Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

World Cup wrap up so far...

Go down 
+4
GDPofDRC
Birdofthad
OU
LTFG
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

World Cup wrap up so far... Empty
PostSubject: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 4:59 pm

1.6 total goals per match despite Germany's four goal explosion... No wonder most American's use this time for a nap.
The US is thrilled about a tie depite one of the luckiest goals in history... They will be embarrassed soon enough.
The world's most annoying noise coming from the stands... No sane person can watch without a mute button.
Fake injuries abound... Take a lesson from Rich Franklin and Pat Barry you pussies.
No wonder they only do it every 4 years... I almost fell asleep typing this.
At least there's been no riots... Yet.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 5:03 pm

So is this your anti-World Cup thread?
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Kind of... Bored beyond belief today, and am most certainly not a soccer fan beyond when I or my kids played up until the age of 9. It is beyond painful to watch and is only valuable to 5-10 150 lb. guys that aren't good enough to play real sports. Not really trying to start anything since I see there are a couple of apparent fans, but I know most would tend to agree with me. All of my thoughts were on point though, don't you think?

Last edited by LikesToFightGuy on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorry, hit the 8 instead of the 5 on the 10 key... We all know soccer players don't get near 180.)
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 5:14 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Kind of... Bored beyond belief today, and am most certainly not a soccer fan beyond when I or my kids played up until the age of 9. It is beyond painful to watch and is only valuable to 5-10 150 lb. guys that aren't good enough to play real sports. Not really trying to start anything since I see there are a couple of apparent fans, but I know most would tend to agree with me. All of my thoughts were on point though, don't you think?

So how much have your time have waisted watching this World Cup? I think it is off to a slow start and the horns are annoying as shit. I'm not saying I don't see your points. But kind of like watching a high level grappling match the more you know about the sport the easier it is to enjoy. Soccer doesn't really become soccer until you get older. Kiddie soccer is not the chess match you see on TV.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 5:21 pm

Proudly zero... I wouldn't even know about the 1.6 goals, annoying ass horns or "injuries" if not for SportsCenter. As far as growing to like it with age... I'm old and can't stand to watch it (And have given many opportunities over the years). And apparently the vast majority of the rest of this country agrees with me. Golf on TV think it's a boring sport to watch. Your comparison to a chess match is spot on since watching either for two hours is equally painful. It's really nothing more than an exercise that a bunch of countries with few other options go nuts over if you really think about it...
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 5:27 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
Proudly zero... I wouldn't even know about the 1.6 goals, annoying ass horns or "injuries" if not for SportsCenter. As far as growing to like it with age... I'm old and can't stand to watch it (And have given many opportunities over the years). And apparently the vast majority of the rest of this country agrees with me. Golf on TV think it's a boring sport to watch. Your comparison to a chess match is spot on since watching either for two hours is equally painful. It's really nothing more than an exercise that a bunch of countries with few other options go nuts over if you really think about it...

LOL we hate what we do not understand. Like I said my comparison to a grappling match is spot on. You really must understand the details of what is going on to truely appreciate it. To each his own right? I think over simplifying what these guys do is just a sign of ignorance toward the sport. I realize this is not a sport that interest you but why take the time out to bash it?
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 5:44 pm

The typical, "You don't get it" response. I probably don't understand all of the details of basketball, yet I enjoy it. I probably don't understand all of the details of hockey, yet I enjoy it. I do not understand all of the details of every artform of MMA, yet I enjoy it. Why do soccer apologists always tell non-fans that they just don't get it? You either like it or you don't... I understand offsides, corner kicks, penalty kicks, free kicks, yellow cards and red cards for fouls... What more could someone teach me to make me like this sport. Do you have to know that the Cowboys are running a "24 zebra slide right gap flash" and what every position does during that play to understand and enjoy football? I just don't get that line of thought from soccer fans at all... "Oh, stupid and ignorant non-fan, you are not capable of understanding the intricacies of this sport, and that is why you don't like it"... Come on Sooners.

