Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek

Go down 
+4
Birdofthad
Canvas
OU
Wolfgangsta
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek Empty
PostSubject: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:04 pm

I liked the Next Generation and many of the movies, but jeeesh the plot, acting and development of the remake was atrocious. I was super disappointed. 2/4 stars.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Really ? Star Trek XI was my favorite movie of 2009.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Yeah it was a good movie. Just about everyone alteast enjoyed it on some level.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 1:36 pm

Ya I am shocked, the comic relief moments felt akward, as did the inclusion of elements of past characters. Nothing about the characters developed naturally, the story felt like a recycled version of like 8 different movies in the Star Trek series, and the idea of dumping a warp core into a black hole to create an explosion to escape the event horizon required an insulting level of suspension if disbelief. Indeed that whole scene was only fabricated so there could be a "damn scotty it I need more power! "but ive given her all ive got captain!".

I really can't believe critics liked this junk. Special effects fool anyone I guess. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 2:14 pm

Thank you. I thought I was the only one. I absolutely hated how they all met right out of the academy on their first voyage together. I hated how cliched the Kirk 'rebel without a cause' schtick was. I hated the Spock/Uhara romance angle.

I despised the maudlin, Bruckheimer-esque opening scene where Kirk's father listens to his son's birth as he dies. AWFUL !!!

A big,stupid, action movie tailored to appeal to the ADHD-laden generation of morons.

Dumbed down and sexed up. After seeing this and the gawd-awful mission impossible sequel, I will never watch another film from this director.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 2:28 pm

did Kirk bang some weird alien in this one as well?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 3:27 pm

Canvas wrote:
Thank you. I thought I was the only one. I absolutely hated how they all met right out of the academy on their first voyage together. I hated how cliched the Kirk 'rebel without a cause' schtick was. I hated the Spock/Uhara romance angle.

I despised the maudlin, Bruckheimer-esque opening scene where Kirk's father listens to his son's birth as he dies. AWFUL !!!

A big,stupid, action movie tailored to appeal to the ADHD-laden generation of morons.

Dumbed down and sexed up. After seeing this and the gawd-awful mission impossible sequel, I will never watch another film from this director.

Right on. The Top-Gunesque genius cadet with a motorcycle, dead war hero dad and a chip on his shoulder who is so smart it justifies his habitual and constant breaking of serious military policy over and over again angle was really over the top and contrived. Oh Kirk, you're such a wild maverick in a time when everyone else is so by the book and stale, man you're sexy. Ugh.

The destruction of Vulcan didn't even seem to affect anyone but Spock and only marginally, and seemed really unbelievable. Also, this was supposed to be a reboot, yet they felt constrained by all the past source material they had to connect the universes with the silly old Spock time warp angle. I think every Star Trek movie time warps. Didn't need any of that shit. The general, non-trekkie movie going public that this movie was designed for didn't need elaborate explinations for cannon-breaks. We "get" reboots by now guys, really.

As is, now it doesn't feel like a reboot, now it feels like a really sad and uncomfortable alternate universe where James Kirk is a personality devoid faceless jock, Vulcan was completely destroyed, and everyone's ethnic accents sound forced and fake. The only thing I was rooting for was the un-doing of all these events.

I really can't get over how bad the casting was for Kirk. Horrific.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 12:41 am

Yeah wasn't really a big fan and didn't understand the obsession
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 4:03 am

you guys remember JimCarrey as Kirk

"Spock , are you out of your Vulcan Mind???"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oyzhuSQaz8
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 4:32 am

I hated it...
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Good but not great or exceptional though. By good I mean it was a typical summer blockbuster type, plot and acting are the secondary elements of the film after eye candy effects and cheap one liners.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Yo that was never the deal with Star Trek.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Yep, it was always about decent science fiction plots and stronger character relationships/conflicts, they never even tried to rely on eye candy effects, they were always subtle and secondary. That's the Wood these days.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 4:01 pm

With Trek plots since the beginning there was always some sort of allegory about our society, but this movie had none of that. Don't get me wrong, most of the time I hate when movies give me a "I think we've learned something today" gee wiz moral lession on racism or whatever, but what was always a huge part of Star Trek. This time all we were treated with were unrealistic genocides of entire planets as minor plot devices which the majority of the characters had forgotten about two minutes later.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 4:40 pm

http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/spotted-on-set-slideshow/star-trek-2-set-photos-photo-1330117974.html
I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek StarTrek-SpockFights-OLN-88-jpg_211252
The first images from the set of the highly anticipated Untitled Star Trek Sequel. The Top Secret plot of this film is partly revealed in these photos which show Zachary Quinto as Spock in a very intense fight with British Actor Benedict Cumberbatch who appears to be the film's Villain. Director JJ Abrams is seen on set meticulously choreographing & directing this very intense fight scene which took place on top of a moving Space Craft set.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Can't wait for the sequel.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 pm

If you don't always need award winning scripts or dialogue, complex plots with transcendent substance, or amazing character development to have fun at the movies then this piece of shit cliche, disposable action product that sacrileges the source material should let you suspend all your thoughts entirely, not that you think very much in the first fucking place sexy, hip and stylish modern take on Star Trek should be right up your ally. A great date movie if you date slutty retards you're just looking for a "popcorn" flick.

But if you share my over bearing and annoying, pseudo-intellectual post "The Wire" internet snobbery, or are a fellow Star Trek geek prefer your movies to be a bit more intellectually stimulating plot wise and your characters to feel a bit more genuine and loved the allegories found in the old Star Trek movies and series, then you should avoid this series. This wouldn't be a great date movie if you date ugly girls if you're looking for a deep conversation afterward don't wanna have sex.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Star Trek a date movie Laughing yeah if you picked up the chick from Comic Con maybe.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 11:31 pm

The new one is no different than other formerly geeky things cooled up by Hollywood. Trying to do to Star Trek what Spiderman did to comic book movies. Except there are a bunch of good comic book movies. And this was dogshit.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 3:28 am

Never saw any of the old Star Trek movies or TV shows, but I enjoyed the new one.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 7:02 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
Never saw any of the old Star Trek movies or TV shows, but I enjoyed the new one.

You also enjoy Church and the Bible so...the whole story having to make sense thing...or a coherent plot...or decent characters thing doesn't apply to you.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 9:34 am

Have you ever seen Star Trek? Haven you ever seen Star Trek.....on weed? Ohhh man that shit is just so much better. Need be to ship you a bag Wolfman? You gonna hit the L with me ole buddy? I'll battle rap you for the rest of my sack.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:

See Farmer is all right after all Wink
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

You also enjoy Church and the Bible so...the whole story having to make sense thing...or a coherent plot...or decent characters thing doesn't apply to you.

I'll pray for you.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 10:33 pm

haha I love that sig, 95% of me hates Chael but the 5% is because he was a DUCK!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek   I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek Empty

Back to top Go down

I really can't believe the critics liked Star Trek
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next