Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch

Go down 
+4
dmar5143
WinkysNotWrightNM
KrazyHorseBennett
NBrooks5
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch Empty
PostSubject: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyThu May 13, 2010 9:30 pm

BoxingScene.com was advised that promoter Lou DiBella reached out to Top Rank to make a rematch between WBC/WBO middleweight champion Sergio Martinez and Antonio Margarito. Top Rank called him back and turned the fight down, for now. Margarito has been placed on hold for a possible fight with WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao in November. Margarito stopped Martinez in seven rounds back in 2000.

"I called Top Rank and said 'how about Martinez and Margarito,' and they called me back and said 'we're holding Margarito for Manny Pacquiao,'" DiBella told BoxingScene.com.

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum has made it clear in several interviews - if he can't reach a deal for a fight between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. - then Pacquiao would fight Margarito in November.

Until the dust has settled on the Mayweather-Pacquiao negotiations, Margarito will sit back and wait. Margarito himself told BoxingScene two weeks ago he was going to wait for a possible Pacquiao fight, and would only consider an offer to fight Martinez if the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight was finalized.

DiBella spoke with Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer about a possible fight between Martinez and Winky Wright, who told Schaefer he was very interested in fighting Martinez.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=27766
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyThu May 13, 2010 9:32 pm

Winky? Wow that guy is still getting fights.
Back to top Go down
NBrooks5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
NBrooks5

Favorite Fighter(s) : Manny, JMM, Casamayor and Katsidis

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyThu May 13, 2010 9:39 pm

That is just sickening that Top Rank would try to push Manny-Margarito on us.

Arum truly is a scumbag.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyThu May 13, 2010 9:41 pm

A Winky Wright fight doesn't bother me, it would add another name to Martinez's resume.
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyThu May 13, 2010 9:50 pm

NBrooks5 wrote:

Arum truly is a scumbag.

Preach on.

If Arum makes a Pac-Margacheato fight, he becomes a bigger scumbag than Don King ever was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyThu May 13, 2010 9:54 pm

KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
NBrooks5 wrote:

Arum truly is a scumbag.

Preach on.

If Arum makes a Pac-Margacheato fight, he becomes a bigger scumbag than Don King ever was.
WOW I would not go that far.
Back to top Go down
WinkysNotWrightNM
WinkysNotWrightNM

Favorite Fighter(s) : Paulie Malignaggi, Chad Dawson, Andre Ward, Felix Sturm, Joshua Clottey

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyThu May 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Everybody who can drop down to 147 is waiting for the Pac/Mayweather fight so if the fight can't get made they can make a big payday and probably lose. As for Martinez and Winky I think Martinez may get all he can handle with this agein' fighter. Still good defense and a good boxer I think cann give him problems. Im still not sold on this Martinez hype. He is a pressure fighter and makes a fight interesting which is why he has caught boxing fans eyes in America. Takeaway his last 3 fights and you look at his resume he taking on fighters with records like 3-34 and 12-23. brought the fight to Williams when nobody wanted him but then again so did Carlos Q for one fight an he beat Pavlik when he struggled to get to weight and looked horrible. Im not saying im not going to end up likeing the guy but for me his hype is just a bit too much
Back to top Go down
KrazyHorseBennett
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
KrazyHorseBennett

Favorite Fighter(s) : Charles Bennett is the second coming of Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyThu May 13, 2010 10:05 pm

soonermark890 wrote:
KrazyHorseBennett wrote:
NBrooks5 wrote:

Arum truly is a scumbag.

Preach on.

WOW I would not go that far.

I honestly have a feeling that he isn't going to try as hard as he can to get a Mayweather fight done because in his mind he already has this fantastic idea of matching Margacheato against Manny in Dallas Stadium.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyThu May 13, 2010 10:08 pm

WinkysNotWrightNM wrote:
Everybody who can drop down to 147 is waiting for the Pac/Mayweather fight so if the fight can't get made they can make a big payday and probably lose. As for Martinez and Winky I think Martinez may get all he can handle with this agein' fighter. Still good defense and a good boxer I think cann give him problems. Im still not sold on this Martinez hype. He is a pressure fighter and makes a fight interesting which is why he has caught boxing fans eyes in America. Takeaway his last 3 fights and you look at his resume he taking on fighters with records like 3-34 and 12-23. brought the fight to Williams when nobody wanted him but then again so did Carlos Q for one fight an he beat Pavlik when he struggled to get to weight and looked horrible. Im not saying im not going to end up likeing the guy but for me his hype is just a bit too much
Winky causes everyone problems. SM should win but it will not be easy.
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyThu May 13, 2010 10:27 pm

personaly ill never watch another winky wright fight again..i read today that pac says he wants the floyd fight..the folks in his country have asked him to fight floyd..many there have according to pac and his family has cleared him and support him to fight again..arum said he will do all to make it happen and wants all the negotiations out of the papers or media untill the deal is finalized...margo is used as a barging chip to make floyds folks aware there are other possibilites...personaly id like to see berto if mayweather fight falls threw..
Back to top Go down
TopNotch86
TopNotch86

Favorite Fighter(s) : Floyd Mayweather Jr., Timothy Bradley, Shane Mosley, Cornelius Bundrage, Jermaine Taylor, Bernard Hopkins

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyThu May 13, 2010 11:51 pm

NBrooks5 wrote:

Arum truly is a scumbag.

couldnt have said it better myself
Back to top Go down
4445Frank
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyFri May 14, 2010 12:50 pm

TopNotch86 wrote:
NBrooks5 wrote:

Arum truly is a scumbag.

couldnt have said it better myself

Good to see you, Top. I'd lose respect for Manny and Arum if they arrange a figtht with Margarito. AM hasn't done anything but get nearly killed against Mosley. He was exposed and should've been banned from the sport for carrying "Plaster of Paris" in his gloves. Boxing deserves better than Bob Arum.
Back to top Go down
powerpuncher
Green Belt
Green Belt
powerpuncher

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyFri May 14, 2010 1:10 pm

margarito should fight martinez. well i guess he shouldnt be fighting at all but since he is, he should give martinez a rematch. margarito doesnt deserve to fight pac. there is no reason for that fight. maybe a couple of years back it could have happened but now its pointless.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyFri May 14, 2010 4:29 pm

margarito is an idiot just got offered a title shot and turns it down to work for uncle bob
Back to top Go down
dmar5143
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
dmar5143

Favorite Fighter(s) : marciano pep robinson greb manny pac

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyFri May 14, 2010 6:23 pm

absolutely..turning down a real title fight is a sign of a punk..sorry it is.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch EmptyFri May 14, 2010 7:49 pm

completely agree Dmar
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch   Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch Empty

Back to top Go down

Antonio Margarito turns down Sergio Martinez rematch
Page 1 of 1