And I already answered your last question... I'm simply bored out of my mind today.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 5:46 pm

i will never be able to watch one of those games in its entirity
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 5:47 pm

Some sports require more knowledge to enjoy. Just like my example of a grappling match. Wrestling and BJJ matches are more entertaining the more you know about the sport. Non-flashy sports require more attention to detail. Brain dead toddlers can watch big guy hit hard or big guy jump high. I'm just simply stating the fact that soccer is more complex then that.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 5:53 pm

uhhh, you kick a ball into a net, there is off sides, and guys acting like they get shot when a ball hits them in the face

not that hard to follow
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 5:56 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
uhhh, you kick a ball into a net, there is off sides, and guys acting like they get shot when a ball hits them in the face

not that hard to follow

I think you are missing the point. I don't understand how this grappling analogy isn't getting through. Casual fans say "stand them up they are just hugging eachother". Educated fan says "did you see that transition?".
You two obviously don't appreciate the difficulty and skill of the sport. It's like trying to explain a ground war to drunk casual mma fan that wants the KO. Just better off if I stop here.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 6:06 pm

In all truth, I don't like watching pros play on TV. Would always rather play, on the field or the local indoor rec league.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 6:12 pm

If only I could move this to the trash where it belongs
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 12:44 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:

not that hard to follow

I think you are missing the point. I don't understand how this grappling analogy isn't getting through. Casual fans say "stand them up they are just hugging eachother". Educated fan says "did you see that transition?".
You two obviously don't appreciate the difficulty and skill of the sport. It's like trying to explain a ground war to drunk casual mma fan that wants the KO. Just better off if I stop here.

Because it's a bad analogy Sooners. I've probably wrestled for pretty close to twice as long as you've been alive, but I don't sit around watching it on TV and claim that it's the world's greatest sport as many soccer fans do. There's a reason grappling on TV is a rare find, just like soccer until the World Cup. I don't go around trying to tell people MMA is an amazing sport... You either get it or you don't. If you get excited over a slide tackle and missed opportunity in the last minute leading to a 1-0 score, I think you have a pretty simple view of entertainment. There's just nothing captivating to most American's about watching a bunch of guys jog around kicking a ball back and forth for two hours while acting like they've been assaulted if they get bumped. I agree with GDP... I don't mind kicking the ball around with the kids and really enjoyed going to their matches when they were little. But trying to get into high level soccer is impossible for most (I often wonder if soccer fans would be entertained by cricket, snooker, curling, bowling and marathoning... Tons of skill and strategy in those too, right?). 50% of the matches so far have been ties and any team scoring 2 goals in a single game is almost assured a win which is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. Honestly Sooners... I have tried many times to enjoy a good soccer friendly or match over the years. At one point I even caught a match a weekend for a month to see if regularity would help... It just bores me and most of the rest of this country to tears. I don't think poorly of those who follow it... I just don't understand how anyone can make it through an entire match without falling asleep or becoming completely annoyed with the antics. Carry on and enjoy... It is afterall the world sport, and we need fans here to give it some support.

Wink
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 12:47 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
If only I could move this to the trash where it belongs

Why does it belong in the trash LA, because you disagree with my opinion? Grow up kiddo... Sad
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 12:56 pm

to be fair LTFG it was a thread created out of bordem to bash a sport. A sport you don't follow or fully understand. I think you can understand the trash like qualities this thread has. It is like creating a thread in the MMA section calling BJJ gay and boring. Bashing a sport and poking fun at it's followers sounds trash worthy to me.
You and soccer is like Wolfy with TUF. We know how you feel but let others who follow it discuss if freely without your bashing of the product.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 1:08 pm

LOL... Yeah, I guess sharing an opinion is trash worthy these days. If you are in the minority, it's trash here, right? I mean, if people make a thread to dump on Frank Mir or Josh Koscheck, it's a great thread... But if it's Fedor or Machida it's almost grounds for a ban?!?

