Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MMA myths debunked.

Go down 
+4
Andrew the Raider King
Birdofthad
acccardinal12
Wolfgangsta
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

MMA myths debunked. Empty
PostSubject: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 11:54 pm

Post myths the public in general, or mma fans in general have about the sport.

1. Myth - Pride/UFC was better than the other. Pride sucked/The UFC sucked, etc.

Truth - they both had the premier talent in the world at the time and while some had more developed divisions(pride HW, UFC WW) neither was clearly beyond the other. Since the merger, the head to head fights have been a wash mostly, with Pride fighters Jackson and Nogueira winning titles. Now a days, the tops of most of the divisions Pride had are largely made of guys from Pride and new fighters groomed since the merger. Obviously we can't count WW since Pride didn't have a WW division.

2. Boxers have better standup than MMA fighters/Boxers would destroy MMA fighters/boxers are of a higher caliber of athlete.

Truth - There are reasons almost no successful professional boxers have ever successfully made the transition from boxing to MMA. No mid level boxing title holders, no journeymen, almost nothing. There are some fighters with pro-boxing experience, Leben, Davis, Noons but it is disproportionately small, especially considering boxing has 18 weight classes and 18 different sanctioning bodies with 129 thousand titles. Boxing requires too much "unlearning" in regards to striking to be successful in MMA, in addition to all of the other stuff one has to learn. Same reason Judo and Sumo fighters for the most part don't have enough skills to immediately make a splash in MMA, and why champions in those sports rarely do well in MMA. Too limiting of a style for mixed combat. And D1 wrestling champions, champion MT fighters, BJJ fighters ect make up the top level of MMA, and I'd put a D1 all american in a punt pass and kick drill against any boxer any day of the week.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:00 am

I hate you and I agree with you. You are a brillinat d___! I won't curse cause I like the thread. I won't hate on you like you did my Fedor thread. No I won't forget either.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:03 am

BBC I am going to start deleting any post like the above from now on. Not sure how many times the board needs to see ;
Quote :

Omg wolf youre so smart, but i hate you, you scallywag moved my fedor thread and Ill never forget, even if you are a genius, omg i hate the fact such a dick makes me agree with him all the time. i wont forget it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:07 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
BBC I am going to start deleting any post like the above from now on. Not sure how many times the board needs to see ;
Quote :

Omg wolf youre so smart, but i hate you, you scallywag moved my fedor thread and Ill never forget, even if you are a genius, omg i hate the fact such a dick makes me agree with him all the time. i wont forget it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are right. I will keep it in the trash section. Good post for real and I agree.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:39 am

Tito and Chuck were great buddies
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 am

Birdofthad wrote:
Tito and Chuck were great buddies

Tito thought they were, so it's half true, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 2:57 am

I am waiting for the REAL myth to be debunked! Couture vs Toney. Cuz, I am telling you, Randy is going to smoke him, like Keith Richards did his Dad!
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Andrew the Raider King wrote:
I am waiting for the REAL myth to be debunked! Couture vs Toney. Cuz, I am telling you, Randy is going to smoke him, like Keith Richards did his Dad!

I thought Richards snorted pops? Eh, it doesn't matter...

Nice post Wolf... You have a way of eloquently stating the obvious... Bravo...
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 2:56 pm

If these things were so obvious they wouldn't be myths held by the majority would they?

Kind of like debunking religion.

Last edited by Wolfgangsta on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 3:10 pm

Held by the majority? By the majority you mean jock swinging UFC, Pride or boxing fans? It's sad that the minority is the intelligent and educated impartial fan of both or either sport. Of course that's the way it is in life so we should expect that it's ten fold in combat sports, right?...
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 4:05 pm

PRIDE guys can't translate, yeah:

Anderson sucks

Rampage sucks

Shogun sucks

Hendo sucks

the Nog boys suck

Wandy was gettin his ass kicked before he left PRIDE and Cro Cop won a HW tourney without beating Fedor or Nog. Shoulda had an * by his name. Oh, and what happened when baby Dana (with hair) brought Chuck over to Japan for that MW GP? Epic Fail
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Oh, oh, ooooooh.... No not Ohio? Another Pride homer trying to give Pride Anderson Silva... The dude fought 5 of his first 19 fights in Pride... AND was unsuccessful... How does that make him a Pride guy? Because he fought there before the UFC? Puhhhhhleeeeeeez...
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 4:17 pm

So does that mean he isn't a PRIDE guy? He's a UFC guy then. Ok. And yes I am a homer. There's prolly a couple on here. lol
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 4:22 pm

And he was successful in PRIDE. I forgive him for getting Ryo'd.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 4:36 pm

lol... He's a Mecca guy. Actually, since he's fought for 9 different org's I'd say he's the perfect example of the non-affiliated fighter. If Strikeforce was to offer him more jack to fight there after his UFC contract, I'm thinking that's where he'd go... Along with 99% of any other fighter on the planet. It's all about the banjamins...
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 4:36 pm

He fought in Pride in the greater context of fighting in Japan. He fought in many promotions. He was the number 1 ranked WW until he left the division.
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 4:39 pm

Yeah I just checked his record. Thought he had more PRIDE fights then he did. Guess I was thinking about all the shooto fights. Still consider him a PRIDE guy though. JMO
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Wolf, you're starting to remind me of the grumps on that episode of Star Trek... Blah, blah, blah...
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 4:43 pm

LikesToFightGuy wrote:
lol... He's a Mecca guy. Actually, since he's fought for 9 different org's I'd say he's the perfect example of the non-affiliated fighter. If Strikeforce was to offer him more jack to fight there after his UFC contract, I'm thinking that's where he'd go... Along with 99% of any other fighter on the planet. It's all about the banjamins...

Still though, a lot of people say PRIDE guys can't translate. Some couldn't but they were burnt out anyways. But yeah a great fighter are great fighter no matter where they come from. Fedor made his bones in RINGS! lol
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Yeah, it doesn't matter where a guy spent his time... Either he can fight or he can't...
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Silva being discounted as a "Pride guy" actually works against proponents of the myth(LTFG are you one of them?) as Silva dominates the UFC but got creamed in Pride.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 4:51 pm

Yo I didn't know you were a Dr, in addition to being a Olympic wrestling coach and the president and CEO of a fortune 500 company.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 5:08 pm

Ah, so little you know about me Wolf. Just like everyone else on the internet I also have a Nobel Peace Prize, Medal Of Honor and am married to a Victoria's Secret Model with a brain. So young and naive to the ways of the world you are...
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 5:09 pm

Wow Pride vs UFC.... I think its 2008 and were back on the ESPN forums.
Back to top Go down
LTFG
Brown Belt
Brown Belt
LTFG

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 5:24 pm

Farmer, actually Wolf made a decent original post to start things off. It just went awry as most of his threads do...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MMA myths debunked.   MMA myths debunked. Empty

Back to top Go down

MMA myths debunked.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next