Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision

Go down 
+2
4445Frank
gomez1012
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision Empty
PostSubject: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:20 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/chris_mannix/07/27/mayweather.pacquiao/index.html?eref=sihp

Floyd Mayweather is a bully, one neatly wrapped in a cut 5-foot-8, 147-pound package. Like most bullies, Mayweather is intimidating. He sends promoters, managers and networks cowering in the corner with the mere threat of withholding his services. He holds the boxing world hostage by saying he will take his gloves and go home unless the fight isn't when he wants, where he wants and at what weight he wants. He perpetuates a lie -- like the one about his advisor, Al Haymon, not being involved in negotiations with Manny Pacquiao -- because he is confident in the fact that no one in the industry will stand up to him.

Well, someone finally did. Late Monday night, HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg -- the man in the middle of this mess -- issued a statement. In the statement, Greenburg confirmed what everyone in the world already knew. Yes, there had been negotiations. No, there will not be a fight between the two biggest names in the sport this year.

"Fights like Mayweather vs. Pacquiao are significant because of these fighters' ability to connect with sports fans around the world," said Greenburg. "It's unfortunate that it won't happen in 2010. I had been negotiating with a representative from each side since May 2, carefully trying to put the fight together. Hopefully, someday this fight will happen. Sports fans deserve it."

Mayweather's team issued a series of swift denials. But it is preposterous to suggest that Haymon, Mayweather's chief negotiator and the man Mayweather praises for his work at every ... single ... press conference would be involved in any kind of talks for a Mayweather fight without Mayweather's express approval. Greenburg has no reason to lie. Haymon has a large stable of clients that include Andre Berto, Paul Williams and Chris Arreola. But Mayweather is Haymon's golden goose. He brings home the biggest paycheck. And to believe Haymon pretended to speak on Mayweather's behalf for two months -- two months -- strains credulity to Avatar-like levels.

It didn't happen. Mayweather knew exactly what Haymon was doing, just like Leonard Ellerbe and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer did. Ellerbe is Mayweather's mouthpiece. He's a good man, one well-liked in the industry. But as sycophants come, he may be the definition. He parrots everything Floyd says -- "All roads lead to Floyd Mayweather" -- to the point where it almost doesn't matter who says it. The words are the same; the voices are just different.

Schaefer's stance is even more baffling. Schaefer, too, is well-respected in the industry and has advanced boxing as much as anyone with his innovative marketing strategies. But by backing Mayweather and denying any negotiations took place, he not only is calling his boss Oscar De La Hoya a liar -- De La Hoya, remember, went on Univision last month and said the Mayweather-Pacquiao negotiations were "very close" to being completed -- but he's calling every journalist he has spoken to on the subject a liar, too.

Sure, Schaefer has offered a firm "no comment" when asked about negotiations, but his words have been laced with hints that there was indeed something to comment on. Earlier this month, after Arum told SI.com that a deal had been struck, I called Schaefer looking for confirmation. Again, he said he had no comment. But he later announced, somewhat triumphantly, that I should tell Arum that he had "won the shut-up contest."

Shut up about what, exactly? Right.

The truth is Schaefer and Golden Boy have attached themselves to Mayweather because his affiliation with the company is one of the few assets keeping it viable. Click on the fighters page on Golden Boy's website and check out the four faces highlighted at the top. De La Hoya is gone, Bernard Hopkins should be and Shane Mosley and Juan Manuel Marquez are one bad loss away from potentially following them out the door.

They have a heavyweight champion (David Haye) who won't fight anybody. They have a former middleweight champion (Winky Wright) who won't either. There is talent at junior welterweight (Marcos Maidana, Victor Ortiz, Amir Khan) but not enough to carry the company. No, Golden Boy needs Mayweather and to cross him would burn a very lucrative bridge. And they are not going to do it.

Meanwhile, Mayweather sits back, content to amuse himself by working Ellerbe and Schaefer like puppets. He's comforted by the $65 million he earned in his past two fights, the kind of cash that reinforces the fantasy that he's the G.O.A.T ... when the reality is that he has yet to even prove he is the greatest of this time. He had a chance to cement that legacy this year by following up a win over Mosley with another over Pacquiao.