It's a take about soccer... A sport. Popular or unpopular, it's still a take about a sport in the sports section, right? I have a difficult time understanding how people can follow it, therefore it's trash?... Come on Sooners.

On a positive note... I had to bail yesterday to catch a tee time. Shot a 76 at the Nicklaus course at Pronghorn. Might have been my best day in ten years cheers... Don't want to create a seperate thread to toot my horn since it might be moved to the trash section... lol Wink
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 1:12 pm

there is also a thread already created about the World Cup. Do you really need a whole thread just to express your opinion on a sport you don't watch?
I think you are being unreasonable and just searching to engage in argument. I don't think you are being objective.
Honestly it is a trollish thread.

Last edited by OUSOONERSOU on Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 1:17 pm

It does appear borderline trolish, but its nothing i haven't seen on other soccer threads from ppl that don't know much or that don't care about the sport, if you don't like it its cool, it is the most popular sport in the world after all, so you are a minority in that part, but it is ur opinion and even though i dont agree with it ill try to respect it.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 1:26 pm

OUSOONERSOU wrote:
there is also a thread already created about the World Cup. Do you really need a whole thread just to express your opinion on a sport you don't watch?
I think you are being unreasonable and just searching to engage in argument. I don't think you are being objective.
Honestly it is a trollish thread.

I thought the other thread was to discuss the matches and the tournament?... I would have been criticized just as harshly if not moreso for entering that domain and pissing on people's Cheerio's! My thoughts on the topic are a lose-lose when dealing with you and LA it would appear. And no, it wasn't my intent to engage and argue. It was an opening for those with the same feelings to agree and those that don't share to disagree... I wasn't just looking to trade or argue with soccer fans, I really thought I would get more response from non-fans than I have. And I haven't really argued a single point with you other than the merit of it being in the sports section and you using a poor analogy. Other than that, we have just bantered about why we are on the two sides... Is that so harmful? If it is, then I suggest looking up some exercises to thicken the skin a bit... Wink

I'm good knowing where we sit on the issue and am done discussing the topic's merits with you. As we have in the past, I think we can agree to disagree on most of our thoughts on the subject...

And for those that care...

"A 76 on a course that tough, can you believe it?... Maybe golfing with a broken neck is a good thing as my handicap has been dropping like a rock. I swing easier and am forced to concentrate on not allowing the head to move..."
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 1:28 pm

killerofchicken wrote:
It does appear borderline trolish, but its nothing i haven't seen on other soccer threads from ppl that don't know much or that don't care about the sport, if you don't like it its cool, it is the most popular sport in the world after all, so you are a minority in that part, but it is ur opinion and even though i dont agree with it ill try to respect it.

It really wasn't Killer... I was just looking for some banter from this side of the fence, but few wanted to give a thought. And let's not get into why it's popular elsewhere and not here... Two different world's...
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Well to be fair if I thought it was completly trash worthy that is where the thread would be.
Like usual nothing got out of hand and we can just agree to disagree.
I was more curious to your intentions in creating this thread then your actual thoughts on the subject. But those questions are answered so no need to go any further on that.
I don't really agree with sport bashing of any kind, my feelings are always why comment on a sport you don't follow or enjoy? I just don't see the point in going out of your way to do so. But I understand bordem comes up and you just want to talk about something.
No harm, no foul we can just move on from here.
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 1:41 pm

The World Cup has been boring as fuck so far. Bottom line
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 1:48 pm

Is anyone watching with the volume on? And if so, what drugs are you on to keep from going Elvis on the TV with that annoying droning noise?
Back to top Go down
killerofchicken
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
killerofchicken

Favorite Fighter(s) : Mauricio Shogun Rua, BJ Penn, AXE MURDERER,Fedor, CroCop, Vitor Belfort, JDS

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 1:51 pm

I hate the fuckin vuvuz but i have to get my andy gray and steven tyler fix of the day...
AND ITS IN THERE!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World Cup wrap up so far...   World Cup wrap up so far... Empty

Back to top Go down

World Cup wrap up so far...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next