Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?

Go down 
+5
SOKO
acccardinal12
bobbitt15
Birdofthad
Wolfgangsta
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? Empty
PostSubject: Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?   Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 6:48 pm

Jones seems to think so ;

Quote :
"I respect Vladimir a ton and I look at him as a huge step-up in competition and a huge test for me. I think he’s a great warrior and he’s everything when it comes to having a tough fight. He probably has some of the best wrestling credentials I ever fought against, he definitely has the best record I’ve ever gone against, and he’s the best fighter I ever fought. I think he’s better than Stephan Bonnar, better than Hamill, better than Brandon Vera. Technique wise and skill wise, I’m considering him the hardest fight I’ve had."

I think he may be the best ranked fighter he has faced, but does he really represent a "huge step up"? Hamill and Vera have good MMA wrestling, but not world class wrestling, where Matyushenko arguably does, at least in pedigree. And like Jones said, he does own the best record of any opponent Jones has faced thus far as well. But the sticking point against Matyushenko has to be his age and less than stellar striking pedigree. He isn't as rounded as Vera. I have always liked Vladimir Matyushenko but I am not sure he would be a favorite against Vera, or Hamill.

Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?   Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 7:30 pm

ill go with ya Janitor has some good wins and has been in there with alot of good fighters
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?   Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 7:32 pm

You could make an argument that he's the best fighter Jones will have faced, but at the same time I give him less of a chance than I did Hamill or Vera
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?   Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 8:25 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
You could make an argument that he's the best fighter Jones will have faced, but at the same time I give him less of a chance than I did Hamill or Vera

I agree
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?   Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 9:05 pm

I'd say Vera is the best he's faced so far, at one stage Vera was a heavyweight contender and lost a close decision to Couture last year.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?   Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 9:38 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
I'd say Vera is the best he's faced so far, at one stage Vera was a heavyweight contender and lost a close decision to Couture last year.

agreed
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?   Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 10:51 pm

Bonnar gave him fits too, but Vladi has the most experience and if he can pull out a win it put him up higher. Though I can't really see Matyushenko winning.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?   Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 11:25 pm

I dont think he is the best Bones fought. I think Hamill has alot of potential to be very good and Bonnar is also a good fighter but Vera is the best he has fought already and after Vlad Vera will still be the best.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?   Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 4:36 pm

Jones did nothing but pull off Street Fighter arcade moves against Bonnar until he got tired in the last round. There was no threat there
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?   Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 10:37 pm

I have Matyushenko as the best fighter, and biggest threat to Jones.

However I don't see it as a huge step up, Hamill and Vera are close to Matyushenko. And I'd be shocked if Jones lost this.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?   Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 10:52 pm

He's dominated each so one sidedly that it doesn't matter. There is obviously a giant gap between him and that group.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?   Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 10:58 pm

Hamill and Vera are both better. At this point i'd rank Janitor with an in shape O'Brien who is no slouch...the efficiency is extremely impressive.

Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?   Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? EmptySun Aug 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Ur absolutely right Wolf.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?   Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Vladimir Matyushenko really the best fighter Jones has faced?
Page 1 of 1