Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?

Go down 
+7
dmar5143
kbyte
hardcoreBEE24
WinstonSmith
bobbitt15
Birdofthad
marbleheadmaui
11 posters
AuthorMessage

Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? Empty
PostSubject: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 11:14 pm

1. Kostya Tszyu
2. Jeff Fenech
3. Roy Jones Jr
4. Mike Tyson
5. Bernard Hopkins

Last edited by freakzilla316ftw on Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyMon Sep 13, 2010 11:42 pm

I'm gonna cheat and give two lists. The guys I saw as they happened and then guys I didn't.

1. Alexis Arguello-Incredibly skilled, a class act and yet an absolute KILLER in the ring.
2. Roberto Duran-Savage, amoral, gifted and remarkably skilled. Like a caveman with an Uzi.
3. Ricardo Lopez-I fell in love in the first 30 seconds I ever saw him. I said out loud to an empty room "THAT is how it is one." The most technically perfect fighter of my lifetime.
4. Matthew Saad Muhammad-The real life Rocky. His whole life was a million to one shot. Earned the nickname "Miracle Matthew" with his astonishing comebacks.
5. Marvin Hagler-Simply the quintessential warrior. The personification of what I want out of a fighter.

Old guys

1. Joe Gans-The first fighter I know of who did everything fighters do today. That was 110 years ago. Fought tough guys on back to back days.
2. Joe Louis-He is even better than everyone thinks. Excllent craft together with otherworldy power. A class act his whole life. He deserved better.
3. Rocky Marciano-Did a fighter ever do more with less?
4. Barney Ross-The most fascinating life in the history of the sport.
5. Billy Miske-He fought the single most heroic fight anyone ever fought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 12:00 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:

Never heard of him. What happened in the fight?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 12:04 am

here it goes

basically Miske had what is known as Brites disease, what they used to call failure of the liver, he fought on, fought Dempsey twice (1 draw 1 KO 4 when Dempsey was champ)

he was dieng and knew it got his manager to schedule 1 more fight so he could get his kids and wife good christmas presents, cant think who it was against but it was against a guy who just went the distance with Dempsey, Miske could barely move and was weak as it gets, he KOd the guy in the 4th by basically standing toe to toe, he gave his family 1 last good christmas, called his manager next day and said take me to the hospital Im dying

died 3 days later
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 12:06 am

his manager did the right thinkg and didnt take any cut of the purse cause he knew Miske's condition

Dempsey even said the Miske he fought in the rematch was a different weaker person than the one he had a draw with

he fought I want to say for 5 or 6 more years after being diagnosed, was so weak he was hidden from the press and had private weigh in so no one could see his condition
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 12:07 am

1. Joe Frazier
2. Pernell Whitaker
3. Ray Robinson
4. Henry Armstrong
5. Joe Louis (3-5 are virtually tied)

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 12:11 am

In no particular order.

Nigel Benn
Naseem Hamed
Joe Frazier
George Foreman
Marco Antonio Barrera
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 12:12 am

Birdofthad wrote:
here it goes

basically Miske had what is known as Brites disease, what they used to call failure of the liver, he fought on, fought Dempsey twice (1 draw 1 KO 4 when Dempsey was champ)

he was dieng and knew it got his manager to schedule 1 more fight so he could get his kids and wife good christmas presents, cant think who it was against but it was against a guy who just went the distance with Dempsey, Miske could barely move and was weak as it gets, he KOd the guy in the 4th by basically standing toe to toe, he gave his family 1 last good christmas, called his manager next day and said take me to the hospital Im dying

died 3 days later

Wow, what a man.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 12:12 am

If we're saying favorite its pretty much just guys I actually got to watch in my lifetime. I can marvel at the fights of older guys but I can't call them favorites because I didn't have a real emotional attachment to them given that the fights already happened

1) Manny Pacquiao
2) Diego Corrales
3) Lennox Lewis
4) James Toney
5) Kostya Tzsyu

Mosley was probably #1/2 on this list up until the substance issues and some fights later in his career

Last edited by bobbitt15 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 12:13 am

Ali_1748 wrote:
In no particular order.

