Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards

Go down 
+3
captainanddew
NBrooks5
gomez1012
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards Empty
PostSubject: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 7:10 pm

Celestino Caballero made his debut at the featherweight division in April with an emphatic and unforgettable 12-round pummeling of the previously unbeaten Daud Yordan. The performance was so unforgettable, in fact, that it hasn’t escaped the memory of any of the champions from super bantamweight to junior lightweight, who are using their best footwork to stay as far away as possible from “Pellenchin.”

Caballero (34-2, 23 KOs) is riding of boxing’s most torrid hot streaks. Unbeaten since 2004, in that six year span Caballero won two belts at super bantamweight and beaten name fighters such as Yordan, Mauricio Pastrana, Steve Molitor, Somsak Sithchatchawal, and Daniel Ponce de Leon.

In recent weeks, rumored bouts against featherweight champions Yuriorkis Gamboa, Juan Manuel Lopez, and Elio Rojas haven’t come to fruition because of the reluctance of the champions to make a deal. Overtures made to the camp of WBA junior lightweight champion Jorge Solis were also rebuffed.

The unwillingness of other top fighters to get in the ring with him has left Caballero waiting for an opportunity he has long deserved.

“Great champions are willing to fight great champions. I should not be victimized by the politics of boxing or the cowardice of other fighters.”

It was reported by several sources that HBO, which aired Caballero’s win over Yordan, preferred a Gamboa-Caballero fight above all other potential opponents for the WBA 126 lb. champ. Gamboa’s promoter, Bob Arum, quickly nixed the proposition, asserting that Caballero’s camp had priced their fighter out. This claim was made before serious discussions with Caballero’s promoter, Lou DiBella, had ever begun.

Now Caballero sits on the sideline, while the networks give out dates to fighters who simply aren’t willing to fight the best opposition.

“We never priced ourselves out of a Gamboa fight,” said DiBella. “In fact, in our preliminary discussions I asked for the same amount of money that I’m hearing Arum is offering to other fighters. There is a big difference between Celestino Caballero, a pound for pound fighter, and Elio Rojas.”

That difference probably explains why Caballero is still on the hunt for a big fight. And so, Caballero ponders, “Why should I have problems feeding my family because I’m too good?”

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=28878
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 7:30 pm

Gotta feel for a fighter like him

We need to see PELENCHIN back in the ring ASAP!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 7:32 pm

The weird thing is I don't even think he's that great a fighter, I could see both Gamboa and JaunMa beating him. But they obviously don't like the challenge of his long lanky frame and infinite stamina.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 7:34 pm

He's solid man

Been taking names in every division he's been in

Your right though, Lopez and Gamboa would be favored against him, but too damn chicken to even take the challenge
Back to top Go down
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny, JMM, Casamayor and Katsidis

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 7:37 pm

Caballero better not take the Paul Williams route and wait for a big fight.

He needs to stay active until these guys have no choice but to fight him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 7:38 pm

I am not saying he's average or anything, I just don't see why Gamboa and JuanMa should avoid him, Caballero is very beatable.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 7:39 pm

I don't think they are too chicken to take the challenge. I think they are too chicken to take the challenge for the same amount of money(similar amount) that they would get paid to face a lesser fighter.
Back to top Go down
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Same difference.
Back to top Go down
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 7:43 pm

How much does JuanMa's stock really drop if he loses to Caballero?

Not enough so he couldn't still get the Gamboa fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 7:47 pm

The Roger Mtagawa fight probably has alot to do with Bob keeping Juan away from tough challenges, sure he's facing Marquez in September but he's well past his sell by date.
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 8:27 pm

It would depend on how the loss occurred (if it did) versus Gumby. Sorry, but Caballero looks like Gumby to me.

Lopez gets paid well every fight. If a fight with caballero doesn't generate a significant increase over and above what he would get to fight someone else, then Arum won't put him anywhere near Gumby.

Arum is running the show and I don't believe he wants anything to get in the way of a Lopez vs. Gamboa fight. He wants both guys undefeated and the fight as big as possible.
Back to top Go down
kbyte
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
kbyte

Favorite Fighter(s) : Oscar De la Hoya, Ricky Hatton

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 8:31 pm

lol I love how he tells it like it is.
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:08 am

Its hard to beat guys who are very tall for their division and fight with heart and will like Cabs. We may think Gamboa and Lopez are better, but Cabs is very dangerous and isnt worth it because hes too much of a risk. I feel bad for the guy and its soooo obvious Arum is protecting his fighters.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:25 am

its a travesty these pussies wont fight him
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 11:40 am

Arum is protecting his boys.
Gamboa will have another fight this fall.
Lopez faces Marquez

As long as both win they keep making money and a fight between the 2 guys gets bigger. That is what Arum thinks.

What is Gamboa doing to improve his box office power? Yes he punches with power, but he has faced decent but far from great competition. And he is rather inactive. with the level of competition he has been facing, Arum should have had him mowing down a different guy every 3 months like clockwork.

Lopez had been building towards superstardom with his wins, but we saw what happened in the fight with Mtagwa. Lopez has 28 wins, 25 by KO. 2 of the wins by decision were in his first 12 fights. Since the level of competition stepped up he had been knocking out good fighters. When finally a fighter was able to stand up to what Lopez dished out, Lopez almost got knocked out late.

Arum is hoping for a win over Marquez. Then in the court of general public opinion, Lopez's name will rise. Then he can showcase both guys on the same card and set up a big money showdown.

For Caballero to face either of Arum's boys, there would have to be a purse bigger than what Arum envisions for Lopez vs. Gamboa. Since we know that is never going to happen, Caballero vs Gamboa or Lopez is never going to happen.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 12:47 pm

agree on all the posts here.cbalerro is a good match for thoses fighters but he will be the underdog...dibella ill believe over arum anyday.there not pricing themselves out of a fight arums just saying no...this is an example that i feel a fighter not a promoter should control his destiny when they reach a top status..make that fight they should say and no excuses...at least caballeros saying that and yes risking a beating..good for him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 7:06 pm

“Great champions are willing to fight great champions. I should not be victimized by the politics of boxing or the cowardice of other fighters.”

That's the quote of the year.

Caballero reminds me of a flamingo or a stork, not sure which one yet. He's not getting any younger though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards   Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards Empty

Back to top Go down

Celestino Caballero: I am being victimized by cowards
Page 1 of 1