Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Are people in the US racist?

Go down 
+19
cascade_run
LA
OU
Ring
GDPofDRC
Tobe06
mannyfresh
oggy420
NoRegret
4445Frank
WinstonSmith
KrazyHorseBennett
Andrew the Raider King
acccardinal12
timthebim
Wolfgangsta
marbleheadmaui
josh200612
captainanddew
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

Are people in the US racist? Empty
PostSubject: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 9:25 pm

I'm flipping and on ABC, Primetime, called, "What would you do"

They have a white kid trying to take a bike that wasn't his in the park. He is hitting the chain lock it with a hammer. People walk by and don't say anything. Finally an old couple stops to ask him if that is his bike, etc....

So they put a black kid out there. And within a minute you have everyone stopping. People snapping pictures, giving him hell, someone calls the cops, etc....

Yes, it is one set-up experiment. But it was eye opening.

Even black people that passed the white kid gave him the benefit of the doubt, while everyone who passed the black kid almost immediately figured he was stealing the bike and stopped to question him.

Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 9:27 pm

so now they put a hot blond chick out there.

An old guy stops and she says it isn't her bike, but she might need the bike.

Another older couple comes up, and a guy helps her use a saw to cut the chain.

Guess everyone loves a hot chick.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 9:28 pm

So we have learned:
people assume a young white kid is to be given the benefit of the doubt and not to assume he is stealing
people assume a black kid is stealing
guys want to help a hot blond chick steal a bike (even when she says she is stealing the damn bike). Men love hot chicks.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 9:30 pm

guys admit they know it is wrong, but what can you do, the chick is hot.
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 9:31 pm

lol its insane.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 9:34 pm

People EVERYWHERE are racist, and stupid, and ill informed.

Welcome to the human condition.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Thank you marble. People in the US, specifically white people, the target of this character assassination attempt(racist in it's own motivation you could argue) as a whole are probably the least racist race on the planet in 2010.

Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 9:55 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Thank you marble. People in the US, specifically white people, the target of this character assassination attempt(racist in it's own motivation you could argue) as a whole are probably the least racist race on the planet in 2010.

I would have to agree.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:06 pm

timthebim wrote:
Wolfgangsta wrote:

I would have to agree.

Don't really know the answer to that. What I can say is of the 20ish or so nations I've been to they either were ethnically homogenous or worse than the US. Canada might be the exception. Canuckistanis are pretty good at the live and let live thing.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:09 pm

wolf, why are white people the target of a character assassination attempt?
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:44 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:

this!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:50 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:

I think the problem is systemic. Our system in the US (and in many parts of the world) favors lighter skinned people over darker skinned people. There are people of all races who are ignorant and prejudiced, but the system favors lighter skinned people.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Because we're the only race that is bothered by racism. I think it comes from the extreme success European people encountered at the relative expense of the rest of the planet.

White guilt.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:53 pm

Gumby wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

I think the problem is systemic. Our system in the US (and in many parts of the world) favors lighter skinned people over darker skinned people. There are people of all races who are ignorant and prejudiced, but the system favors lighter skinned people.

Nah, there's no consistent system across time and cultures that could be explanatory here. The best explanation I've read is that suspicion of people who look different might be an evolutionary tool for sensing danger. But who the hell knows.

Last edited by marbleheadmaui on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:57 pm

Quote :

Paradoxically, our system in the US(and by extension copy-cat Europe) was the first to make an effort to separate itself from the core ethnicity of the nation. The Japanese government still looks out for the Japanese people for instance. It's not like that in the West so much anymore.

Indeed the future of many European ethnic groups are in doubt because of this.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 10:58 pm

Quote :

Nah, there's no consistent system that could be explanatory here. The best explanation I've read is that suspicion of people who look different might be an evolutionary tool for sensing danger. But who the hell knows.

Preference of your own family/ethnic groups shouldn't even have to be justified if we remove morals and look at our race biologically. Too bad we can't do that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 11:01 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Gumby wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

Nah, there's no consistent system across time and cultures that could be explanatory here. The best explanation I've read is that suspicion of people who look different might be an evolutionary tool for sensing danger. But who the hell knows.

I meant to say our system specifically in the US and how it was created. Other parts of the world that were colonized by Europe have similar racial hierarchies (Much of Africa, South America, Australia).
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 11:04 pm

Gumby wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Gumby wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

I meant to say our system specifically in the US and how it was created. Other parts of the world that were colonized by Europe have similar racial hierarchies (Much of Africa, South America, Australia).

yeah but even if that is true (not granting the point, but for the sake of argument), it doesn't explain racism in ancient Greece or in current day Japan or in Middle Ages Spain and I can go on and on.

The other thing is I think the "system" you cite didn't CAUSE racism. It was the RESULT of pre-system racism.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 11:11 pm

maui extremely logical today. Which is strange because most boxing fans are usually full on hate-whitey even if they're white.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 12:08 am

Ummm....my life experience is that everyone is racist. But racism is stupid when it comes down to the fact that we actually have people of the same race fighting with each other. The people of Sahara Africa, sub-Sahara Africa, white and black in Zimbabwe and South Africa. People of the former nations of Russia, Czechoslovakia, Ireland, Spain, and France. People of Afghanistan, The Indus valley, India period, China, Japan, etc. Racism is simplification for a larger problem people do not want to discuss, because it requires deeper thinking than when is
"American Idol" on?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 12:14 am

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
Ummm....my life experience is that everyone is racist. But racism is stupid when it comes down to the fact that we actually have people of the same race fighting with each other. The people of Sahara Africa, sub-Sahara Africa, white and black in Zimbabwe and South Africa. People of the former nations of Russia, Czechoslovakia, Ireland, Spain, and France. People of Afghanistan, The Indus valley, India period, China, Japan, etc. Racism is simplification for a larger problem people do not want to discuss, because it requires deeper thinking than when is
"American Idol" on?

The larger problem being human nature or a lack of cowbell?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 12:18 am

Every race is racist. They are usually the most racist to races they have a past with.
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 1:21 am

Looking at population percentages versus incarceration rates, a black person is highly more likely to be committing a crime than a white person.

Of course some people want to plug their ears and cover their eyes to the truth of the matter, but they are cold hard facts.

Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 2:08 am

Ya, Krazy. I mean, look at the arrest percentage of Krazyhorse himself vs white fighters.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 2:59 am

People are entitled to their beliefs,but one's freedom of speech ends at the tip of my nose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are people in the US racist?   Are people in the US racist? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are people in the US racist?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next