Nigel Benn
Naseem Hamed
Joe Frazier
George Foreman
Marco Antonio Barrera

That guy wasn't nearly as gifted as Hagler, but in every other way he was another exemplary warrior.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 12:14 am

freakzilla316ftw wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:
here it goes

died 3 days later

Wow, what a man.

Here is a reasonable account. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1018093/index.htm
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 2:49 am

Hagler
Arguello
Marciano
Chuvalo
Ali/Holmes
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 2:55 am

Unfortunately Miske aggravated his condition by continuing to box.He should have been advised to stay away from any activity that would further damage his kidneys.A touching story nevertheless.
Back to top Go down
hardcoreBEE24
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Thomas Hearns

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 5:47 am

No order after Hearns and Peat:

Hearns
Whittaker
Tito
Jones Jr
Duran

Honorable Mention:

Cotto
Toney
McCallum
Hopkins
Pre 2005 Mayweather[b]
Back to top Go down
kbyte
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
kbyte

Favorite Fighter(s) : Oscar De la Hoya, Ricky Hatton

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 7:37 am

Oscar
Hatton
Duran
Tyson
Mayorga
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 8:02 am

of all time..wow tough question to anser since several favorites are left off the list.1. marciano2.pep3. robinson 4. greb5.louis and basilio tied for fifth cause i knew carmen personaly....fighting today its 1.manny pac2.segio martinez 3.kelly pavlik 4.cotto5..wlad..
Back to top Go down
Groundhog_Day
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Groundhog_Day

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny Pacquiao

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 8:13 am

Joe Calzaghe
Paulie Malignaggi
Derrick Gainer
Maxie Rosenbloom
Carlos Baldozar

Honorable mention: John Ruiz
bounce
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 8:27 am

Big George
Evander
Oscar
Pac
Sugar Shane
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 9:54 am

Tito Trinidad, Evander Holyfield, Aaron Pryor, Manny Pacquiao, Marvin Hagler
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:08 am

OK I am making a list of my favorite fighters I have seen in my lifetime. I think its weird to list guys you didnt really get to see while they were fighting. In no particular order.

1. Tommy Morrison
2. Manny Pac
3. Oscar De La Hoya
4. Riddick Bowe
5. Mickey Ward
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:09 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
I'm gonna cheat and give two lists. The guys I saw as they happened and then guys I didn't.

1. Alexis Arguello-Incredibly skilled, a class act and yet an absolute KILLER in the ring.
2. Roberto Duran-Savage, amoral, gifted and remarkably skilled. Like a caveman with an Uzi.
3. Ricardo Lopez-I fell in love in the first 30 seconds I ever saw him. I said out loud to an empty room "THAT is how it is one." The most technically perfect fighter of my lifetime.
4. Matthew Saad Muhammad-The real life Rocky. His whole life was a million to one shot. Earned the nickname "Miracle Matthew" with his astonishing comebacks.
5. Marvin Hagler-Simply the quintessential warrior. The personification of what I want out of a fighter.

Old guys

1. Joe Gans-The first fighter I know of who did everything fighters do today. That was 110 years ago. Fought tough guys on back to back days.
2. Joe Louis-He is even better than everyone thinks. Excllent craft together with otherworldy power. A class act his whole life. He deserved better.
NO WINKY?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 1:16 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Old guys

NO WINKY?

First thing in the morning I gotta read that???? Come on Man!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 1:47 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Old guys

NO WINKY?

First thing in the morning I gotta read that???? Come on Man!
LOL I think its just a Winky kind of day huh.
Back to top Go down
Tobe06
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
Tobe06

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ali

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Here goes:

1) Ali
2) Mickey Ward
3) Lennox Lewis
4) Ray Robinson
5) Shane Mosley
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?   Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever? Empty

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite 5 Boxers Ever?
Page 1 of 1