Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

use of oxygen cans?

Go down 
+6
killerofchicken
Ludo
KingsOwn19
GolbeZ
SOKO
OU
10 posters
AuthorMessage
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

use of oxygen cans? Empty
PostSubject: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 11:29 am

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/8/23/1637417/confusion-over-oxygen-cans-at
Quoteworhty:

"The [use of oxygen] cans were actually brought to my attention this morning by one of our guys. I didn't see anything, but I had heard they were taking canned oxygen. But right now I just don't have enough information and I don't want to comment until I find out what it was. But from what I hear everything they did was approved by the commission so we'll have a conversation with them."

If you didn't catch both "King" Mo and K.J. Noons using canned oxygen directly before their fights at Strikeforce: Houston

use of oxygen cans? Kyspray_medium
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 12:31 pm

king mo should of had one in his mouth the whole time to stand a chance.
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 12:49 pm

This is similar to:

use of oxygen cans? Magic-spray
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 12:52 pm

GolbeZ wrote:
This is similar to:

use of oxygen cans? Magic-spray

Eh not really, I mean they are both in cans. Probably both more for show then anything too. But those 3 or 4 sprays they use in soccer for numbing and buying time are in theory used to solve a problem or injury. What is this air for? A nice shot of oxygen before the fight???
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 1:01 pm

I guess Bobby Lashley forgot his.

I guess if it's a big deal it's a big deal but i personally don't see what the issue is with oxygen.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 1:03 pm

It's for endurance and stamina. The cans have 90-95% pure oxygen compared to the roughly 22% in the air around us.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Is this in anyway comparable to blood doping? To a much lesser degree.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 1:11 pm

It is to a lesser degree definitely. The stuff is used to give you more "energy" so to speak. It doesn't make you stronger or faster, it just allows you to perform longer before you become tired or gassed is all.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 1:22 pm

So...what if they drank a big ol sugar free Rock Star before the fight and in between rounds...or 6 hour energy, Red Bull? That gives you a boost of energy and endurance and wings...maybe not as much as these cans but where do you draw the line?

Is it bad to use legal substances to give you more energy and endurance...maybe help your breathing especially when it's not nixed by the commission?

If it's not legal in MMA than the TSAC purpose in all sports is to enforce that because after all, they are the ones who make the rules. Mo and Noons clearly didnt know that it could turn out to be a deal otherwise they would not have been so obvious. It's on TSAC and with no drug testing, possibly not knowing their own regulations and not to mention the worst fuckin ref imaginable...these guys arent ready for MMA.

Last edited by KingsOwn19 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 1:25 pm

I think they will take a hard look at this. If you do it in the locker room rather then in the cage is it still effective?
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 1:26 pm

I remember when I use to wrestle they would give you a squirt of honey before the match.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 1:34 pm

doesn't the sanctioning commission control things like this, and were they not present cage side? if they saw no problem with it, i dont see a problem with it.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 2:18 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
So...what if they drank a big ol sugar free Rock Star before the fight and in between rounds...or 6 hour energy, Red Bull? That gives you a boost of energy and endurance and wings...maybe not as much as these cans but where do you draw the line?

Is it bad to use legal substances to give you more energy and endurance...maybe help your breathing especially when it's not nixed by the commission?

If it's not legal in MMA than the TSAC purpose in all sports is to enforce that because after all, they are the ones who make the rules. Mo and Noons clearly didnt know that it could turn out to be a deal otherwise they would not have been so obvious. It's on TSAC and with no drug testing, possibly not knowing their own regulations and not to mention the worst fuckin ref imaginable...these guys arent ready for MMA.

Actually the substance isn't allowed by any state's athletic commission that allows MMA, including texas.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 2:22 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
I think they will take a hard look at this. If you do it in the locker room rather then in the cage is it still effective?

