Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED Empty
PostSubject: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 3:20 am

In no order

Jack Blackburn-Famous as Joe Louis' trainer. Historian Charlie Rose named him the #3 lightweight of all time.

Al McCoy-One time undisputed middleweight champ.

George Chip-One time undisputed middleweight champ.

Jack Dillon-One time undisputed light heavy king. Nat Fleischer had him as #3 light heavy of all time. Charley Rose had him #2.

Battling Levinsky-One time undisputed light heavy king. Fleischer had him #6 LHW of all time.

Mike McTigue-One time undisputed LHW king. Rose ranked him #10 all-time.

Billy Miske-HOF heavyweight who challenged Dempsey for title.

Bill Brennan-Challenged Dempsey for heavyweight crown.

Mike Gibbons-#4 ranked middle all-time by Rose, #9 by Fleischer.

Tommy Gibbons-#5 LHW by Rose, #8 by Fleischer.

Kid Norfolk-HOF light heavyweight

Bob Moha
-One time LHW champ.

Gene Tunney-One time heavyweight champ. Herb Goldman ranks him #1 all-time LHW.

Tommy Loughran-One time LHW champ. Fleischer ranks him #4, Rose #4 light heavy.

Johnny Wilson-Reigning middleweight champion.

Tiger Flowers-One time middleweight champ. Rose ranks him #5, Goldman #12.

Mickey Walker-One time welter and middle champ. Rose ranks him #3 middle, Fleischer #4 and Goldman #4.

Maxie Rosenbloom-One time undisputed light heavy champ.

There are 19 men on this list who were, in a time of eight divisions and one belt per, champions, or, highly rated by historians or HOFers. In almost all cases it is at least 2 of 3.

Harry Greb defeated these men a total of 40 times.

Ring ratings began in 1924. From 1924 until his 1926 retirement, Greb defeated another eight ranked men who were not on the above list.

Seriously, is the lack of film all that important?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 8:20 am

A simply awe-inspiring resume.
Back to top Go down
dbudge87
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 8:50 am

from the books i have read it would appear that Greb was possibly one of the greatest p4p of all time and it would also appear that Jack Dempsey made sure he never had to share the same ring with this legend, is that correct mr Marble?
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 9:40 am

i doubt very much if theres a resume that is similar to grebs.and its a gaurentee that in the future no one will match harrys top fights.every fighter there was either a great one or a top elite fighter in there day..there were other good fighters also harry fought and beat..although nat fletcher founded the great ring magazine and loved the game any opinions or rankings of his ill take with a half of grain of salt.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 12:28 pm

dbudge87 wrote:
from the books i have read it would appear that Greb was possibly one of the greatest p4p of all time and it would also appear that Jack Dempsey made sure he never had to share the same ring with this legend, is that correct mr Marble?

On two different occasions in 1920 before the Dempsey-Miske fight Greb went to Dempsey's training camp to spar with him. By every account I have ever read Greb was all Demspey could handle. Now it was sparring, but...

In addition of the nine men Dempsey fought after he became champion, Greb had already defeated five of them before they challenged Demspey.

Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 12:29 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
i doubt very much if theres a resume that is similar to grebs.and its a gaurentee that in the future no one will match harrys top fights.every fighter there was either a great one or a top elite fighter in there day..there were other good fighters also harry fought and beat..although nat fletcher founded the great ring magazine and loved the game any opinions or rankings of his ill take with a half of grain of salt.

The reason I use the Ring rankings is they have a long history and more importantly they aren't mine, so in that sense they are objective.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 12:42 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge87 wrote:

On two different occasions in 1920 before the Dempsey-Miske fight Greb went to Dempsey's training camp to spar with him. By every account I have ever read Greb was all Demspey could handle. Now it was sparring, but...

In addition of the nine men Dempsey fought after he became champion, Greb had already defeated five of them before they challenged Demspey.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't Dempsey a heavyweight and Greb a middleweight ?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge87 wrote:

Yuperooni. But Greb routinely fought light heavies/heavies and the gap between light heavies and heavies back then was far less than it is today. Remember Jack D only weighted 185-190.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 1:08 pm

your right Ali isnt that crazy bok i read said Greb basically schooled Dempsey in sparring and Dempsey couldnt touch him

thats a hell of a resume
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 1:09 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge87 wrote:

Yuperooni. But Greb routinely fought light heavies/heavies and the gap between light heavies and heavies back then was far less than it is today. Remember Jack D only weighted 185-190.

Wow Greb must have been one formidable guy to have the heavyweight champion avoiding him.

If only fighters today were as tough as those legends.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 1:15 pm

ali greb beat a half dozen HW contenders as a middle..marble i agree rings monthly ratings are excellent i ment nat fletchers all time list per division i take with a half grain of salt and there are several several examples of his lack of real objectivity in his all time rankings..at heavy corbett and fitz over joe louis who he ranked 6 th all time is a example.scmeling ranked 9th all time and philly jack obrien i believe if memory serves me correct as number 1 in the LHS over moore charles etc etc.with the exception of benny leanord the number 1 greatest in every division won there title before 1915....he refused to acknowedge ali as a top ten heavy and insisted ketchel was greater than greb or robinson..i can go on and on..lol another words nats full of it.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 1:18 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
ali greb beat a half dozen HW contenders as a middle..marble i agree rings monthly ratings are excellent i ment nat fletchers all time list per division i take with a half grain of salt and there are several several examples of his lack of real objectivity in his all time rankings..at heavy corbett and fitz over joe louis who he ranked 6 th all time is a example.scmeling ranked 9th all time and philly jack obrien i believe if memory serves me correct as number 1 in the LHS over moore charles etc etc.with the exception of benny leanord the number 1 greatest in every division won there title before 1915....he refused to acknowedge ali as a top ten heavy and insisted ketchel was greater than greb or robinson..i can go on and on..lol another words nats full of it.

Yeah. Nat had some questionable calls in my view as well. But he saw all these guys which has to give him SOME credibility. And when an experienced trainer like Charley Rose more or less agrees with him? Makes one think doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 1:20 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
Ali_1748 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
dbudge87 wrote:

Wow Greb must have been one formidable guy to have the heavyweight champion avoiding him.

If only fighters today were as tough as those legends.

See I suspect guys like JMM and Manny and Adamek ARE as "tough." But they don't prove it by fighting enough. And then of course there is the whole damned gang of "If I fight twice a year I'm highly active" gang.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 1:56 pm

thats an awesome resume. imagine if greb would have actually fought dempsey and beat him. would that have put greb over the top to be a for sure top 3 p4p guy ever? some people already have him up there but im just saying that if demspey would have fought him, grebs legacy could have been truly unbelievable.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 2:00 pm

powerpuncher wrote:
thats an awesome resume. imagine if greb would have actually fought dempsey and beat him. would that have put greb over the top to be a for sure top 3 p4p guy ever? some people already have him up there but im just saying that if demspey would have fought him, grebs legacy could have been truly unbelievable.

Greb beats Dempsey and I think he might be #1.

As it is I think most folks have him in the top 3.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED   THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED Empty

Back to top Go down

THE MEN HARRY GREB DEFEATED
Page 1 of 1