Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?

Go down 
+2
LTFG
4445Frank
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? Empty
PostSubject: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 11:30 am

Cutting Big Ben's punishment to only 4 games, not having consistency when it comes to punishing players, same unjust attitude towards yesterdays players that made this game what it is. Pete Rozelle was a brilliant visionary. Paul
T. just seemd to be good at being politically correct and staying out of the headlines. This Goodell guy doesn't know who he is and having a job like the "NFL Commissioner" is no place to accomplish that. If there is a strike of some kind between the union and the owners, Goodell should be helpless and it could seriously damage the NFL in ways we never imagined.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 11:32 am

I see the NFL right now as the model of all sports. It is the best ran of all the sports IMO. It would be hard for him to mess it up. Although I do think you are right that he is not as good as they have had.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 11:43 am

Goodell has been the best commissioner of any sport in recent memory. The strike won't be his doing and shouldn't reflect negatively on his tenure. It's true that the NFL could suffer if they strike. But two things... First, the vast majority of the blame should be shared between greedy billionaire owners and greedy multi-millionaire players. Second, this won't be like hockey or baseball. The fans will forgive in a short time and the NFL will always be king here...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 11:47 am

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Goodell has been the best commissioner of any sport in recent memory. The strike won't be his doing and shouldn't reflect negatively on his tenure. It's true that the NFL could suffer if they strike. But two things... First, the vast majority of the blame should be shared between greedy billionaire owners and greedy multi-millionaire players. Second, this won't be like hockey or baseball. The fans will forgive in a short time and the NFL will always be king here...
I would bet they go with replacements if there ever is a strike. The NFL does not mess around with crap like that.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 11:57 am

They tried that in 1987... Those were the most painful three weeks of "pro" football I've ever seen!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 12:02 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
They tried that in 1987... Those were the most painful three weeks of "pro" football I've ever seen!
I think they would do it again in a hearbeat too. It worked.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 12:06 pm

One man will do nothing to the NFL.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 12:10 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Based on what?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 12:12 pm

Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-03XwAUYE-0p0tEYqNbmjgd8WXezMLTLKLqdPCLSD2ZHYhNY&t=1&usg=__jDc8qDsLodiJCxKE8hv-I9Yzwso=
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 12:23 pm

4445Frank wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Based on what?

Based on his no bullshit approach and the fact that he's grown the sport to atmospheric levels. Shit, Rozelle and Tags never had this kind of growth under their watch and the inmates were beginning to run the asylum until Goodell stepped in. The players know if they step out of line (Even if it's rumored as in Bens case), they will be punished. Is he consistent?... I would say the only place he has showed a real lack of consistency is with Leonard Little. But compared to Selig, Bettman and Stern, Goodell is far and away the better commish. Stern and Bettman have strong grips on the players but aren't doing shit to grow their sports. Hockey and the NBA have been on the decline for years...

What do you have that suggests that Goodell isn't the best commish?
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 12:54 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
4445Frank wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Based on what?

Based on his no bullshit approach and the fact that he's grown the sport to atmospheric levels. Shit, Rozelle and Tags never had this kind of growth under their watch and the inmates were beginning to run the asylum until Goodell stepped in. The players know if they step out of line (Even if it's rumored as in Bens case), they will be punished. Is he consistent?... I would say the only place he has showed a real lack of consistency is with Leonard Little. But compared to Selig, Bettman and Stern, Goodell is far and away the better commish. Stern and Bettman have strong grips on the players but aren't doing shit to grow their sports. Hockey and the NBA have been on the decline for years...

What do you have that suggests that Goodell isn't the best commish?
Wish I could debate this all day but I just can't. This is what I have to offer from my side of the argument.

(a) How do you define growth? Rozelle had a key position in making the "Super Bowl" (and therefore the NFL) what it is today. Vince Lombardi thought the SB was a joke. It took a bunch of innovative ideas, selling time to sponsors, making sure people like Hank Stram and Joe Namath are noticed, etc.

