves him so he'll retire in the UFC or be full time with the WEC/UFC ringside

Seriously though, just popped into my head and I'm calling it now, Mir loses and fights Roy next.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 1:18 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Nothing, Dana loves him so he'll retire in the UFC or be full time with the WEC/UFC ringside

Seriously though, just popped into my head and I'm calling it now, Mir loses and fights Roy next.

I'm saying that Mir drops to 205, he joked around about it saying that guys like Forrest make him feel like he is in the wrong WC.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 1:20 pm

Funny thing, he loses worse, instead of getting overpowered he'd get outclassed.
Back to top Go down

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 1:29 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:

No, he'll win and fight Velasquez after he loses to Brock.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 1:33 pm

Mir's gonna get picked apart, then bang, vintage headkick
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 1:35 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Then CC does his legendary happy dance
Mirko is loyal! Dancing_figure
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 1:36 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Then CC does his legendary happy dance
Mirko is loyal! Dancing_figure

I think you mean you'll be doing your legendary happy dance, I've heard stories, like when Brock beat Carwin..
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 1:44 pm

I cried for 12 days. I made that crying OU kid in that picture look like he won the lotto.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 3:09 pm

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:

No, he'll win and fight Velasquez after he loses to Brock.

tisk tisk
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 11:57 pm

I feel bad for Mir, he's not going to get any credit for beating Crocop, it will be another bunch of excuses from Pride fans.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 12:07 am

I feel bad for Mir too. He won't be a top 10 HW after next Saturday Sad
Back to top Go down

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 12:11 am

bobbitt15 wrote:
I feel bad for Mir too. He won't be a top 10 HW after next Saturday Sad

hahah we shall see, the search for your awesome new sig has begun Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mirko is loyal! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mirko is loyal!   Mirko is loyal! Empty

Back to top Go down

Mirko is loyal!
Page 1 of 1