Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gegard interview with mmafighting...

Go down 
+4
muayjitsu
josh200612
Farmer1906
LTFG
8 posters
AuthorMessage
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

Gegard interview with mmafighting... Empty
PostSubject: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 1:36 pm

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/04/12/gegard-mousasi-wants-to-be-heavyweight-champion-of-the-world/

Gegard Mousasi sets lofty goals for himself. So far, he hasn't had any trouble reaching them.

The 24-year-old Mousasi wasn't expected to win Dream's middleweight Grand Prix in 2008 and wasn't expected to win Strikeforce's light heavyweight title in 2009. But he managed both, and as he prepares to defend his Strikeforce belt against Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal on April 17, he says his ultimate goal is to be the heavyweight champion of the world.

But that's a long way off. In an interview with MMAFighting.com, he said that for now, all he's focusing on is Saturday night's fight.

Michael David Smith: What do you think of King Mo as an opponent?
Gegard Mousasi: He's good. He's experienced -- not as experienced as a fighter as I am, but experienced with wrestling. He's the opponent I've been asking for, he's a dangerous opponent and it's a good fight.

In some ways is he a step down for you? You've had 31 pro MMA fights. He's had six. Isn't that experience a big advantage for you?
Certainly, I'm the champion and he's the challenger, but I think his wrestling experience is big: He's been competing for a long time. I'm not taking him lightly. I'm more experienced in MMA but I'm not thinking that I'm a better fighter than him.

This will be your third fight in the United States. You've previously fought in Holland, Finland, Ireland, Russia, Canada and Japan. How do you like fighting in the U.S.?
It's a great opportunity. I'm fighting now for the second time on CBS and that allows me to reach millions of fans. I like fighting in America. MMA is very big here and I enjoy seeing these fans.

You're only 24 years old and you've already won 28 fights, not to mention that you've won some fights as a professional kickboxer and had some success as an amateur boxer. How do you explain how you've been able to do so much in such a short time?
I've surrounded myself with the right people. I have great people around me, I have great training partners, and I think if you really want something you work for it and you get it.

You talk about surrounding yourself with the right people. One thing you did recently is separate yourself from M-1 Global. Can you explain why you did that?
They offered me a contract, and then I came back to them with what I wanted on their end, then they said, 'No, we can't do that' and that made me not want to be with them anymore.

What kind of relationship do you have with Fedor Emelianenko?
I consider him a friend. He's a very nice guy. He has worked hard. I think sometimes he finds all the promotional stuff to be straining. He's a very good person.

Do you have any insight as to when he'll fight again?
No. I don't know anything more than what I read on the Internet.

Back to your own fighting: What are your goals for this year as a fighter? Will we see you in Dream, in Strikeforce, will we see you doing any professional boxing or kickboxing?
No boxing this year. I'm going to be busy. I'm fighting for Strikeforce in April, then I'll start the Dream light heavyweight tournament in May, then I'll be back to Strikeforce, then the next round of the Dream tournament, and I hope to fight in Japan in New Year's Eve as well. It's a busy schedule and I just hope to win all my fights.

You said you won't box this year. Is being a professional boxer some day something you want to try?
Yes, but that's just something I want to try for myself. It's not like I think I'm going to make more money as a boxer. It's just a personal challenge, I'd like to see how I can do as a boxer.

What about the UFC? Will we ever see you there? Dana White has said he'd love to sign you.
I'm very happy with Strikeforce. I enjoy being part of the team. I may sign with the UFC after Strikeforce but there's really no reason for me to go. I've been treated very well, both in Strikeforce and in Dream, and I'm very happy where I am.

You say there's no reason for you to go, but there's one big reason that I think the fans would like to see you in the UFC: You'd get to fight the best light heavyweights in the world, guys like Lyoto Machida, Shogun Rua, Rashad Evans or Rampage Jackson. Wouldn't signing with the UFC appeal to you for that reason?
So far I have fought Sokoudjou and Babalu and now I have King Mo -- so far they have found good opponents for me in Strikeforce, and I think they're continuing to build. Would I fight good fighters in UFC? Yes, that would be a good challenge, but I'm not going to say I want to fight those guys you named because that's not a possibility. They're in a different organization. I'm really not thinking about fighting them. I'm only thinking about fighting King Mo.

Do you think you'll fight Dan Henderson later this year?
Definitely. That's part of why I think Strikeforce will keep giving me good opponents.

Will you continue to fight at light heavyweight? You won Dream's middleweight tournament. Could you possibly move down in weight class?
No. I'll fight at 205 or higher. I wouldn't go any lower. I don't think that's healthy for my body. I won't go below 205.

How much do you weigh in between fights, before you start to cut weight?
When I'm really focusing on my weight training I've been up to 233 at my highest but usually walk around at about 220.

