Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.

Go down 
+2
acccardinal12
Wolfgangsta
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.  Empty
PostSubject: Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.    Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.  EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 2:13 pm

It's almost a good thing he hurt his ribs, because we've seen what happens to fighters that rely on speed and explosiveness fighting with bum knees. Shogun for example.

Quote :
"I am here to talk about my last few days. I went through a very tense and difficult weekend and had a very hard decision. Two weeks ago I felt pain in my knee while I was training wrestling. I had an MRI of my knee and three doctors told me my knee was torn. I took medicine to help with the pain, and although my knee felt loose, I said "no," this date is very important to me and I continued training.

I tried training more upper body and boxing; I kept losing weight and I was gonna fight no matter what. Last Friday, during sparring, I injured my rib. It was very painful and the next day I had an x-ray and an MRI. I discovered I had three broken ribs.

"After years of fighting, my body made me stop this time. I am here to tell you that I cannot fight on this card. I am very sad because I trained for four months. This is a very difficult time for me. Now, I know that I need to have surgery on my knee. I have no option... I am going to work hard to return. I know my God is with me and He is going to bless me one more time. I am praying a lot and I know that God is going to bless the surgeon. I am going to be 100% and will fight many more years."

...This is a very, very, very hard moment for me. This is my livelihood, my job and I already put in a lot of time and effort into this fight. This was a fight I really, really desired... You cannot imagine how much I wanted to fight on this card. I am not the kind of fighter who fights just for the money and I will prove to you now - I could have entered the Octagon, received one punch, and said "that's it, I have broken ribs." But I fight to give you a big show. When I fight I always give 100% and I fight to show everybody real MMA and to help the sport grow and to excite my fans.

"I apologize to all my fans. I ask for your prayers for a successful surgery and healthy body. I will be back in shape to fight again and to give you more excitement. A big hug for all of you and be with God."
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.    Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.  EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 2:24 pm

Good thing is he will have time to heal now in every way.
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.    Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.  EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 2:30 pm

fuck thought it was just a cracked rib now he needs knee surgery. Hope he comes back 100% and not 30% like shogun did. How can you not like the guy I wish him the best.
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.    Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.  EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 3:42 pm

A true warrior! Take all the time you need Wand, when you come back we'll be cheering louder then ever!
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.    Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.  EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:16 pm

I havent been on in a while so Wandy is out are they replacing him??
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.    Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.  EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:23 pm

the crippler
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.    Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.  EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:46 pm

Damn thats very short notice!
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.    Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.  EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:07 pm

That still the comain?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.    Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.  EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:58 pm

Wandy said he will be able to fight again in 6 or 7 months. Do we still see Wandy-Akiyama after all this is done anyway?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.    Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.  EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 10:00 pm

unless Akiyama loses badly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.    Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.  EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 8:44 am

bobbitt15 wrote:
Wandy said he will be able to fight again in 6 or 7 months. Do we still see Wandy-Akiyama after all this is done anyway?

I hope so but it looks unlikely now, not unless Akiyama is shelved.

Wandi is a warrior.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.    Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Wanderlei was planning on fighting on a blown knee.
Page 1 of 1