(b)Goodell and consistency. All these fines to players do not impress me. Fines for criticizing a refs call? That's rubbish. Also, I noticed that in the SB between the Steelers and Cardinals (I'm a Steelers fan by the way) some guy named "Harrison" was caught assaulting another ball player. There was no punishment. Big Ben problems are rumors?? Wow. Ben has been accused of sexual assault a total of 3 times and he lowers the punishment? "Cheat Gate?”I think that's what they called this so called investigation into "The Pats" and their so called illegal preparation for Super Bowl teams. This was a joke to common sense. You would think Goodell would back down after a number of Hall of Fame coaches stated the practice was not unusual at all and they were guilty of it as well. (See comments made by John Madden.)

(c) Goodell was handed a gold mine in the NFL. I hardly think he's responsible for the success of this league and you have yet to tell me what he's added. That's my take. See ya.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 6:01 pm

So naming the championship game is key to your argument, really? I'll give Rozelle credit for TV deals, the NFL-AFL merger, expansion and inviting MNF which helped mainstream the sport in his 30 year tenure. But I'll also criticize him for allowing the owners and teams to gain ridiculous amounts of power which set the precedent of today where the players (Union) and owners have almost all the power. He turned the other cheek rather than addressing numerous drug scandals from steroids to cocaine abuse among players. Buddhist monks think he was soft on discipline! Hell, I think Tags was a better commish than Rozelle as he accomplished nearly as much in half the time. My overall comparison intent was between Goodell and the commissioners of the other major sports though, being more relevant to today's world.

As a Steeler fan you should know that Harrison was arrested for domestic abuse. The charges were dropped as they often are in domestic cases. BUT, in this case I agree that something should have been done since Harrison admitted to slapping her. Should a commish punish every guy that has the cops knock on his door, even if it never reaches a courtroom though? Goodell has done it right by laying down the hammer if it becomes repeated behavior as in the case with Ben who has been accused of the same thing twice (Not three that I know of). Regardless of outcome, Goodell did the right thing by letting Ben know that you can't be running around doing stupid shit. If he was tried and found guilty, I could understand laying down a much heavier penalty like a whole season. But under the circumstances, I think he handled it right and we all knew he was going to lower to 4 games the day he imposed the penalty.

And are you suggesting that The Pats shouldn't have been punished for cheating?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 6:49 pm

I was going to weigh in heavily on this but LTFG is holdin' it down here. Frank is just bitter, has a negative opinion of Goodell, and went looking for facts to back it up, like a Christian looking to prove Noah's Arc or the world being only a few thousand years old.

-3 frank
+4 LTFG

LTFG the bonus round is all yours.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 6:53 pm

The Pats didn't cheat any more than any other team. Those are the words of mostly every coach who commented on that issue. Also, Ben R. was accused 3 times of sexual assault (Once in college). My reference to Harrison was directed towards an attack he made on the "Football Field" in the "Super Bowl." I have little interest in the personal lives of players. We've agreed to disagree on this. I think you make valid points except when it gets to "Big Ben." Rape isn't "Stupid Shit." It's the most serious crime besides murder (My opinion) that someone can commit. Obviously,hush money has ruled over sanity in Ben's case. That will end in the case that Ben, who seems to be a sexual predator, screws up some other woman's life.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 6:54 pm

Wolf, if I'm bitter because I have a repulsion towards rape, thank God for bitterness.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 6:56 pm

Ben has been accused but not convicted. I didn't agree with the suspension dropping from 6 to 4 games at all, but I don't think that is reason enough to turn on Goodell. Ben was still suspended 4 games for committing under strict legal terms no crimes.

