Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.

Go down 
+5
boomer sooner
Bigs03
Ninja
NoRegret
Wolfgangsta
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. Empty
PostSubject: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 12:58 pm

With Kampmann, a fighter who doesn't have and won't ever have championship skills or ability, dominating the only real halfway promising contender out there, the division takes yet another hit and loses even more luster. I can't believe the free-pass the division gets. There is a tiny handfull of wellrounded fighters in the division. Even without GSP's dominance, the division would be the worst MMA has to offer(besides maybe HW)

Kampmann is not and never will be a contender.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
NoRegret
Red Belt
Red Belt
NoRegret

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone that comes to FIGHT!

The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 1:05 pm

I think you and alotta other guys underestimate Kampmann by alot.

I think I was the only one who picked Kampmann to win that fight. He is better than you give credit for.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 1:20 pm

Well you have four clear front-runners: Condit, Kampmann, Hathaway, and the winner of Fitch/Alves.

I say you make Condit vs Hathaway and then Fitch/Alves vs Kampmann. Then have the winners fight for a chance at the title.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Ninja\Rua/Fan wrote:
Well you have four clear front-runners: Condit, Kampmann, Hathaway, and the winner of Fitch/Alves.

I say you make Condit vs Hathaway and then Fitch/Alves vs Kampmann. Then have the winners fight for a chance at the title.

I like that scenario. Kampmann used to be thought of as an up and coming contender. He's done it slowly, but he's finally back to contender status.
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, since way back

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 1:29 pm

It's demographics Wolf. The HW division is the worst by a New York mile.
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

And Jake Shields is the next contender.
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 1:31 pm

boomer sooner wrote:
And Jake Shields is the next contender.

GSP will quickly debunk the Jake Shields myth.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 2:05 pm

I like Jake, but who is Jake Shields? A guy with a year 2000 skillset, that's who. GSP will laugh off Jake Shields and land flashy TKD kicks for as many rounds as it takes.

Kampmann has lousy striking defense and will be concussed again numerous times in his UFC career. He isn't very quick, has relatively slow reflexes, and will never have the wrestling to hang with the division elite.

Only GSP, Alves and Koscheck could take their skills to other weight classes and find success.

Quote :
Condit, Kampmann, Hathaway, and the winner of Fitch/Alves.

Wow. This is the weakest this division has ever been. Although this has never been the greatest division anyway. There is a reason Matt Hughes dominated so long.
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 2:09 pm

I think Jake more than anyone has done an exceptional job of combining great wrestling with BJJ. In that regard I think of him as an innovator, but his striking sucks and I think GSP wrecks him.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 2:22 pm

Jake Shields is just a Matt Hughes who hangs out with wiggers instead of farmers.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 4:49 pm

Ninja\Rua/Fan wrote:

Exactly what I was saying last night, the fight makes perfect sense, infact I'll Sig bet that Condit vs. Hathaway is made

I think Fitch vs Thiago should get a shot, Kampmann would be destroyed in that fight with either of them

Not a fight I'd want to see but the winner of Hughes vs. Almeida vs. Kampmann based on where they'd all be at makes sense.
Back to top Go down
oggy420
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:55 pm

lol Kampman has always been solid all around and skills is something i've never questioned with him. His striking is very good, not the best in the division by any means though, and he is a very underrated grappler. I mean he out grappled Paulo Thiago and that is pretty damn impressive.

Have to give credit where it is deserved.
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 6:25 pm

oggy420 wrote:
lol Kampman has always been solid all around and skills is something i've never questioned with him. His striking is very good, not the best in the division by any means though, and he is a very underrated grappler. I mean he out grappled Paulo Thiago and that is pretty damn impressive.

Have to give credit where it is deserved.

Exaxtly, Kampmann's base is actually kickboxing. His stand-up was definitely exposed by Daley, but whose wouldn't be? He should have played it smart and taken him to the ground immediately, but instead fought like he did against Drew McFedries except Daley was able to put his lights out before he could wise up and take it to the ground.

Fitch should get another title shot after he beats Thiago Alves and Jake Shields will be up shortly after that if he can get one or two wins upon his arrival.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 6:29 pm

Kampmann's problem is that he is at the end of the day a striker who is too robotic slow and easy to hit. Since he is a European striker type he probably will never develop the rest of his game to be able to handle the Koschecks, Fitches and GSP's of the division. If he can't hang with the Daley's or Alves', where can he go?

Good win, but expectations for Kampmann should be tempered.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 9:28 pm

If they put Hathaway in with Condit that's suicide, he's not ready for that jump in competition yet. Sanchez is a good fight but he was at a size disadvantage against Hathaway.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:21 pm

Who do they put him in with? Mike Pyle or a similar type vet? Condit aint no world beater, throw him in there. Hathaway would probably beat Condit anyhow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:24 pm

I don't want to see Hathaway rushed too quickly, he's only a kid.
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 12:55 am

Ninja\Rua/Fan wrote:

Yes. I didn't think Hathaway was that far up .. but I will take that scenario for sure.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 am

The Sheilds sgining needs to be figured out aswell, becuase he probably won't want to sign unless he's getting a shot immediately.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 1:25 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
I like Jake, but who is Jake Shields? A guy with a year 2000 skillset, that's who. GSP will laugh off Jake Shields and land flashy TKD kicks for as many rounds as it takes.

Kampmann has lousy striking defense and will be concussed again numerous times in his UFC career. He isn't very quick, has relatively slow reflexes, and will never have the wrestling to hang with the division elite.

Only GSP, Alves and Koscheck could take their skills to other weight classes and find success.

Quote :
Condit, Kampmann, Hathaway, and the winner of Fitch/Alves.

Wow. This is the weakest this division has ever been. Although this has never been the greatest division anyway. There is a reason Matt Hughes dominated so long.

Was i hallucinating wolf, or were you saying Jake Shields was top 10 P4P a month or two ago?...now he's out of date and not a real contender.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 3:39 am

All things I've said on Jake are true sir.

Jake is a rare one dimensional fighter. I listed him in the pound for pound because he is a 170 pound fighter dominating great 185 pound fighters. When I said he had a 2000 skillset I was overstating on purpose to illustrate how little of a challenge he represents to GSP. Eventually he will meet his kryptonite, and that will come in the form of a sprawl and strike fighter. I don't know if he could beat Thiago Alves or Josh Koscheck either. His hyperspecialized attack, while deadly, alone is dated and will eventually be his downfall.

There will sooner or later be an Aoki-Melendez moment where that will deflate his standings and reputation in the fight game just like that fight did.

Think of it this way; it is entirely possible Damian Maia could sub a few good LHW's with the skills he has right now, yet still lose in the same ways he has. With the right sequence of events Maia could have easily been a p4p fighter himself.
Back to top Go down
boomer sooner
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Jake is not 1-dimensional, he is 2-dimensional in a 3-dimensional sport, but his 2-dimensions are at a ridiculous level. Matt Hughes 2.0. Again, we have not seen someone that has been able to fuse his level of wrestling and BJJ so seamlessly. No striking though. GSP would be too much, but I wouldn't bet the farm on Koscheck or Fitch agaist Jake.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.   The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be. Empty

Back to top Go down

The WW division is in absolute shambles. There is a giant void where contenders should be.
Page 1 of 1