He passed.

But like it was with LeBron James, it wasn't so much the decision as how the decision was delivered. Coldly, and littered with a whole lot of lies.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:30 pm

Nice. I like that these writers are calling those pussies out.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Al Haymen and Floyd Mayweather: My reaction to this article is not one of surprise. I knew there were negotiations and any talk about it as this point is boring. It may surprise some, however my sympathies go out to Floyd Mayweather Jr. He's accomplished a great deal and should be proud of his career. However, he doesn't understand the finite nature of his career. He also doesn't understand that Haymen doesn't give a damn about him. He'll say he does, but he doesn't. Floyd sees hiimself as a rock star, however rock stars don't get brain damage. Rock stars can perform at 60 years old and still pack the house. Mayweather has a few years left. To turn his back on an historical match tells me he doens't understand any of that. In 3 years, Haymen will say "Floyd who?" Not because he's a bastard. That's the nature of the game. How much control does Roy Jones have over his career at this point? How important is he seen now? Floyd is a fighter. When all is said and done, all that will matter is his fighting career. Nothing else. The decision not to take the Pac fight was self destructive because he had a chance to shine as the biggest athlete in sports for one night. If he won, nobody would forget it. The money was great as well. Floyd is special now. He's acting like he's going to be special for 5 more years. That's probably not the case.

Last edited by 4445Frank on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:48 pm

The notion some have that a fighter outgh to bve credited for, well, NOT fighting, is bass ackwards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:50 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
The notion some have that a fighter outgh to bve credited for, well, NOT fighting, is bass ackwards.
What? Sorry I dont understand what you wrote.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:52 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:

Seems to be a trend these years....

Khan, Berto, Williams, your favorite Winky Wright, etc
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:55 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

That's only because it was poorly stated Smile

Fighters fight. Fighters who find excuses not to fight ought to be derided. But in Floyd's case some applaud him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 12:58 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:

That's only because it was poorly stated Smile

Fighters fight. Fighters who find excuses not to fight ought to be derided. But in Floyd's case some applaud him.
OK. I agree. Floyd will be forgotten after he retires I hope he realizes that is what is going to happen.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:00 pm

good article and well written to the point.mayweather will fight 2 or 3 more times and it wont be against pacquio..the next big fight could well be cotto vs margo 2..yep thats right.everyone one is dismissing margo as a fake..loaded gloves threwout his career and a poor unimpressive performance in his comback..slow easy to hit and no match for pac..hes tall 5-11 has only a 4 inch reach advantage and yes has taken some wars in the past..this will be another war and margo just may upset the applecart for floyd and company including arum...i think margo has a far better chance of koing pac then hes getting credit for..lets see what happens fight night..im not calling for a margo win but it could happen..all are saying this is a walk in the park a piece of cake for pac..your in for a suprize.margo is not clottey nor oscar..he will punch back and love the fact pac at times will take the fight to him..who ever wins will have won a hard fought fight.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:05 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
good article and well written to the point.mayweather will fight 2 or 3 more times and it wont be against pacquio..the next big fight could well be cotto vs margo 2..yep thats right.everyone one is dismissing margo as a fake..loaded gloves threwout his career and a poor unimpressive performance in his comback..slow easy to hit and no match for pac..hes tall 5-11 has only a 4 inch reach advantage and yes has taken some wars in the past..this will be another war and margo just may upset the applecart for floyd and company including arum...i think margo has a far better chance of koing pac then hes getting credit for..lets see what happens fight night..im not calling for a margo win but it could happen..all are saying this is a walk in the park a piece of cake for pac..your in for a suprize.margo is not clottey nor oscar..he will punch back and love the fact pac at times will take the fight to him..who ever wins will have won a hard fought fight.

