Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today Empty
PostSubject: Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today   Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today EmptyTue May 18, 2010 12:54 am

Criteria is they never won a title

TOny Galento - I am damn sure if Sam Peter could maul his way to a title that Tony Galento could have

Lou Nova - big, strong, think he could have pulled it off

Buddy Baer - Max's little brother would have had one easily in the Rahman/Maskaev/Ibragimov/Shannon Briggs days

Archie Moore - ya I said it, old ass Archie would have outboxed John Ruiz or Valuev

Ernie Shavers - Ernie hit hard enough to knock somebody ot, Im sure of it

Sam Langford - this guy would be the undisputed champ and he wasnt even a heavy

Jimmy Young - he outboxed Foreman, enough said, and oh ya Ali as well.

Ron Lyle - Shannon Briggs but with talent

Oscar Bonavena - this guy would have been a champion in any other division besides the one he lived through

Jerry Quarry - people forget Jerry was a number 1 contendor when Ali busted him up, Jerry was a good fighter, tough, and would have gotten a trinket in this era

Bob Foster - no doubt in my mind he had the punch to win in this era, when he wasnt dropping L's to Ali and Frazier he was knocking the shit outta people even though he was a true Light Heavyweight

BIRDS REACHES (these are guys that mmight have but I dont want to be alone on an island so Im just saying they are reaches)

George Chuvalo
- possibly the greatest chin in all of boxing

Ernie Terrell - tall lanky athletic fighter

Abe Simon - big as shit and gave Joe Louis some tough spots, good jab

Gerry Cooney - he honestly would probably have won a trinket in this era, hell he was outclassed but went 14 with Holmes.

Ike IbetchyaImcrazy - who the hell knows

your adds and opinions gentleman
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today   Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today EmptyTue May 18, 2010 1:21 am

You sure Abe Simon gave Louis some tough spots? All I recall is him marching forward and Joe pounding the everloving shit outta him. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today   Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today EmptyTue May 18, 2010 1:33 am

KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
You sure Abe Simon gave Louis some tough spots? All I recall is him marching forward and Joe pounding the everloving shit outta him. Very Happy

he was able to go rounds with Louis something Galento couldnt do

believe he went 11 and 8 with Joe
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today   Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today EmptyTue May 18, 2010 1:46 am

I have one of the fights between them on dvd. Maybe I'll have to give it another look.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today   Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today EmptyTue May 18, 2010 1:58 am

eddie machen, clevland williams, and zora folley are good adds i think. there are a couple that i might be able to stretch but i wont.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today   Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today EmptyTue May 18, 2010 8:18 am

this is a excellent topic..looking at the list there are several ill agree with that would of won one of thoses trinkets and a few mentioned i feel would not and who i feel were overrated contenders in there era..id like to add roland lastarza to the list that would of won a trinket or two..tereel was in his time a recognized trinket holder...galento would of mauled sam peter ...
clev williams i feel was vastly overated..his claim to fame was slugging it out with liston 2 times and was koed early 2 times..also was koed twice by mac foster the more skilled sam peter of his day..willams i dont believe ever koed a contender and lost almost every fight against contenders he fought..todays heavys are better...foley was the calvin brock of his day..a boring fighter that i think would find a way to lose in trinket contests..bob foster could not hold up punch wise against heavies including todays but the only guy who he had a chance to beat ill say is ruiz ..chuvalo isnt a stretch hed own a trinket..bonevena i think would not of been a champion in any division if he fought in different eras unless you want to go back to the tommy burns or marvin hart era which is the infancy of the division..i feel he would of beaten a few trinket holders indeed....the rest of the list ill agree on for sure...my congratulations of a fantastic topic and well thought out choices..id add rex layne to that list also..the layne up untill the marciano fight..after that fight he wasnt the same fighter...leotis martin is another i think would of won a trinket..
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Very effective list of fighters.   Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today EmptyTue May 18, 2010 9:06 am

Good thread and good list. I can't think of anyone else to add. Langford, Quarry, Young, Shavers and Chuvalo are my favorites on your list. (Hell, that's most of the list. lol) As far as Archie Moore goes, he may be far better than anyone ever gave him credit for. He recorded 130 ko,s, and probably could've been HW champ in more than on era if given a chance (His chances at the HW title came when he was way past his prime. ). Regardless, he fought pretty well against Marciano. He lost to Floyd Patterson but I think he would've destroyed Floyd in his prime.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today   Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today EmptyTue May 18, 2010 10:38 am

dmar5143 wrote:
this is a excellent topic..looking at the list there are several ill agree with that would of won one of thoses trinkets and a few mentioned i feel would not and who i feel were overrated contenders in there era..id like to add roland lastarza to the list that would of won a trinket or two..tereel was in his time a recognized trinket holder...galento would of mauled sam peter ...
clev williams i feel was vastly overated..his claim to fame was slugging it out with liston 2 times and was koed early 2 times..also was koed twice by mac foster the more skilled sam peter of his day..willams i dont believe ever koed a contender and lost almost every fight against contenders he fought..todays heavys are better...foley was the calvin brock of his day..a boring fighter that i think would find a way to lose in trinket contests..bob foster could not hold up punch wise against heavies including todays but the only guy who he had a chance to beat ill say is ruiz ..chuvalo isnt a stretch hed own a trinket..bonevena i think would not of been a champion in any division if he fought in different eras unless you want to go back to the tommy burns or marvin hart era which is the infancy of the division..i feel he would of beaten a few trinket holders indeed....the rest of the list ill agree on for sure...my congratulations of a fantastic topic and well thought out choices..id add rex layne to that list also..the layne up untill the marciano fight..after that fight he wasnt the same fighter...leotis martin is another i think would of won a trinket..
i think that you are forgetting who the trinket holders have been recently. there have been terrible HWs. and although some of these others fighters may not have been the greatest, they were still better than most of the HWs today.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today   Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today EmptyTue May 18, 2010 6:48 pm

powerpuncher wrote:
eddie machen, clevland williams, and zora folley are good adds i think. there are a couple that i might be able to stretch but i wont.

great adds, before Cleveland Williams got literally shot, I agree, and same with Folley that guy could punch
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today   Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today EmptyTue May 18, 2010 6:50 pm

all good adds and points gentleman, good add on Layne dmar

and your right Terrell was a trinket holder but it was in the good ol days when everyone knew the real champ was Ali
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today   Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today Empty

Back to top Go down

Old Timers that WOuld Have a Belt in the Heavyweight Division Today
Page 1 of 1