If you get up to 233, that's Fedor's size. Could you compete at heavyweight?
Absolutely. Heavyweight is definitely a possibility. At my height, I could fill out more. It's a possibility, but not right now.

What's your ultimate goal in this sport?
To be a three-division champion. I was champion in Dream at middleweight, I'm champion in Strikeforce at light heavyweight, and my final goal is to be heavyweight champion of the world.

Gotta love this guys attitude and humble approach to the sport and his opponents. I just wish he'd change his stance on making the move to the UFC after this year is finished. Do his business in SF and Dream, and if he makes it through that unscathed or even with a single loss, he needs to be in the UFC fighting the elite at LHW. And I certainly hope the thoughts of HW are in the distant future... Because if he doesn't have the UFC LHW belt, he really isn't a champion at that weight.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Dream MW Champ and Strikeforce LHW Champ aren't exactly champions of the world.

Go beat Anderson and Machida. Then we'll talk.
Back to top Go down
josh200612
Silver Belt
Silver Belt
josh200612

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rashad Evans #1!,Rampage,GSP,Couture,Chael Sonnen,BJ Penn,Robbie Lawler,King MO,Frank Mir

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 9:15 pm

lol farmer hit it right on the head.
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 10:51 pm

King MO is gonna KO kermit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Such a classy kid.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 10:59 pm

24, 28 wins, this guy will get 50 wins atleast before its all said and done

I like when he said UFC hass teh best fighters

Well so far he has foght Soko and Babulu to people the UFC were high on, Dan Henderson only makes thing more interesting.

Will be interesting how Mousassi will handle being on his back if Lawal gets the fight there
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, FEDOR, NICK DIAZ

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:34 am

I agree that he needs to be in the ufc. But I like that he'll be fighting alot with both promotions. Mo better take him down and control him cause with his sloppy ass standup Gergard will KO him if he doesn't.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 am

Birdofthad wrote:

Well so far he has foght Soko and Babulu to people the UFC were high on, Dan Henderson only makes thing more interesting.

Will be interesting how Mousassi will handle being on his back if Lawal gets the fight there

I was just about to say the same thing, Of course he isn't Anderson or Machida. No one said he was. He's 24 and years ahead of Bones. He's the future if he keeps his head on straight. Mo is a tricky test though.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:49 am

ohiovol62 wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:

I was just about to say the same thing, Of course he isn't Anderson or Machida. No one said he was. He's 24 and years ahead of Bones. He's the future if he keeps his head on straight. Mo is a tricky test though.

I would be so sure to say he isn't Anderson or Machida. I think he matches up well vs them because he has very good striking and doesn't get hit a lot.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:51 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
ohiovol62 wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:

I would be so sure to say he isn't Anderson or Machida. I think he matches up well vs them because he has very good striking and doesn't get hit a lot.

And his ground game is no joke either... I wouldn't pick him in a fight against either (Well, maybe Anderson after his last display) but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if he came away victorious...
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:58 am

Farmer1906 wrote:
ohiovol62 wrote:
Birdofthad wrote:

I don't think he's ready for them, yet. JMO. Very well rounded skills for a 24 year old though
Back to top Go down
SOKO
Black Belt
Black Belt
SOKO

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Dragon, Kenflo, Hendo, Guida, Ace, Wand, Cain, Carwin, Foreman, Evander, Oscar

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:13 pm

gotta like the guy but whats with wanting to be a three division champ if he said he does not want to ever go back down to 185???
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:16 pm

sokolkevin wrote:
gotta like the guy but whats with wanting to be a three division champ if he said he does not want to ever go back down to 185???

He basically said he feels it isn't healthy for him to cut down to 185.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:17 pm

He considers his Dream MW GP title as that mark... We all know that holds about as much water as his SF LHW title in the big picture. If you aren't holding the UFC belt in either of those weights, you aren't the champ...
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:20 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
He considers his Dream MW GP title as that mark... We all know that holds about as much water as his SF LHW title in the big picture. If you aren't holding the UFC belt in either of those weights, you aren't the champ...

HW is the only division you can be the best outside the UFC. If Mousasi beats Fedor then I'll give him HW Champion of the World with or without any belt.
Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Hey LTFG! How in the hell did that guy on your AV even get into that position?
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Back to top Go down
MMAEYES
Black Belt
Black Belt
MMAEYES

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:44 pm

OK lol ahhh the good old days when guys didn't know what the fuck they where doing.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:47 pm

One thing about the early fights... Most of the time they didn't know too much about their opponent so they just went for it. Some of the best action ever in many of those fights.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gegard interview with mmafighting...   Gegard interview with mmafighting... Empty

Back to top Go down

Gegard interview with mmafighting...
Page 1 of 1