Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones

Go down 
+5
bobbitt15
Ludo
Wolfgangsta
acccardinal12
LA
9 posters
AuthorMessage
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones Empty
PostSubject: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 6:46 pm

The UFC picked a splendid battle to punctuate its first telecast on the Versus network Sunday with what should be a thrilling affair between contender Brandon Vera and rising sensation Jon Jones.

It’s a perfect duel between the flashy, younger fighter who improvises on the fly and the seasoned veteran who tends to do everything with textbook technique. Jones poses a threat to anyone with his unorthodox style. He throws kicks from all angles and also sends opponents flying with Greco throws. Still a relative novice to the sport, the sky appears to be the limit for him.

Vera marks the biggest test of Jones’ career. Once on the same meteoric rise that Jones is enjoying, Vera was derailed but remains a quality light heavyweight fighting to get back into title contention.

How will the fight play out? Sherdog.com caught up with several professional trainers and fighters to gauge their opinion on the matchup.

Dean Lister: Jones by KO.

Stephane Vigneault: Jon Jones by unanimous decision (due to) his unorthodox style and his reach and speed. He will dominate the three rounds of the fight.

Jay Hieron: Double knockout. Vera high kick and Jones spinning back fist (at the same time).

Gabe Ruediger: This matchup is really a toss-up. Both guys have been hyped up as "the next big thing." It’s hard to gauge how good Vera is because he seems to fight at his opponents’ level. Jones, on the other, hand has looked great, but hasn’t fought top competition. It should be interesting to see, and I like the matchup. I’m going to flip a coin … tails, it’s Jones (and I really flipped a coin).

James Zikic: Jon Jones by close decision in a mostly stand-up fight because Vera may be able to counter Jones' Greco-Roman wrestling somewhat.

Tom Gavrilos: It has the ability to be exciting on the feet. Jones has power and crazy reach. That being said, Vera has more technical stand-up, amazing Greco clinch and very, very underrated submissions.

Michael Guymon: I know people are gonna be all over the Jon Jones freight train, but I'm going with B-Vera on this one by second-round TKO.

Mike Ciesnolevicz: I think Brandon Vera is a very well-rounded fighter and has the skill set to beat just about anyone out there on a given night and I won’t be surprised if he wins this fight. But I think “Bones” Jones is gonna be too much for him. The X factor is Jones’ athleticism and unorthodox style. He is not a traditional Thai striker or boxer. He comes at you from weird angles and with good fakes, which not only set up his strikes but make his takedowns look way too easy. I have to pick Jones by TKO or decision.

Ray Elbe: Vera wins this with cleaner technique. Jones is explosive and will have his moments, but Vera has the crisper technique (and he’ll be) celebrating with a San Miguel and a plate of Adobo. Vera by decision (after) landing several brutal body kicks to win the rounds.

Ben Saunders: Man, this is one fight I can't pick because I am a really big fan of both. Vera's age and experience gives him the advantage in my opinion, but in this crazy game, anything can happen. I just know it's gonna be FIREWORKS start to finish, probably with Jones keeping the pressure.

Robin Black: That Jones fella really is unpredictable and athletic and crazy, but, theoretically, the way to counter that is with strong basics and sharp fundamentals. So many guys at this weight are dangerous for an up-and-coming super talent like Jones to face at this point in his development, but I believe Vera is a particularly tough matchup for him. Vera is fundamentally strong enough to make the right decisions when Jones brings some of his crazy heat, and talented enough to capitalize when he gets the chance. Vera has so many weapons: technical striking, high enough level wrestling to counter Jones, crazy leg kicks, dangerous clinch. And Jones is not gonna shake Vera. Vera is tough. I say Vera by decision.

Ryan White: I would like to see Jones win this fight, as I think he is a very entertaining fighter. I think the fight will start out a stand-up war with Jones taking it to the ground and working his ground-and-pound. Jones via TKO.

Jason Lambert: Vera by decision.

Matt Mitrione: Each of Bones’ extremities is like a two-week vacation. Vera is no punk, but he’s going to have to dirty box his ass off and watch out for Jon’s timely impressions of the whirling dervish. That being said, Bones (wins) by some kind of crazy-ass spinning attack followed by a bone-crushing Greco throw.

