[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]
 
Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Who is the best boxer for each decade?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who is the best boxer for each decade?   Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:18 pm

marbleheadmaui wrote:
1890-1899-Probably Bob Fitzsimmons with a nod to Non-Pareil Jack Dempsey
1900-1909-Sam Langford or Joe Gans with a mention for Abe Attell, Jim Jeffires and the Barbados Demon. I'll take Langford
1910-1919-Maybe the hardest pick on the board. Benny Leonard ruled ad I mean RULED an astonishing era of lightweights. Then again Harry Grebe had both eyes and went 45-0 with six wins over HOFers...just in 1919! Jimmy Wilde is the best small man in history. Three of the top 10-12 in history. Greb is my pick.
1920-1929-It's possible to pick Greb or Leonard here as well. But I'll take Mickey Walker over Gene Tunney and Tony Canzoneri.
1930-1939-Picking between Joe Louis and Henry Armstrong is just immensely unfair. But I'll take Homicide Hank. Barney Ross gets a mention.
1940-1949-Mr Robinson over Willie Pep and Ezzard Charles. Mighta been different if Willie hadn't been in that plane crash.
1950-1959-He was no longer invincible, but in boxings first big downturn era anybody really want to pick Archie Moore, Joe Brown or the Rock over Robinson?
1960-1969-The obvious pick is Cassius Clay, but Eder Jofre, Ruben Olivares and Carlos Ortiz deserve a mention.
1970-1979-One could pick Ali here as well, but I'll go with Roberto Duran over him, Ray Leonard, Carlos Monzon, Alexis Arguello and Bob Foster.
1980-1989-A toughie. Michael Spinks, Marvin Hagler, Arguello, Julio Cesar Chavez or Larry Holmes? I'll take Chavez by a nose over Spinks
1990-1999-Sweet Pea by a mile. Ricardo Lopez gets a mention.
2000-2009-Manny by a mile.
Marble your back? Or have i just not had the pleasure of seeing you one here lately?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who is the best boxer for each decade?   Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
2000-2010 Bernard Hopkins !
WOW I didnt even think of him. I still think its Manny but there are so many great fighters its hard to pick.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad
Posts : 4040
Join date : 2010-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best boxer for each decade?   Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:24 am

soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
1890-1899-Probably Bob Fitzsimmons with a nod to Non-Pareil Jack Dempsey
1900-1909-Sam Langford or Joe Gans with a mention for Abe Attell, Jim Jeffires and the Barbados Demon. I'll take Langford
1910-1919-Maybe the hardest pick on the board. Benny Leonard ruled ad I mean RULED an astonishing era of lightweights. Then again Harry Grebe had both eyes and went 45-0 with six wins over HOFers...just in 1919! Jimmy Wilde is the best small man in history. Three of the top 10-12 in history. Greb is my pick.
1920-1929-It's possible to pick Greb or Leonard here as well. But I'll take Mickey Walker over Gene Tunney and Tony Canzoneri.
1930-1939-Picking between Joe Louis and Henry Armstrong is just immensely unfair. But I'll take Homicide Hank. Barney Ross gets a mention.
1940-1949-Mr Robinson over Willie Pep and Ezzard Charles. Mighta been different if Willie hadn't been in that plane crash.
1950-1959-He was no longer invincible, but in boxings first big downturn era anybody really want to pick Archie Moore, Joe Brown or the Rock over Robinson?
1960-1969-The obvious pick is Cassius Clay, but Eder Jofre, Ruben Olivares and Carlos Ortiz deserve a mention.
1970-1979-One could pick Ali here as well, but I'll go with Roberto Duran over him, Ray Leonard, Carlos Monzon, Alexis Arguello and Bob Foster.
1980-1989-A toughie. Michael Spinks, Marvin Hagler, Arguello, Julio Cesar Chavez or Larry Holmes? I'll take Chavez by a nose over Spinks
1990-1999-Sweet Pea by a mile. Ricardo Lopez gets a mention.
2000-2009-Manny by a mile.
Marble your back? Or have i just not had the pleasure of seeing you one here lately?