That I'm not sure of. I would imagine if you take two or three shots it will have lasting effects of at least twenty minutes or so, I'm not sure why they waited until Noons was cageside and until Mo was actually already in the cage.
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 2:50 pm

I have actually gone to an Oxygen bar and sat there like a med patient with 02 pumping into my nostrils .. it caused light headiness.. which probably isn't what I want before a fight.

and this is nothing similar to blood doping.. the act of taking out red blood cells from your body to allow your body to create more red blood cells. Than right before an event putting all the red blood cells back into your body so that you have an excess amount of Oxygen carrying red blood cells. Is similar to taking a shot of o2?

No matter how concentrate the o2 is, our body has a limit of how much oxygen that hemoglobin can bind to.. unlike blood doping which ACTUALLY increases that limitation

I could be wrong though.. I only took 2 years of anatomy and physiology.. so a doctor could explain it better.. obviously.

Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 3:03 pm

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20398/texas-commission-says-oxygen-ok-no-actions-taken-against-referees.mma
"Susan Stanford, the TDLR's Public Information Officer, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal and K.J. Noons were within their rights to use bottled oxygen prior to competition."
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Is it like getting high off of Dust-Off? if it is then they shouldn't do it, it kills the brains
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 3:16 pm

Well...looks like we can close the file on that one.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 3:24 pm

KOC said it and that is what makes sense.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 3:33 pm

I just thought they were whipits
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 3:35 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 3:42 pm

Aske the Fight Doc weighs in
http://mmajunkie.com/news/20397/ask-the-fight-doc-what-did-strikeforce-fighters-spray-into-their-mouths.mma
The use of compressed oxygen is popular in endurance and altitude sports. Some athletes apparently believe that inhaling compressed oxygen will aid in rapid recovery, as well as enhance performance and/or training.

The current use of supplemental oxygen during MMA competition is somewhat of a gray area. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) as of Jan. 1 2010 removed supplemental compressed oxygen from its list of banned substances. But to my personal dismay, the powers that govern MMA in the U.S. have to date failed to adopt WADA standards. Each state continues to set its own standard when it comes to banned substances and performance-enhancing drugs.

The use or possession of compressed supplemental oxygen in the corner between rounds of a sanctioned fight does not appear to be consistent with the rules as published on the TDLR website. Approved supplies for the corner are limited to: ice in a bag, water, cotton swabs, gauze pads, clean towels, Adrenaline 1:10,000, Avitene (clotting agent), Thrombin (clotting agent), petroleum jelly, tape, Enswel, and electrolytes.

Whatever was in those canisters (most likely oxygen) does not appear to be on that list.

FYI – the canisters on the video have interesting graphics that are clearly evident on the replays, and I believe that I've located the website to properly ID the contents. The website has multiple athletes listed that endorse the compressed oxygen product. Some endorsers happen to be well-known MMA athletes, but Noons and Lawal were not listed. Kind of scary what you can find on the Internet if you're so inclined.

Does the use of compressed supplemental oxygen benefit a fighter's performance or recovery between rounds during a fight? An article in the Journal of the American Medical Association by F.D. Winter Jr. entitled the "Effects of 100% Oxygen on Performance of Professional Soccer Players" (JAMA July 14, 1989 - Vol. 262, No. 2) may provide some reasonable information on our current topic.

I won't bore you with the minutiae (though you can read it yourself), but this study found no significant benefit. Might it help mountain climbers and free divers? Who knows, but those particular activities do not correlate well with a MMA contest in Houston, Texas, which is only a few feet above sea level.

*all of the above was taken from mmajunkie.com
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 4:09 pm

Why do you think the Olympic Training Center is at 6,200 feet in Colorado Springs?
Back to top Go down
r3dman7630
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
r3dman7630

Favorite Fighter(s) : Hendo, Fedor, Big Nog, Couture, Shogun, Gomi, Carrano, any one who fights Brock! and all the underdogs....

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 7:28 pm

use of oxygen cans? Thumbnail

President Skroob used it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: use of oxygen cans?   use of oxygen cans? Empty

Back to top Go down

use of oxygen cans?
Page 1 of 1