Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen

Go down 
+4
NBrooks5
dmar5143
bobbitt15
Birdofthad
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen Empty
PostSubject: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:02 pm

In your lifetime!!

Mine is Pernell Whitaker, glad to say i was a young tyke at the Chavez fight, funny how silent the palce was, was young and didnt know what was really going on but I knew the place that was packed with hispanics were quiet as it gets for that fight, loudest it got was when the little kid singing national anthem said Go Chavez!!!!!!!!!!

it was silent the rest of the way

Pernell was a mind boggling fighter and i love to watch his clinics
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:14 pm

Mine is Roy. Maybe it's because I was younger, but I was in awe of him. He just looked different on the screen than anyone else: faster, stronger, flashier...better.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:18 pm

good one Gumby he sure was special, I remember when he damn near killed Virgil Hill with that body shot I was like oh my god

how good was Roy?

when he clowned Clinton Woods, it was obvious Roy wasnt his prime self, in a fight he may have lost a round in
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:36 pm

Thus far Pac-Man. I'll never forget that fight against Ledwaba. Had no idea who Manny was at the time and the HBO crew was hyping the shit out of Ledwaba talking about how good he was and it turned into just an all-out straight forward massacre
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:38 pm

im a lot older and have seen many impressive fighters threw the years..there are 3 that stand out well above the rest of the impressive ones..sugar ray robinson..no explanation needed at all.willie pep and marciano....bird this is a great topic cause the years and generations of our posters very but the list will be awsome..sweet pea indeed is amoung the many i say was impressive indeed....years ago i asked my dad a similar question on fighters he saw fight live..he gave 7 fighters.the three on my list and harry greb joe louis jack dempsey benny leanord....he added tunney was dam good but i cant say him cause i only saw him fight once.his last fight...
Back to top Go down
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny, JMM, Casamayor and Katsidis

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:53 pm

I think Ricardo Lopez is the most impressive I've seen by a talent standpoint.

He just didn't have anyone to challenge him.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:54 pm

I was talking about this with a friend today. I've looked at a great deal of films starring all the ATGs. Ray Robinson was greater than great. However, I've never seen anything like a young Ali. From 1964 - 67, he's got my vote. Also, the 1974 bout with Foreman was amazing. My opinion.
I think his hardest fight for him would've been against Marciano, another incredible fighter.Rocky was a master at cutting the ring off and this might've been effective even against a young Ali. Nevertheless, Ali has my vote for the GOAT. (Two exceptions. I haven't seen as much of Willie Pep as I'd like. Also, there's limited footage on Charlie Burley.)
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:58 pm

frank nice post..unfortunetly as jake lamotta said there litterly isnt any films of robinson in his true prime..how scary is that.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 10:11 pm

there really isnt all Robinson footage is of a 30 + Robinson isnt that nuts
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 10:48 pm

bobbitt15 wrote:
Thus far Pac-Man. I'll never forget that fight against Ledwaba. Had no idea who Manny was at the time and the HBO crew was hyping the shit out of Ledwaba talking about how good he was and it turned into just an all-out straight forward massacre
You just took my entire answer out of my mouth. +1
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 10:59 pm

That is a tough one. Ask me on 5 different occasions and I'll probably give you a different answer each time.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 11:01 pm

canvas then give us all 5...
Back to top Go down
Diego408
Green Belt
Green Belt
Diego408

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Marquez Brothers, Robert Guerrero, Abner Mares, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Devon Alexander, Jose Benavidez Jr and Nick Diaz