Patrick Cote: I’ll go with Jones. He’s a better wrestler and faster than Vera.

Lee Mein: I pick Vera in three, (via) inside cut kick to right elbow KO.

Juanito Ibarra: It’s a toss-up. They are looking in the mirror when they fight each other. They are a lot alike. I think Vera has the experience and he probably has the focus because of his past losses, and I see Vera edging him. But it can go either way. I expect a great fight. Not a good fight -- a great fight if they execute.

Shamar Bailey: If Vera can keep up with Jones’ speed and adapt to his funk in the cage, I think Vera will win. But if Vera is constantly trying to match Jones’ attack and not establishing his own, Vera will lose. Vera by decision.

Charlie Brenneman: I’m gonna go with Vera on this one. He is very seasoned, and he has been in there against some of the best. Although Jones is unbelievably dynamic, I don’t think he has what it takes to beat Vera. Vera’s wrestling is too good, and I think, as the grind of the fight becomes evident, Vera will take care of Jones on their feet. I’m going with a unanimous decision for Vera.

Adam Singer: I have to go with Vera on this one. I like Jones and can see him as a future champ. I think Vera is too well-rounded and experienced at this point. Vera by unanimous decision.

Pros who picked Vera: 9
Pros who picked Jones: 8
Pros who couldn’t decide: 3
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 6:46 pm

About as split as I've ever seen one, this is gonna be a great fight
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Yeah I can't wait. One more day fellas.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Surprised it is as split as it is, but then again the disrespect for Brandon Vera has always been more from uneducated fans who dislike him personally and want to bring him down and not so much people who actually know the sport.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 7:00 pm

Or the fact that he's just not a great fighter, but just a good fighter...
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 8:26 pm

The more I think about this fight I see a pretty clear cut decision win for Jones
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 8:31 pm

He has a questionable loss to Couture in a fight he smacked him silly once or twice in, but otherwise none of his losses are terrible, and all to top ten opponents. Close fight with two time HW Sylvia, a bad stoppage to Werdum who is still top ten, and a close loss to top ten at the time Jardine. Yet he is treated as a bum or a jobber and with legitimate disrespect from the fight watching community.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 8:52 pm

Vera just hasn't looked good lately

Way I see it, if Vera wins it'll be by decision, but I think Jones has a better chance to finish the fight. I'm rollin with Bones.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 8:59 pm

Again... He's not a bad fighter he just isn't a great one either. It's no insult to call a gatekeeper a gatekeeper.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 9:12 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
He has a questionable loss to Couture in a fight he smacked him silly once or twice in, but otherwise none of his losses are terrible, and all to top ten opponents. Close fight with two time HW Sylvia, a bad stoppage to Werdum who is still top ten, and a close loss to top ten at the time Jardine. Yet he is treated as a bum or a jobber and with legitimate disrespect from the fight watching community.

Wolf i do agree that he is a fighter who must fight fans dont respect as being as good as he is but in a way thats his fault. He lost to Randy and although Randy is a legend thats a lose Vera shouldnt have had. But I dont know where u stand in the fight against Bones but I got Vera winning by whatever it takes.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Yeah I am with Wolf kinda on this. The Jardine loss made me think less of Vera for real. He could have beat Sylvia if not for a broken hand and the Werdum stoppage was a bad call by the ref. I can see Vera getting win by decision in this fight, but I can see Bones KOing Vera too. I can't call it? It should be a great fight for sure.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Exactly this fight is as close to a cant miss fight as it gets as far as action.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Im picking Bones
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 10:51 pm

I'll take Bones by ground and pound in the second.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 4:59 pm

I will take Jones with a Dhalsim elongated-kick, finished off with a fireball.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 12:57 am

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Matt Mitrione: Each of Bones’ extremities is like a two-week vacation. Vera is no punk, but he’s going to have to dirty box his ass off and watch out for Jon’s timely impressions of the whirling dervish. That being said, Bones (wins) by some kind of crazy-ass spinning attack followed by a bone-crushing Greco throw.

They are really reaching with their pros aren't they?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones   Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones Empty

Back to top Go down

Pros Pick: Vera vs. Jones
Page 1 of 1