Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BOXING APPRECIATION II

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

BOXING APPRECIATION II Empty
PostSubject: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 6:50 pm

I enjoyed writing this enough https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net/boxing-f2/boxing-appreciation-t7469.htm

that I thought I'd do another one.

COMBINATION PUNCHING-Punching in combination is a higher form of art than throwing one punch at a time because it requires balance shifts, transitional footwork and the willingness to stay within punching range for long periods of time. For the same reason longer combinations are a higher art than shorter ones. In other words a seven punch combination is technically superior to a five punch which is superior to a three punch. Longer combinations also tend to be more effective because it makes the foe look in more places and anticipate over a longer period of time. In general, punching repeatedly with the same hand is a higher art and more difficult than alternating them. Lastly, punching in different planes is superior to punching in one plane. Jabs, hooks to the head and crosses all follow more or less the same plane. They are nearly horizontal in nature. Uppercuts and the variations thereof are vertical or nearly so. Body punching can be either depending on the punch thrown. But in any case they are on at least a different visual plane from the same punch to the head. Here are three of my favorite combinations (in no order and all referencing orthodox fighters)

-The left hook to the ribs left hook to the head-This combination has a long and distinguished history for a very simple reason. The normally proportioned man, when fully bending his arm and holding it close to the body cannot cover both his beltline and his chin. One or the other must be momentarily vulnerable. This punch requires shifting almost all one's weight onto the left foot, crouching and exploding to the body and letting the landed punch stop one's rotation. Then one immediately, with only a recock, while driving off the left foot so the weight is driven to the right foot, throws again while rotating the left hand so the palm faces the floor. One can jab step to the right with the second hook if one prefers. When finished, as always after a properly thrown left hook to the head the weight is rebalanced and the fighter is in position to jab, cross or move. Given this, this combination can be extended into almost anything else. In every case the fighter throwing should begin by positioning himself so his head is opposite the foes right shoulder.

One of the best things about this combination is that one can vary it so easily from a physical perspective. One can double hook to the body then go to the head, one can hook to the body and double hook to the head etc. One can even reverse and throw to the head first and then go to the body. I always found that rarer and much more difficult though. Ruben Olivares, Julio Cesar Chavez and Joe Frazier are the best I have seen at this.

-The left hook to the belly, right hand to the head
-This was Tony Zale's money combination. It has punches coming from two entirely different planes. It is in some ways a basic "over-under" approach. But one sees it rarely and it is because it is hard to do and dangerous to throw, To land a left hook to the body, one must have good enough footwork and anticipation to get into a really exaggerated position where one's left foot is opposite the foe's belly and one is pivoted forty-five degrees or so. Then the combination is weight on left foot, hook/uppercut to the belly and a chopping overhand right. Two wildly divergent punching angles. Here's the danger, when one is in that exaggerated position, if the foe throws a left hook to the head just before the belly punch lands? His hook can land while the right hand is just being thrown and leaving the chin uncovered. It is beautiful when done right. One can jab to begin and end this combination easily making it four punches. Watch Graziano-Zale to see this.

-The uppercut-hook/cross with the same hand
-Another thing of beauty requiring exceptional balance, footwork and fearlessness. One has to find a way to get close, a jab or even two is usually a good beginning to this one. If one is using the left hand one wants to be just right of the mid-line of the foe and in the crouch an uppercut requires. This is the fearless part. Jabbing in then getting into the crouch takes time, not a lot, but some. One then explodes out of the crouch with a SHORT uppercut. It must stay short. Otherwise one cannot get the left hand easily into position for the short hook to the head. The second punch requires a dramatic weight shift to the right foot and almost a re-crouch. Once again it can involve a jab step with the right foot. It's not easy to do and then be in position to continue punching or to move. Mike Tyson and Oscar deLa Hoya were masters at this.

I have seen a tiny handful of fighters who can reverse the left hand approach and throw the hook to the head first and then throw the uppercut. I have tried it and it is damned near impossible even on a heavy bag. Getting the weight back to the left foot just takes too long. Whenever I've tried it sparring? I got hit in the head a lot with a counter right. I stopped trying it. Oscar could do this. Incredible.

If one is using the right hand, again, one must already be inside and crouched. One rotates the shoulders and hips while gently transitioning the weight to the front foot and throws a short uppercut. Then one rocks onto the back foot, recocks the right hand at the fist and EXLODES onto the front foot with a hard straight right hand. This combination isn't technically as demanding as forward and back movements are generally more easily leaned than ones to the side. Jersey Joe Walcott, James Toney, Bernard Hopkins and Floyd Mayweather Junior made this a significant part of their arsenal.

