Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SF MW Tournament

Go down 
+5
Birdofthad
Farmer1906
captain organic
LA
oggy420
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 7:12 pm

"On the likelihood of Shields continuing with Strikeforce, Coker said, "If you were to ask me today, I think we'll be throwing a tournament. That's my personal opinion."

Coker told MMAjunkie.com he is considering eight fighters for a potential tournament to begin at an event planned for Aug. 21: Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, Robbie Lawler, Tim Kennedy, Dan Henderson, Nick Diaz and "Mayhem" Miller. Additionally, the winner of a June 26 bout between Scott Smith and Cung Le is under consideration for a tourney spot, as is the winner of an upcoming World Victory Road/Sengoku bout between Kazuo Misaki and champ Jorge Santiago.

The tournament would take place over two events, the Strikeforce CEO said. Houston is targeted for the first event, though the promotion has not confirmed a city or venue."

Nick Diaz
Dan Henderson
Jacare Souza
Robbie Lawler
Mayhem Miller
Tim Kennedy
Winner of Smith vs Le 2
Winner of Santiago vs Misaki

Now that is a sick ass tournament
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 7:14 pm

So he basically thinks Sheilds is gone

Nice tourney
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Tourney's are sweet, and this one is like a puppy dog barber shop quartet. While Im sure Coker would have liked to have sent Shields out with an L, this is making the best of the situation, imo, actually better then having seen Shields lose, cause now we have a tourney.

cool that Nick got in there. SF is def not afraid to let fighters work at different weight classes. Getting the sengoukou guys in is sweet too.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Very sick!

They're starting it in Houston. I really hope Lawler gets paired up with Hendo in R1 or R2, but avoids Diaz & Jarcare til later if any of them make it deep.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 9:51 pm

Lawler would be out immediately if he fought Hendo
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 9:54 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Lawler would be out immediately if he fought Hendo

Hendo is just a striker now and Lawler is a brawler. They both have power, but Hendo still has the chin & Lawler has the speed. That has all the makings of an epic fight.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:00 pm

He have a future sig bet Farm
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:02 pm

great news sounds like it will be a great tourney
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:08 pm

Babalu said he won't fight Lawal...and nobody really wants to see Babalu in that fight anyway...but i would like to see him in the tournament

Dan Henderson vs. Renato Sobral

Ronaldo Souza vs. Tim Kennedy

Nick Diaz vs. Jason Miller

Cung Le/Scott Smith vs. Jorge Santiago/Kazuo Misaki

As for Jake, i would be stunned if he ends up staying with Strikeforce. Coker pretty much said they arent even on the same side of the book with talking salary...looks like Coker took a lesson from Dana with the Henderson signing.

Excellent fighter but Jake will never make back what you would give him. Jake's dad seems to think Jake was a great draw for Strikeforce when the two cards he headlined are pretty much considered the two biggest ratings disasters to date for SF. The guy has fought on 4-5 CBS cards for millions and most people outside of fans like us, still don't know about him or if they do, don't care about him. I care about Jake and can't wait to see him tested in the UFC WW division but letting him walk is the best move by Strikeforce....if there is one division they are deep enough where they can cover the tracks of a vacating champ...it's MW
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:19 pm

why do people want to see Shields at Welter when he has been impressive as shit at Middle

I jsut dont get it
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 10:20 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
He have a future sig bet Farm

I'd still pick Hendo (I think) but I just think that'd be a hell of a fight.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 11:01 pm

Because the UFC already has enough MW's with great wrestling or jj games that would lose kickboxing bouts with a heavy bag, bird.

The Sengoku thing may be a sign the alliance with Dream has ended. They said when the first forged that alliance that Dream would be their exclusive Japanese talent sharing partner.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 11:32 pm

Well, they can also sign those guys because if they don't have fight contracts in the U.S..they are fair game for Strikeforce, Bellator or any fight league who does not care if their talent fights overseas every now and then.

If i were Strikeforce, i would raid Sengoku's FW division before their WVR contracts run out and Zuffa will be interested in signing them and they can finally get started on a FW division.

Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:37 am

Birdofthad wrote:
why do people want to see Shields at Welter when he has been impressive as shit at Middle

I jsut dont get it

Because the common thought is that he only moved up to 185 to find some competition. And because his wrestling would be that much more effective at the lower weight. I mean, he prob gets housed either way, but just maybe he could hang in there with GSP, he ain't hanging at all with Silva.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 11:35 am

He has a better chance to beat Anderson Silva than GSP. Silva is vulnerable to wrestlers and hasn't fought a real wrestler outside of Henderson his whole UFC career. GSP has the best wrestling at 170 and significantly better striking, so matchup wise Silva is a better bet.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 11:54 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
He has a better chance to beat Anderson Silva than GSP. Silva is vulnerable to wrestlers and hasn't fought a real wrestler outside of Henderson his whole UFC career. GSP has the best wrestling at 170 and significantly better striking, so matchup wise Silva is a better bet.

I see it the other way, in that GSP is less likely to expose Shields lack of striking. Of coarse his striking is much better then Shields, but GSP is almost a pure ground fighter of late, would that change vs Shields? It might, not much to worry about standing.

I guess you could say GSP is less likely then Silva to be put on his back by Shields, but silva has been put on his back b4, and then quickly finds a way to finish the fight.

I think size plays big into the discussion. Hard to think Shields wrestling wouldn't play better at 170 then at 185.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:02 pm

Scratch Diaz from that list...

He's accepted blame for the brawl and will be suspended. The only way he becomes part of the tourney is if he gets a first round bye, or if SF moves the start date back...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19656/strikeforce-welterweight-champion-nick-diazs-camp-the-checks-in-the-mail.mma
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:03 pm

But against GSP who has unbeatable wrestling?

Jake would put Anderson on his back and unlike Chael, isn't going to fall into some lazy submission as Chael is at risk of doing. Jake could conceivably beat the arguable best p4p fighter with a very 2000 skillset.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:12 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:

He's accepted blame for the brawl and will be suspended. The only way he becomes part of the tourney is if he gets a first round bye, or if SF moves the start date back...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19656/strikeforce-welterweight-champion-nick-diazs-camp-the-checks-in-the-mail.mma

Well if Diaz is off the list i guess Mayhem is too...
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:16 pm

oggy420 wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:

No one else has come forward to accept any punishment. The key players were/are at risk of a 9 month suspension... Diaz basically plea bargained. At the speed the investigation is moving, they could get the tournament in before anyone else takes their punishment.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:17 pm

It said it was later confirmed that Shields, Miller, and Nate Diaz also received suspensions.
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:21 pm

oggy420 wrote:
LikesToFightGuy wrote:

Can they run this tournament without Mayhem? Not to mention Diaz, that was 2 major cog's. Big oversight on all our parts, especially you Coker.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:24 pm

??? I saw where it said others had sent in some sort of paperwork, but no mention of others receiving suspensions. Where'd you find that Oggy?
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:25 pm

i think if he's smart he'd postpone the tournament until the guys we actually want to see fight are back
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:27 pm

well it said they were the one's who were recommended for punishment
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SF MW Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Re: SF MW Tournament   SF MW Tournament Empty

Back to top Go down

SF MW Tournament
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next