Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Size of the ring?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Size of the ring? Empty
PostSubject: Size of the ring?   Size of the ring? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:52 am

What are some fights where ring size was a major factor?

How has ring size changed over the years?
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

Size of the ring? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Size of the ring?   Size of the ring? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 11:10 am

good question..im not sure what the original ring size was but for 60 years ive watched the fights the size considered the standard size was 16 feet.ring sizes varried in that time frame from the standard 16 to 20 feet..examples the changes over the standard size was a result usualy of agreeded upon negotiations..ali and ray leanord always wanted a 20 foot ring..why.cause it benefited them cause of the extra room to manuever ...a willie pep didnt care what size cause he knew he could do his thing with ease no matter what..usualy when a big puncher meets a boxer you may see a bigger ring cause the boxer wanted it or maybe no fight..more and more it seems a 20 foot ring is used today like its becoming a new standard.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Size of the ring? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Size of the ring?   Size of the ring? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 11:49 am

I never thought ring size was that important. If a guy knows how to cut off the ring, the largest ring will seem like a phone booth. If you're fighting a slick mover like Pep, the smallest ring can feel like the largest place you've ever been. I always thought it was about the fighters, not the ring.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

Size of the ring? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Size of the ring?   Size of the ring? EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:35 pm

Under Queensbury rules the ring is supposed to be 24 feet more or less. A HUGE ring by today's standards.

If there is any consistency in ring sizes other than what is negotiated by the main event participants? I've never seen it.

I know Robinson liked a 20 footer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Size of the ring? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Size of the ring?   Size of the ring? Empty

Back to top Go down

Size of the ring?
Page 1 of 1