Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another fight postponed

Go down 
+3
dmar5143
gomez1012
Canvas
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Another fight postponed Empty
PostSubject: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Disgusting. This time it's Khan cancelling his July date. Now he won't fight again until December. I am growing tired of this inactivity. These young guys in their 20's think they are active if they fight twice a year.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=28452

Multiple sources have advised BoxingScene.com that Amir Khan will not make a defense of his WBA junior welterweight title on July 31 in England, and his return will likely get pushed back to December. Options for December include Joel Casamayor, Marco Maidana and the winner of next month's rematch between Juan Manuel Marquez and Juan Diaz.

Casamayor, who was under the impression that he would face Khan on July 31, will move forward with a summer ring appearance. The former two division champion from Cuba had already started training for Khan, and obviously he is disappointed with the latest turn of events. Casamayor's manager Luis DeCubas Jr. was also informed that Khan will likely push his ring return to December.

"I heard the same thing as you, that he probably won't fight until the end of the year. Joel is probably going to fight again in July or August. We can't sit around and wait on this guy because he might pick Maidana or Marquez," DeCubas told BoxingScene.com.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:23 pm

I saw that article but I'am going to wait till I hear it from the horses mouth before I react.

I will say this, I won't be bothered if he ends up facing Marcos Maidana.

Last edited by Ali_1748 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Probably a $ issue
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:32 pm

inactivity for what..im sorry but i agree this is happening to much..roach training manny for a nov fight..whats that leave for kahn..3 weeks maybe if its a dec fight..inactivity when theres several good fighters to fight at 140..theres noo excuse..none.excuses are BS
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Khan has 1.5 million dollar min w/GBP

Since no HBO $ for this, GBP probably cant afford to pay for a decent opponent so "postponing the fight"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:37 pm

I can't see Khan waiting till December unless he's being forced by HBO.

Ramadan will take him out of action for August and September.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:37 pm

british tv or british ppv will bring in good money..noo need then to do usa..ill not buy the dollar excuse.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:50 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
I can't see Khan waiting till December unless he's being forced by HBO.

Ramadan will take him out of action for August and September.

HBO isnt in charge of this card, this all his wonderful promoter GBP

bc of Ramadan, can see he wont fight til the fall/winter
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:56 pm

Anybody ever get better at doing something by doing less of it?
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:12 pm

gomez1012 wrote:
Khan has 1.5 million dollar min w/GBP

Since no HBO $ for this, GBP probably cant afford to pay for a decent opponent so "postponing the fight"

Khan makes millions just off British TV. HBO is just bonus money.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:34 pm

Canvas wrote:
Khan makes millions just off British TV. HBO is just bonus money.

there is no HBO $ for this card is what I am getting at, its on PPV

the purse, that min GBP guaranteed they have to cover, so Im sure since this PPV isnt going to do so well, they cant afford to pay for a name opponent
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:39 pm

It doesn't make sense, Khan is only 23 he's fit and healthy, he stated on British tv he wants to fight on July 31st before Ramadan. Casamayor accepted the offer, so why is it suddenly off ? Boxingscene should wait for more details before creating articles.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:40 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
It doesn't make sense, Khan is only 23 he's fit and healthy, he stated on British tv he wants to fight on July 31st before Ramadan. Casamayor accepted the offer, so why is it suddenly off ? Boxingscene should wait for more details before creating articles.

GBP
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:41 pm

I don't see why Golden Boy would stop him from fighting in July.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:44 pm

theres not a legit reason not to fight in july..doo it on british soil and the money will be there..its time for kahn to say im fighting in july..lets move it to london..enough kissing these promoters asses or hbo..
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 5:13 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
I don't see why Golden Boy would stop him from fighting in July.

they cant pay him

Especially if counting on Marquez-Diaz II PPV buys to help
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 5:19 pm

he needs to work on his game. It doesn't matter if they can't get the right fight for July. Get an opponent in there. Khan seems better with each fight with Freddie. If it is an overmatched opponent then work on some things with the training camp and fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 5:28 pm

Ali_1748 wrote:
I saw that article but I'am going to wait till I hear it from the horses mouth before I react.

I will say this, I won't be bothered if he ends up facing Marcos Maidana.
If that is his plan it wouldnt bother me but he should take a tune up first.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Gomez, Khan has a British TV deal that will cover his minimum. It doesn't matter what US TV platform he is on. The fight will generate $ in England. There is no reason for him not to have a summer fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Actually Khan doesn't have a deal anymore, his last fight was on ITV not Sky Sports.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 5:42 pm

I thought he re upped w/ ITV
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 5:45 pm

Canvas wrote:
I thought he re upped w/ ITV

I don't know the exact details but ITV aren't exactly rolling in the money right now.
Back to top Go down
gomez1012
Black Belt
Black Belt
gomez1012

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 5:52 pm

see thats what im saying

falls on GBP

and Khan's minimum purse is $1.5 million, w/no HBO licensing fee bc its PPV, hard for GBP to meet that hoping a lackluster PPV card provides them enough to pay him AND a name opponent
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 5:54 pm

We've still to hear why it's off, so we're just guessing at the moment.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 6:07 pm

true ali..lets hear the reason or excuse..unless my math is wrong 100 000 buys is a poor showing yes but at 50 dollars a shot its 5 mill.half goes to hbo .2.5 mill left.give golden boy 500 000 for promoting that leaves 2 mill left for the fighters..
if its money then take half for just this fight and another fight as a min..it could be more..how much are you making sitting at home twiddling your thumbs..ask winky and bo hop how much..zero..
sorry heaven forbid to ask kahn to fight 3 times in 6-7 months..yep the workload is unheared of..this goes for all of todays fighters..lets all STOP making excuses for inactivity..gee 5 fights in a year is overwork..and many fans buy the BS and make excuses..fight damit or go become a monk if you want to be a hermit..
yes stay home and make zero dollars..there is such a thing as a live gate also that they share.....yes times have changed..yes greb pep robinson gaviln could not handle today this heavy work schudle of asking a top fighter to fight 5 times in one year..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another fight postponed   Another fight postponed Empty

Back to top Go down

Another fight postponed
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next