CROSSING THE "T"- I don't know what the actual boxing term is for this. Crossing the T is a naval maneuver when one ship sails across the bow of another. It enables the ship "Crossing the T" to fire all of its guns while the other ship can only fire those facing front. In boxing what I mean is this. One fighter is able to position himself with one foot in front of the other guy and one behind him, perpendicular with his left shoulder aligned to the side of the foes left shoulder. It takes not only absolutely SPECTACULAR technical skill, one's just gotta be flat out fast to get there. But once a fighter is there? Look out. The right hand punch is coming almost from behind the foe and is virtually unseeable. The left can go to the belley or to the head with full force. Here's the other thing, the foe cannot throw. He just can't. He must pivot first or move some other way. But he can only move in one direction. He must move his right foot and swing around and while in that motion only his right hand is useful. It's as advantageous a position as can be generated in the sport. A young Julio Cesar Chavez could get there, Aaron Pryor could get there, Joe Walcott could get there, Ike Williams could get there, Salvador Sanchez could get there. Today? Floyd used to be able to, when Manny does everything perfectly and does this? Man oh man, ask Miguel Cotto what happens.

I hope my fellow posters will point out examples of boxing craft for the rest of us to look for as well. It makes watching fights far more interesting in my view.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

Favorite Fighter(s) : Marvin Hagler,Ben Henderson,Rich Franklin,Clay Guida

PostSubject: Re: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 6:54 pm

I still get excited when I see Marciano's double left hook KO of Matthews.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 6:59 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:

I think I wrote this on something else, but like a month ago I happened to watch Kid Matthews beat Bob Murphy and then the Marciano fight back to back. Matthews frustrated Murphy all night by leaning straight back from Murphy's hook. He did that to Rocky in the first round and in the second Rocky figures it out and KABLOOEY! Really eye opening.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 7:26 pm

And to think Marciano was not known for his speed or his left-handed power.I know it's barbaric to say this,but there was something savagely appealing in the final volley of punches that did Louis in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 7:33 pm

Don't know any official terms:

Single Punches

The Targeting Jab - When a fighter throws a lazy jab and leaves it out to find space for and target a straight. If the fighter can get the jab in between their opponent's guard, the next punch is going right at that spot.

I know Dawson uses this a ton.

The Step Back Uppercut - A fighter will start to generate power and then plant hard on their back foot and use it to explode off of. It's almost like a golf swing. I think these are usually the most vicious KOs because guys walk right into them.

If Dawson stops Pascal, this is how I think he could do it. I don't think he has the power otherwise unless Pascal decides not to defend and Dawson can land his hooks to the head.

Back to top Go down
RUM CAPITAL
Blue Belt
Blue Belt
RUM CAPITAL

Favorite Fighter(s) : Carlos Ortiz,Henry Armstrong and Wilfredo Gomez

PostSubject: Re: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 7:37 pm

WinstonSmith wrote:
if you watch that round rocky throws nothing but hooks. finally he throws a jab which moves matthews to the range where rocky just destroys him. he set him up beautifully.
Back to top Go down
WinstonSmith
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
WinstonSmith

PostSubject: Re: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 7:52 pm

RUM CAPITAL wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:
if you watch that round rocky throws nothing but hooks. finally he throws a jab which moves matthews to the range where rocky just destroys him. he set him up beautifully.

Marciano exhibited more ring smarts than he's been given credit for.Instead of the brutish slugger he's portrayed as,there was a method to his madness.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 8:17 pm

another great artice marble here is my add

Left Hook, straight Right Hand combo - the manny steward specialty , throw the left hook and knock them straight into the right hand. Hearns was good at this but honestly Lennox Lewis really made this a great tool. I always enjoyed seeing his fighters employ this.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 8:19 pm

i like your explenation of crossing the t , normally occurs when you can turn a guy or spin him and end up right there Pernell used to be able to do it as well and man is it a thing of beauty when it happens
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 12:16 am

Gumby wrote:
Don't know any official terms:

Single Punches

The Targeting Jab - When a fighter throws a lazy jab and leaves it out to find space for and target a straight. If the fighter can get the jab in between their opponent's guard, the next punch is going right at that spot.

I know Dawson uses this a ton.

The Step Back Uppercut - A fighter will start to generate power and then plant hard on their back foot and use it to explode off of. It's almost like a golf swing. I think these are usually the most vicious KOs because guys walk right into them.

If Dawson stops Pascal, this is how I think he could do it. I don't think he has the power otherwise unless Pascal decides not to defend and Dawson can land his hooks to the head.

VERY nice. Especially the first and ESPECIALLY if the other guy is dumb enough to parry with his left hand.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 12:17 am

Birdofthad wrote:
i like your explenation of crossing the t , normally occurs when you can turn a guy or spin him and end up right there Pernell used to be able to do it as well and man is it a thing of beauty when it happens

Ya know you're exactly right about Sweet Pea and spinning. It does the same thing. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 12:22 am

anytime thank you for another great thread

nothing like a good spin and attack

I know it is cosidered dirty and almost always gets a warning but damn it, 1 guy just did something pretty amazing to do that so i dont really see much of a problem with it
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
anytime thank you for another great thread

nothing like a good spin and attack

I know it is cosidered dirty and almost always gets a warning but damn it, 1 guy just did something pretty amazing to do that so i dont really see much of a problem with it

I'm bad on "in-ring" dirtiness. I like it Smile
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 8:14 pm

same here I love a good crafty fighter who nows how to throw the dirt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BOXING APPRECIATION II   BOXING APPRECIATION II Empty

Back to top Go down

BOXING APPRECIATION II
Page 1 of 1