Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight

Go down 
+3
dmar5143
victor879
captainanddew
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight Empty
PostSubject: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 9:40 am

Reliable sources have advised BoxingScene.com that former middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik is seriously considering the possibility of staying at 160-pounds. I've heard Pavlik and his team have discussed the possible direction of remaining in the middleweight division.

Back in May, Pavlik waived his option for an immediate rematch with Sergio Martinez. Pavlik's manager, Cameron Dunkin, announced his fighter's decision to move up to super middleweight.Pavlik lost a unanimous decision, and his middleweight titles, to Martinez on April 17 in Atlantic City. Pavlik's had a real struggle making the weight. Reportedly he lost 13-pounds in two days to make the middleweight limit.

Despite the constant struggles, there is one key factor - he still made the weight. Not only did he make the weight for all of his fights, but he made it without a nutritional expert and/or a first class physical conditioning trainer in his camp. I've heard members of his team are considering the option of adding a physical conditioning expert to evaluate if Pavlik is physically capable of making the middleweight limit safely.

The road at super middleweight is not paved with roses. HBO is interested in making a fight between Pavlik and undefeated IBF champion Lucian Bute. The style of Bute is going to present Pavlik with a lot of trouble.

Besides a potential fight with Bute, HBO has no interest in lackluster matches. To get back on the network, Pavlik will have to take a very risky fight. One name I've heard mentioned, that HBO would approve, is Librado Andrade. It's no picnic to fight Andrade. Unless Pavlik is able to hurt or get Andrade's respect in the early rounds, it's going to be a very long night.

If Pavlik is capable of remaining at middleweight, there are several options, which includes a rematch with Sergio Martinez, or potential fights with Paul Williams, Anthony Mundine or even Felix Sturm.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=29041
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 10:37 am

I think Pavlik is going to be in trouble in either division. I think because he gets beaten by alot of the top guys at 168 and he will struggle mightily to make 160.
Back to top Go down
victor879
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 10:53 am

Pavlik needs to work on that footwork and try to get more lateral movement in his style. Otherwise he will continue to have problems.

It was far too easy for Sergio to turn him and get those nice angles. Any top boxer will exploit that.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 10:54 am

Pavlik won't get any better as he continues to work with Jack Loew. Loew's idea of in between round instruction, jab, double jab.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 10:59 am

pavik at 168 will get beat by at least 4 top guys..at middle look it shows the incompetence of kellys trainer or handlers..this is a modern age with several nutrition experts yet none were in his camp..ditto a conditioning expert where lol there just considering it..kelly needs both plus a very competent trainer if he goes to 160..since there heming and hawing over a condition guy non of these needed things will be a reality therefore kellys career has peaked...a shame for hes a good kid..
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 1:59 pm

victor879 wrote:
Pavlik needs to work on that footwork and try to get more lateral movement in his style. Otherwise he will continue to have problems.

It was far too easy for Sergio to turn him and get those nice angles. Any top boxer will exploit that.

just like hopkins did
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Jack Loew is a horrible trainer during a fight. When you watch the fight you can make drinking games with his instruction as there is only a couple of things he ever says. It is really pathetic for a world class fighter to have that in the corner.

I don't believe Loew has done a good job with Pavlik during camps. Pavlik is fine if he has a guy who can't move and give angles. As soon as that happens, he is done. His feet are slow and he never has been taught or prepared to deal with speed.
Back to top Go down
victor879
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
victor879 wrote:

just like hopkins did

Yep. Hopkins took Kelly to boxing school that night.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 5:50 pm

Who would you guys take? Winky vs Pavlik at 160 this year
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Pavlik because Winky has been inactive for so long. 2 fights in 3 years-both losses, BHOP and PW.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 6:31 pm

This seems dumb on Pavlik's part unless he can still get the Martinez rematch. Either way it doesn't matter too much. His buzz is gone and his star has faded. Even if he wins his belt back he won't be able to maintain at MW for a reign. And if he goes to 168, there are a lot of guys who are more skilled than him and used to the weight. He won't be able to use his size. His best bet is to cash out on his name and fight Martinez or Bute.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 6:38 pm

