Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos

Go down 
+2
Birdofthad
Canvas
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos Empty
PostSubject: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 6:06 pm

“That’s clearly true,” said television analyst Larry Merchant, referring to the suggestion the Klitschkos aren’t exciting to watch. “They used to say the same thing about Lennox Lewis. The fact is these are the new era of super heavyweights. They don’t fight like 190- to 215-pound heavyweights. Physiologically they can’t fight that way.

“You don’t see 7-footers running up and down the court in basketball the way 6-footers do. Super heavyweights have sort of changed the way heavyweights fight. It’s just the evolution of sports – bigger, stronger, faster.”

AND

(if they were american) “They’d be on the cover of all the American magazines and no one would be complaining about the heavyweights,” Merchant said.

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1970/its_about_time_the_klitschkos_receive_some_credit/
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 6:28 pm

pretty much agree with everything Larry said

Boxing isnt doing as bad as the american press says, the sport is thriving overseas better than ever it seems, the Klits are smart to make 10 + million fight in front of huge crowds and destroy this sad heavyweight division. Cant blame em

its funny everyones giving their take on the Klits right know

I am one of the few that think Vitali Klitschko is the better of the Klitschko's, I think Vitali is the best Haevyweight Champ right know.
Back to top Go down
Canvas
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 6:43 pm

I've been saying the same thing as Larry for years now...
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 6:48 pm

are you as drunk as Larry when you say it??

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ricky Burns

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 6:59 pm

I hope to someday be as drunk as Larry on a daily basis. I would surmise you have to start your day with a couple of bloody marys, afternoon martinis, and then really get it going around dinner time.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:02 pm

hahhaha and then your on to your straight whiskey for the fight
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:04 pm

Larry doesn't appear to be taking shots plastered. He just seems to have that "I drink all day but I can hold my liquor, drunk appearance".
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:15 pm

and thats why we love him
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:18 pm

lol. Larry is that drunk uncle we all have. Ticked off and a little sauced up. Gotta love it.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:20 pm

I love when he has that one sentence that takes about 3 minutes hehahaha , best ever was when he said that a refereee should be pistol whipped hahah
Back to top Go down
captainanddew
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 7:28 pm

lol, Larry is great. In the dictionary under long-winded is a picture of him.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 8:27 pm

ill agree vitali is the better of the two even though wlad does a few things better....im not going along with all lary said but some of it yes.
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 9:01 pm

Canvas wrote:
“That’s clearly true,” said television analyst Larry Merchant, referring to the suggestion the Klitschkos aren’t exciting to watch. “They used to say the same thing about Lennox Lewis. The fact is these are the new era of super heavyweights. They don’t fight like 190- to 215-pound heavyweights. Physiologically they can’t fight that way.

“You don’t see 7-footers running up and down the court in basketball the way 6-footers do. Super heavyweights have sort of changed the way heavyweights fight. It’s just the evolution of sports – bigger, stronger, faster.”

AND

(if they were american) “They’d be on the cover of all the American magazines and no one would be complaining about the heavyweights,” Merchant said.

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1970/its_about_time_the_klitschkos_receive_some_credit/
I don't fault the Klits for the dismal HW division, but I don't buy Merchant's explanation. I think he's trying to sell the fights for HBO. I say these things for the following reasons. 1. Lennox Lewis not exciting to watch? Well, let's look at that. He knocked out Razor Ruddock in 2. Andrew Golata in 1. 3. His "KO one -two" punch against Hassan Rachman might've been the best I've ever seeen. 4. He tortured Mike Tyson, who was coming off a list of impressive KO's. 5. His fight against David Tua was uneventful based on Tua's reluctance to go inside. 6. Lewis vs. Holyfield. Styles didn't mesh well. I still enjoyed the 2nd fight and thought it was a lot closer than the judges. Have either of the Klits defended the title against an opponent that matches any of the above?? Eddie Chambers? Calvin Brock? This last guy (forgot his name)? Also, if Wladamir and Vitali were Americans, they would not be on the cover of "Sports Illustrated." That's no knock on the Klits. When was the last time a boxer appeared on the cover of SI?? Our sport has lost a little of it's edge. Just for the sake of other countries, let me make it clear that most Americans really don't care what country the HW Champ hails from. They just want to see excitement. Last Saturday's fight was a nightmare in boredom. We've seen Ali, Louis, Frazier, Marciano, even Holmes. Let's not forget Lewis. I challenge anyone to show me a HW division this void of talent. This dismal. The Klits are good fighters and I think they might've done well in the 90's. Hell, Vitali would've beaten Mike Tyson. But let's be realistic. Somebody tell me a HW division that even remotely compared to this pathetic competition these two brothers have in front of them. My opinion. Because I say it's so, I don't think that makes it so. A lot of people may disagree with me and they may be right.
Back to top Go down
marbleheadmaui
Red Belt
Red Belt
marbleheadmaui

Favorite Fighter(s) : Arguello, Finito, Duran, Saad Muhammad

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 9:05 pm

The thing I'd love to ask Larry is this

"Larry, I understand that you beleive the new heavies cannot fight the way 220 pounders could. I understand they are bigger and stronger. But could they BEAT gifted 220 pounders who knew what they were doing?"
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyMon May 31, 2010 9:05 pm

the HW division yes this era is the worst in the last 50 years and one of the 2 or 3 worst ever..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 5:48 am

I don't agree with the last line.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos   Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos Empty

Back to top Go down

Larry Merchant's take on the Klitschkos
Page 1 of 1