Where Goodell dropped the ball was his handling of Vince Young. He absolutely should have been suspended for at least 2 games.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Is that the primary reason you turned on Goodell? I didn't approve of the move either, and I feel like Goodell should make Ben take domestic violence, rape, and power and control classes when it comes to women, but knocking the suspension down a couple games doesn't give Ben a pass or anything.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Is that the primary reason you turned on Goodell? I didn't approve of the move either, and I feel like Goodell should make Ben take domestic violence, rape, and power and control classes when it comes to women, but knocking the suspension down a couple games doesn't give Ben a pass or anything.
The fucker belongs in jail and you know it. What the hell are we supposed to do? Wait for him to rape another woman? Do you really think the Steeler organization had nothing to do with payoffs (If indeed there were some and yes, I think there were.) Ben was one of my favorite players before I found out he was a sick and dangerous threat to society. If it was your sister, your girlfriend, your mother, you'd think differently. Classes on violence? Do you think that's what you'd get if you turned out to be a maniac? And with a name like Wolfgangta, that jury would have no mercy on you. LOL No, I believe that this man is the worst life has to offer and he needs to be out of the league. Not putting him out is giving him a pass to do it again. And yes, he'll do it again. Although next time, somebody'll blow his fucking head off.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:12 pm

4445Frank wrote:
Cutting Big Ben's punishment to only 4 games, not having consistency when it comes to punishing players, same unjust attitude towards yesterdays players that made this game what it is. Pete Rozelle was a brilliant visionary. Paul
T. just seemd to be good at being politically correct and staying out of the headlines. This Goodell guy doesn't know who he is and having a job like the "NFL Commissioner" is no place to accomplish that. If there is a strike of some kind between the union and the owners, Goodell should be helpless and it could seriously damage the NFL in ways we never imagined.

I really couldn't disagree more. I think Goodell is doing an excellent job. He also has the advantage of being able to use some exceptional businessmen like Bob Kraft and Jerry Jones and Randy Lerner and Arthur Blank as sounding boards.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:16 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
4445Frank wrote:

I really couldn't disagree more. I think Goodell is doing an excellent job. He also has the advantage of being able to use some exceptional businessmen like Bob Kraft and Jerry Jones and Randy Lerner and Arthur Blank as sounding boards.
Marble, a major screw up is a major screw up. Nixon may've been a great president had it not been for Watergate. Ben is a menace and needs to be out of the league. Cutting his suspension is madness. I should've been honest from the beginning and stated that this was my motive for my judgement of Goodell. Though to be honest, I'm not impressed with using Jerry Jones nor Arthur Blank for a sounding board, but that's a different subject.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:30 pm

Frank, you lost all credibility the second you made it clear that your beef is with Ben. You should have made a thread on Ben and started off with saying that you can't believe that the pig Worthlessberger will play football this year rather than be sitting in jail. It's not fair to take aim at Goodell for not doing the job of which you thought the legal system should have done.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:33 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Frank, you lost all credibility the second you made it clear that your beef is with Ben. You should have made a thread on Ben and started off with saying that you can't believe that the pig Worthlessberger will play football this year rather than be sitting in jail. It's not fair to take aim at Goodell for not doing the job of which you thought the legal system should have done.
All credibility?? Isn't that kind of harsh? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 9:10 pm

He's right though. Ben may or may not be a rapist, but it's clear he has power and control issues with women. He needs reeducation.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 9:59 pm

4445Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
4445Frank wrote:

Marble, a major screw up is a major screw up. Nixon may've been a great president had it not been for Watergate. Ben is a menace and needs to be out of the league. Cutting his suspension is madness. I should've been honest from the beginning and stated that this was my motive for my judgement of Goodell. Though to be honest, I'm not impressed with using Jerry Jones nor Arthur Blank for a sounding board, but that's a different subject.

And how exactly does the Commish banish Ben without incurring GIGANTIC legal liability? The guy not only hasn't been convicted of anything serious, he hasn't even been charged with anything serious.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:40 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
4445Frank wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
4445Frank wrote:

And how exactly does the Commish banish Ben without incurring GIGANTIC legal liability? The guy not only hasn't been convicted of anything serious, he hasn't even been charged with anything serious.
Marble, if we're not going to look between the lines on this one, then the term should've never been invented. You're a smart guy. You tell me what really happened.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?   Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does the NFL have a future under Roger Goodell?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next