His team made a major mistake not getting him a real trainer years ago. He'd still have issues against the best, but at least he would have maximized his potential.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 1:13 pm

The only thing Kelly has going for him right now is power. Unless it's my imagination, he loses power when rising in weight. I think his management should match him up against fighters who will stand in front of him. Pavlik cannot fight good boxers. There will never be any surprises with Pavlik. He has a basic fundamental style that's easy for a counterpuncher to figure out. I don't even think he could beat Felix Strom. However, match him against another "Stand and fight" fighter and he'll give the people a good time. I'd start his comeback right in Youngstown, Ohio.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 2:11 pm

He does have a basic style. He would always have trouble with guys who have good feet and quick hands. But it is a travesty that his team has not gotten him a new trainer. As a promoter, how can you sit there and let a fighter work with someone who is obviously incompetent. And in the Martinez fight, what was the cutman doing??

Pavlik was always going to have limitations, but his team has really let him down.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 4:39 pm

If Kelly hired a top class trainer and a good conditioning coach like Alex Ariza how much of a difference would it make ?
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Idk, def would help, but still think he should move up

Nothing left at 160
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 5:05 pm

Yeah Middleweight doesn't have alot of great fight for Pavlik, the Paul Williams fight would be the only one that tickled my fancy. At Super Middleweight Kelly might be stronger without having to cut so much weight.
Back to top Go down
boxinglawyer
White Belt
White Belt

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 6:50 pm

I think the people who write Kelly off at 160 because of the Martinez fight are forgetting that Pavlik was WINNING the fight and seemed on the verge of scoring a KO or TKO before the cut. Without the cut, I think we would all be singing a different tune about him. Is Kelly limited? Sure, who isnt. Is he one-dimensional? Yep. So what. History's pantheon of all-time greats has several one-dimensional fighters in it. I dont think Kelley is done yet myself. I DO agree that Jack Loewe is as terrible a trainer as has ever worked a championship corner (move over Aaron Snowell and Jay Bright).
Pavlik is still very viable as a fighter and is only ONE well-matched title bout from being right back at the top of the sport. I think him and Andrade is a good match. Pavlik gets a guy that does not want to move and retreat and the fans get to see if the Pavlik power is effective at 168. Probably in the first 30 seconds too. I think Pavlik needs a little work on cutting off the ring and on breaking up a counter-punchers rythm (the double jab is ONE of 20 ways to do that lol) and his power makes him competitive with just about anyone. I dont think it is beyong the realm of belief that he would beat Martinez in a re-match either........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 8:28 pm

boxinglawyer wrote:
I think the people who write Kelly off at 160 because of the Martinez fight are forgetting that Pavlik was WINNING the fight and seemed on the verge of scoring a KO or TKO before the cut. Without the cut, I think we would all be singing a different tune about him. Is Kelly limited? Sure, who isnt. Is he one-dimensional? Yep. So what. History's pantheon of all-time greats has several one-dimensional fighters in it. I dont think Kelley is done yet myself. I DO agree that Jack Loewe is as terrible a trainer as has ever worked a championship corner (move over Aaron Snowell and Jay Bright).
Pavlik is still very viable as a fighter and is only ONE well-matched title bout from being right back at the top of the sport. I think him and Andrade is a good match. Pavlik gets a guy that does not want to move and retreat and the fans get to see if the Pavlik power is effective at 168. Probably in the first 30 seconds too. I think Pavlik needs a little work on cutting off the ring and on breaking up a counter-punchers rythm (the double jab is ONE of 20 ways to do that lol) and his power makes him competitive with just about anyone. I dont think it is beyong the realm of belief that he would beat Martinez in a re-match either........

He might win a rematch, but they said he came in the ring at 178. I don't see how he could maintain at MW. He must be killing himself to get there. And he'll have to prove that he's a top 10 guy at 168, which I personally think is debatable.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 9:07 pm

I too referenced the horrible cutman in a previous post in this thread. A decent cutman and the fight may have turned out different.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight   Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight Empty

Back to top Go down

Kelly Pavlik considering staying at Middleweight
Page 1 of 1