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 12:50 am

Allen Green
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 8:29 am

dmar5143 wrote:
frank nice post..unfortunetly as jake lamotta said there litterly isnt any films of robinson in his true prime..how scary is that.
Very Scary. It's not the first time I thought about that either. If I saw them, I'd probably change my mind. Films of Burley are impossible to find and Pep's are out there but it's a journey to get them. Also, I'll admit that Manny Pacquiao is amazing. When his career concludes, I wouldn't be surprised if I thought he was the GOAT. Just my opinion/ Ali's whole life is on film, including his fights, so it's easier to make an argument for him. Dmar, to tell you the truth, comparing these guys are like apples and oranges. It depends on who I see last and in what fight. A lot of people say Greb is the best they ever saw. Some people even say Johnson. Who knows? There's a certain level these guys reach and then it's just a matter of what fight you see. For example, if you saw Robinson vs. LaMotta (Robinson beating Jake for the MW crown) and then saw Ali vs. Al Blue Lewis, you'd think someone was crazy for even comparing Ali to Robinson. Ali looked bad that day. Truth be told, I have about 30 fighters that, on their best day, look like the best ever. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 8:51 am

The other guy who impresses me is...Floyd.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 9:07 am

Gumby wrote:
The other guy who impresses me is...Floyd.
Floyd Patterson.? Twisted Evil Just kidding. Gumby, something tells me that our agreement over Jose B. is going to have us arguing on the same side a lot in the future. Might as well get to know each other on here. LOL
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 9:20 am

frank no doubt every great fighter had a few fights where they looked bad.ali had several outside of alvan blue lewis.and i agree many a fighter on a given day looks as great as anyone...the issue isnt who the greatest but in your lifetime whos either the most impressive fighter you ever saw or what fighters inpressed you the most..these are fighters that either you saw fight live in person or live on tv..this excludes films or clips on youtube...thats why i think the variety here in this anser will be excellent and interesting.thats because of all differnt age groups.

i cant say greb cause i didnt see him live nor armstrong..robinson i can say cause i saw him in person and live on tv.ditto pep...marciano live also via tv or closed circuit...i can add basilio ali foreman lyle jimmy young ray leanord archie moore giardello bakus emile grifith benvinuetti and tons of others seen live in person...sooner bird and yourself of course have seen a good selection of todays fighters in person....so many fighters over the years have impressed me a lot and for several fights.pac and hagler sweet pea are just 3 examples...in my thoughts the most impressive a person ever saw may not mean the greatest you ever saw...for disgussion sake even the films of robinson for example all at age 30 plus and none in his true prime still has YES a huge edge over ali...robinson litterly had no weakness ali had a few...robinson did everything better than ali.and i mean everything.power combo punching hand speed with snap ring intelligence boxing abilty use of distance infighting fighting off the ropes footwork and i mean usefull footwork not running etc etc...ali did the greatest job of promoting himself with i am the greatest stuff and mass media PR with many young and unknowledgeable sports writers going along almost as shills...a all time great one indeed..a top tenor indeed.theres nothing ali did that robinson could not do better and even at the age of 40 robinson did more things better than ali did at anytime during alis career.....all one has to do is view the last entire fight with gene fullmer a great middle to see robinson win clearly 9 rounds and fullmer got a gift with a draw preventing ray from winning his 6th middle title...he was that great..
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 9:47 am

Good point, dmar, but films don't lie. The greatest fighter I ever saw in his prime personally was Sugar Ray Leonard.
Back to top Go down
boxinglawyer
White Belt
White Belt

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Ricardo Lopez is the most complete fighter I have ever seen. Too small to get mainstream attenttion though.

Marvelous Marvin Hagler is the best I have followed from career infancy to retirement. People really forget just HOW good and HOW dominate he was for HOW long. He was special.

Evander Holyfield is as impressive a fighter as I have seen. Completley fearless and competitive with any heavy who ever lived, but he does not really belong on the "most impressive" list for my lifetime. I would have to go with the previous two I mentioned and add in Sugar Ray Leonard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 8:48 pm

I am impressed each time Calderon fights, the guy is shorter than Joe Pesci with almost no power and has managed to dominate two divisions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen   Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen Empty

Back to top Go down

Who is the Most Impressive Fighter You Have Ever Seen
Page 1 of 1