Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Alves favored over Fitch

Go down 
+9
Ludo
GolbeZ
LA
Farmer1906
Wolfgangsta
muayjitsu
acccardinal12
bobbitt15
timthebim
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Should Alves be favored over Fitch?
yes
Alves favored over Fitch Vote_lcap42%Alves favored over Fitch Vote_rcap
 42% [ 8 ]
no
Alves favored over Fitch Vote_lcap58%Alves favored over Fitch Vote_rcap
 58% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

Alves favored over Fitch Empty
PostSubject: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 10:20 pm

I was just checking out some odds and 1 that stuck out to me alittle was Thiago Alves was a favorite over John Fitch. It shouldnt surpise me too much cause I do think Alves will beat Fitch but I know alot of people on this board think different. What do u guys think should Alves be the favorite over Fitch?
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 10:55 pm

Yes
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 11:07 pm

Alves! I thought I would be the only one. Lot of Fitch homers on here.
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

Favorite Fighter(s) : Wand, Thiago Alves, BJ Penn, Cain, Vitor, Tito, SHOGUN

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 11:18 pm

Im an Alves fan so you know i got him.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 12:49 am

I like Alves in this fight too. He is too athletic for Fitch.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 1:06 am

Its MMA so anything can happen, but when you already have a win over the guy and have beaten everyone in your path minus GSP then I have a hard time saying Alves should be favored.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 1:07 am

Fitch has lost 1 fight in his last 20, to fucking GSP, he isn't pretty but he is good, he also already finished Alves, why wouldn't Fitch be the favorite?
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 1:09 am

Alves is more experienced now, and the size and athleticism will come into play. Alves bullies his way into the knockout.
Back to top Go down
GolbeZ
Administrator
Administrator
GolbeZ

Favorite Fighter(s) : Condit, Machida, Aldo, Bendo, KJ Noons, Dominick Cruz The Praying Mantis

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 1:15 am

Thinking someone is going to win doesn't mean they are favored .. Fitch is "favored" going into the fight... or maybe I am thinking to much in betting terms and the OP was asking who do you think will win.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 1:23 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Alves is more experienced now, and the size and athleticism will come into play. Alves bullies his way into the knockout.

Fitch is a huge WW too. When have we seen him bullied?
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 1:52 am

I'm with Farm on this one
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 2:44 am

No way should Alves be the favorite. I think Fitch wins by assrape technique here. He likes the clinch too much and Alves has shown a tendency to get controlled in the clinch(IE Koscheck). Fitch will find a way to control the fight from a dominant position like he does to everyone not named St Pierre.
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 2:01 pm

Kos controlled Alves Ludo? Hmmm I don't recall that I just remember Alves stopping all his shots and knocking him silly a few times. I believe Alves has grown so much since he has been in the UFC. That fight he had with Fitch was like over 3 years ago kind of hard to use that as a barometer.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 2:03 pm

I'm surprised Fitch is the underdog here. His only loss in the UFC was to GSP and he already holds a win over Alves. I know neither guy is the same fighter but still, I don't see why Alves would be favored. I think Fitch will probably win this fight, just won't be too exciting.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Actually, Muay, Kos did kind of control Alves along the fence. I rewatched the fight not long ago and recapped every time they clinched on another forum. Enjoy.

Round one had zero clinching.

Round two had a brief clinch from about 3:17 left until about 2:45 where Thiago allowed himself and Kos to rest while neither was really working(save for the foot stomps). Thiago turned an over under and pressed Kos to the cage before seperating about 3 seconds later.
Kos shoots for a takedown at about 1:10 left of the second, it fails and he keeps trying for another for about 46 seconds before Josh raises to a bodylock, Thiago has the over under again but he's not doing anything but throwing weak arm punches and getting leaned on.

4:17 left in the third after rocking Koscheck Thiago clinches, pushing Koscheck into the corner they weren't far from before seperating after no strikes or anything with 4:11 left.
Kos initiates a clinch after being rocked again at 3:57 left, Koscheck turns Thiago and pushes Alves' back to the cage at 3:54 before working for a takedown thats stuffed twice. Alves pushes Koscheck away at 3:28 left. There is no more clinch work for the rest of the fight.

Two minutes worth of clinching(roughly) and Thiago was pressed up against the cage for all but about 10 seconds of it. I wouldn't call that bullying Koscheck. He definitely beat Koscheck down and ate him alive standing. I was incorrect when I said he looked less than impressive in the Koscheck fight, simply because he was able to avoid getting taken down except once for about 3 seconds. But the overall message about Alves in the clinch is spot on, including that fight.

http://www.investwithsports.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=7634&start=0
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 2:33 pm

Yeah but Kos did nothing effective with the clinch. I mean Alves did not get tired nor take any damage from it. So in a sense Kos made the effort to clench and go for takedowns here and then and was unsuccessful. I believe Kos is more athletic then Fitch but Fitch is more of a grinder that sticks to the game plan. If he can secure takedowns he wins. If not he loses. I think its that simple.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 2:40 pm

We weren't discussing whether he did anything in the clinch. You said you didn't recall Alves getting controlled in the fight. Being held in a place you don't want to be for the majority of 2 rounds out of a 3 round fight would count as being controlled, especially by a smaller man for the most part.
Back to top Go down
muayjitsu
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
muayjitsu

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 2:41 pm

I guess i can agree with that Ludo.
Back to top Go down
thessy11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 10:14 pm

GolbeZ wrote:
Thinking someone is going to win doesn't mean they are favored .. Fitch is "favored" going into the fight... or maybe I am thinking to much in betting terms and the OP was asking who do you think will win.

I may be misunderstanding what you wrote, but in betting terms Fitch is NOT favored going into the fight, which is why tim made the poll asking if people agree that Alves should be the betting favorite (which he is now and has been since the line was posted). He was not not asking people for their personal fight picks.

Fitch is as high as +145 on some sites and no lower than +100.
Back to top Go down
acccardinal12
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Cung Le, BJ Penn, Mayhem, Chael Sonnen, Anthony Pettis

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:04 am

muayjitsu wrote:
Kos controlled Alves Ludo? Hmmm I don't recall that I just remember Alves stopping all his shots and knocking him silly a few times. I believe Alves has grown so much since he has been in the UFC. That fight he had with Fitch was like over 3 years ago kind of hard to use that as a barometer.

Yup I agree! This thread should be bumped after the fight.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 12:06 am

Would Fisher be a favorite of those two were slated to rematch? Alves by KTF to the O.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 1:30 am

Wolfgangsta wrote:
Would Fisher be a favorite of those two were slated to rematch? Alves by KTF to the O.

He would if he didn't drop to 155, lose to several fighters, and did in fact beat a lot of top competition at 170.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 1:50 am

Who will be surprised if Fitch wins? I wouldn't be overly shocked, but I expect Alves to make a statement.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 1:58 am

I won't much be surprised either way. But the more likely scenario is Fitch taking this one home.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 2:05 am

Not shocked or surprised either way.

I think the only way I'll be surprised is if there is a flying sub or Fitch dominates Alves with faster more accurate hands.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alves favored over Fitch   Alves favored over Fitch Empty

Back to top Go down

Alves favored over Fitch
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next