I agree with this. I think one question is will Margo try something no one has in quite a while with Manny. Close, close, close, shoulder him to the ropes, lean on him, use elbows and just try to physically wear the little guy out?
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:05 pm

if diaz wins sat night he moves up on floyds real short list..his cherry picking list..bradley will be on the list alexander nope..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:08 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
My question is. How long has Margo been cheating? Can he really win without cheating? We really dont know. Was Margo ever really that good or was it the casts he had around his hands?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:09 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:

I agree with this. I think one question is will Margo try something no one has in quite a while with Manny. Close, close, close, shoulder him to the ropes, lean on him, use elbows and just try to physically wear the little guy out?
I think Manny is too quick for that. But hey I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:10 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
if diaz wins sat night he moves up on floyds real short list..his cherry picking list..bradley will be on the list alexander nope..
I wouldnt mind seeing Floyd vs Berto.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:16 pm

in the dressing room wraps are inspected or watched rather as there put on.several times in the past a fighter had to get his hands rewraped because the pattern it was done with is not exceptable and is an advantage..im thinking it was this one time and they got caught..

margo i think will do everything thats using his physical advantage including impossing his will on manny..body shots indeed will be part of the game plan..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:18 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
in the dressing room wraps are inspected or watched rather as there put on.several times in the past a fighter had to get his hands rewraped because the pattern it was done with is not exceptable and is an advantage..im thinking it was this one time and they got caught..

margo i think will do everything thats using his physical advantage including possing his will on manny..body shots indeed will be part of the game plan..
I think Margo will be beat to the punch so often around round 7 he will be done and ready to go. But hey I could be wrong. I hope not though I want Margo to be beat so bad that he just goes away.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:22 pm

margo will be beaton to the punch but he will punch back and hit the easy to hit manny also..4 rounds of a severe body attack slows pac down big time plus hes been hurt there in a few fights.again this is not a easy fight for either one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:24 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
margo will be beaton to the punch but he will punch back and hit the easy to hit manny also..4 rounds of a severe body attack slows pac down big time plus hes been hurt there in a few fights.again this is not a easy fight for either one.
I just hope that Margo takes a beating. BTW that workout is going great.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:37 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
dmar5143 wrote:
I just hope that Margo takes a beating. BTW that workout is going great.
I'm with you on this, Soonermark. Nobody really knows how good Margo is without bricks in his gloves. Also, he just took a life threatening beating from Sugar Shane Mosley. Joe Louis stated that, "A good big man beats a good little man." What we have here is an average big man against a great little guy. Margo will not be allowed to press Pac against the ropes because he'll be attacked in mid ring from every conceivable angle. Margo looked terrible in his last fight. I think those who think he has a chance are looking at the Cotto fight and forgetting that (a) The gloves were loaded (b) Pac is a better fighter than Cotto (c) As stated earlier, Margo took a great deal of punishment from Mosley.
I don't think Manny will have to wear him down. I think he explodes bombs off of Margos chin early and puts him out of his misery. Margo is no Jose Luis Ramirez. He has not shown a great ability to take a punch (See Mosley fight.). Manny is in a no win situation here, but that's ok. He's the most exciting fighter in the sport so it should be a lot of fun to watch.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:53 pm

sooner glad the work outs going good..frank cottos face against pac looked bad and pacs gloves were not loaded..we cant realy say margos gloves were loaded..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 1:57 pm

dmar5143 wrote:
sooner glad the work outs going good..frank cottos face against pac looked bad and pacs gloves were not loaded..we cant realy say margos gloves were loaded..
Yeah i am a little sore but its fun.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 6:07 pm

Wilbon called Floyd a coward.
Not that Wilbon knows anything, but calling Floyd a coward, he had a 50/50 shot to be right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 6:28 pm

captainanddew wrote:
Wilbon called Floyd a coward.
Not that Wilbon knows anything, but calling Floyd a coward, he had a 50/50 shot to be right.
Nice. For once Wilbon is right on.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 6:45 pm

BTW- is the maximum tax bracket not the same whether one makes $1million or $50 million ? What I am saying is the latest pathetic excuse (too much taxes withheld) appears to my eyes to be bullshit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 6:50 pm

Canvas wrote:
BTW- is the maximum tax bracket not the same whether one makes $1million or $50 million ? What I am saying is the latest pathetic excuse (too much taxes withheld) appears to my eyes to be bullshit.
What? When did he come up with that bullshit?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision   Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision Empty

Back to top Go down

Floyd's Decision = LBJ's Decision
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next