I'm back. Good to see you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who is the best boxer for each decade?   Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:38 am

80's Nigel Benn
90's Nigel Benn/Frank Bruno/Naseem Hamed
00's Joe Calzaghe
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac
Posts : 1619
Join date : 2010-05-12
Age : 75
Location : charlotte nc

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best boxer for each decade?   Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:00 am

lol ali i loved the humor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who is the best boxer for each decade?   Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:58 am

marbleheadmaui wrote:
soonermark890 wrote:
marbleheadmaui wrote:
1890-1899-Probably Bob Fitzsimmons with a nod to Non-Pareil Jack Dempsey
1900-1909-Sam Langford or Joe Gans with a mention for Abe Attell, Jim Jeffires and the Barbados Demon. I'll take Langford
1910-1919-Maybe the hardest pick on the board. Benny Leonard ruled ad I mean RULED an astonishing era of lightweights. Then again Harry Grebe had both eyes and went 45-0 with six wins over HOFers...just in 1919! Jimmy Wilde is the best small man in history. Three of the top 10-12 in history. Greb is my pick.
1920-1929-It's possible to pick Greb or Leonard here as well. But I'll take Mickey Walker over Gene Tunney and Tony Canzoneri.
1930-1939-Picking between Joe Louis and Henry Armstrong is just immensely unfair. But I'll take Homicide Hank. Barney Ross gets a mention.
1940-1949-Mr Robinson over Willie Pep and Ezzard Charles. Mighta been different if Willie hadn't been in that plane crash.
1950-1959-He was no longer invincible, but in boxings first big downturn era anybody really want to pick Archie Moore, Joe Brown or the Rock over Robinson?
1960-1969-The obvious pick is Cassius Clay, but Eder Jofre, Ruben Olivares and Carlos Ortiz deserve a mention.
1970-1979-One could pick Ali here as well, but I'll go with Roberto Duran over him, Ray Leonard, Carlos Monzon, Alexis Arguello and Bob Foster.
1980-1989-A toughie. Michael Spinks, Marvin Hagler, Arguello, Julio Cesar Chavez or Larry Holmes? I'll take Chavez by a nose over Spinks
1990-1999-Sweet Pea by a mile. Ricardo Lopez gets a mention.
2000-2009-Manny by a mile.
Marble your back? Or have i just not had the pleasure of seeing you one here lately?

I'm back. Good to see you.
I am glad you are back I hope everything is ok. We were concerned around here.
Back to top Go down
dodgers fan 55
Newbie


Posts : 3
Join date : 2013-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best boxer for each decade?   Fri May 24, 2013 2:35 pm

1940's sugar ray robinson
1950's Rocky Marciano
1960's Cassius Clay
1970's Muhammad Ali "the greatest of all time.
1980's Larry Holmes
1990's Roy Jones Jr
2000's were pretty wack because who should have been here is at pick and choose champion Floyd Mayweather or Bernard Hopkins the executioner who I woudnt vote for because was at prison rapist hence the name hence the nick name but I'll go with Manny PACQUIAO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OU
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman
Posts : 43455
Join date : 2009-07-15
Age : 32
Location : Lawton, Oklahoma

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best boxer for each decade?   Fri May 24, 2013 2:52 pm

dodgers fan 55 wrote:
1940's sugar ray robinson
1950's Rocky Marciano
1960's Cassius Clay
1970's Muhammad Ali "the greatest of all time.
1980's Larry Holmes
1990's Roy Jones Jr
2000's were pretty wack because who should have been here is at pick and choose champion Floyd Mayweather or Bernard Hopkins the executioner who I woudnt vote for because was at prison rapist hence the name hence the nick name but I'll go with Manny PACQUIAO

Sup noob? What brings you round here?

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dodgers fan 55
Newbie


Posts : 3
Join date : 2013-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best boxer for each decade?   Fri May 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Noob?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt


Posts : 2901
Join date : 2013-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best boxer for each decade?   Fri May 24, 2013 9:57 pm

dodgers fan 55 wrote:
Noob?

It just means new.

Welcome to the forum Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis
Posts : 3139
Join date : 2009-07-15
Age : 31
Location : Austin

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best boxer for each decade?   Fri May 24, 2013 10:23 pm

OU wrote:
dodgers fan 55 wrote:
1940's sugar ray robinson
1950's Rocky Marciano
1960's Cassius Clay
1970's Muhammad Ali "the greatest of all time.
1980's Larry Holmes
1990's Roy Jones Jr
2000's were pretty wack because who should have been here is at pick and choose champion Floyd Mayweather or Bernard Hopkins the executioner who I woudnt vote for because was at prison rapist hence the name hence the nick name but I'll go with Manny PACQUIAO

Sup noob? What brings you round here?

lol..

and he never posts again

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dodgers fan 55
Newbie


Posts : 3
Join date : 2013-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Who is the best boxer for each decade?   Sun May 26, 2013 2:07 am

I just found the site looking up top boxers in each decade. But I've had my share of combat. I've wrestled in school and boxed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Who is the best boxer for each decade?   

Back to top Go down
 
Who is the best boxer for each decade?
Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Boxer SLE 15m for sale
» charley's bangkok boxer-rebellion gym
» best joke of the decade:
» 2010 Farmington "Mike Lee" Holiday Basketball Bash
» Stawell 1600m Frontmarkers HANDICAPS

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ninja's Place :: Fight Discussion :: Boxing-
Jump to: