Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) Empty
PostSubject: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 6:33 pm

Light Heavyweight - Lil Nog
Steve Cantwell was the last champion before the division was moved to the UFC. Cantwell then defended it vs Razak Al-Hassan, but lost it to Luiz Cane at UFC 97. Cane the lost it to Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC 106.

Middleweight - Filho (he technically never lost it since he didn't make weight when he lost to Sonnen) / Sonnen
Chael Sonnen defeated Filho for what should have been the title and makes Sonnen the last champion before the division was moved to the UFC. Sonnen lost it to Demian Maia at UFC 95. Maia lost it to Nate Marquardt at UFC 98. Marquardt lost it to Chael Sonnen at UFC 109.

Welterweight - Daley
Carlos Condit was the last champion before the division was moved to the UFC. Condit lost it to Martin Kampmann at UFC Fight Night 18. Jampmann lost it to Paul Daley at UFC 103.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 6:40 pm

Well, if everything was like it "should have been" in Filho-Sonnen II...Sonnen gets beat again. Lest we forget Filho was basically in the middle of an overdose. That's a terrible matchup for Sonnen, just like Maia is.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Their former HW champion Brian Olsen still holds that lineal title.

Ron Waterman held the Super HW title until he lost a rematch to Ricco Rodriguez, who I assume still holds it. If you count HW fights then he lost the title to Ben Rothwell who loses it to Andrei Arlovski who loses it to FEDOR.

FEDOR LINEAL SUPER HW CHAMPION.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 6:43 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Well, if everything was like it "should have been" in Filho-Sonnen II...Sonnen gets beat again. Lest we forget Filho was basically in the middle of an overdose. That's a terrible matchup for Sonnen, just like Maia is.

I know, but Filho got his ass beat while fucked up and it should have been a title match, but he failed to make weight. Don't act like the fight just didn't happen.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 6:51 pm

Actually ya if we can cound Sonnen Filho 2 which wasn't a real MW fight then Fedor is the SHW champion for the WEC.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
KingsOwn19 wrote:

I know, but Filho got his ass beat while fucked up and it should have been a title match, but he failed to make weight. Don't act like the fight just didn't happen.

I'm not denying the fight happened and that Sonnen obviously won that "fight" though it takes two to tango in my opinion. A win is a win but i never put much stock in the win for Sonnen, as i bet he doesent...and i never really put much stock in the loss for Filho..just that Filho had problems and apparently still does.

What i was trying to say is that Paulo Filho is better than Chael Sonnen. But i guess this is the wrong thread for that debate. Your list is correct. Sonnen is x2 WEC MW champ.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 7:19 pm

Anyway, was it ever cleared up that he actually submitted in their first meeting? Chael was beating his ass the entire fight and disputed that he even tapped.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 7:34 pm

Filho isn't better than Sonnen, Filho did and still does have some issues, but it isnt stopping him from winning now. A rematch would be similar to their last fight.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 8:16 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Filho isn't better than Sonnen, Filho did and still does have some issues, but it isnt stopping him from winning now. A rematch would be similar to their last fight.

The same as their LAST fight? I don't know about that. Maybe their first as far as Sonnen controlling most of the action. That would take a great deal of effort from both fighters to duplicate their second fight. Filho would have to be faded and Sonnen would have to once again fail to finish a guy that's paying attention to just about everything except the fight. Filho didnt even bother to do anything in that fight. Atleast if he came in to actually fight i think would have atleast ended up being a fairly boring struggle for position against a cage and Sonnen simply is not going to last 5 rounds in that type of fight with a guy who has built his career on submissions without getting his ass submitted. Sonnen stuggles with these guys. Look at his past opponents and the guys he's lost to. He gets submitted at Manhoef like efficiency and all of his losses come to the Filho's of the world. Hell, he almost blew his great performance by getting caught in the guillotine at UFC 109.

It's my opinion of course, but Filho could have really been the next Ricardo Arona only with better subs(in MMA because Arona rarely taps anybody in MMA). Probably still can be if he ever gets his shit together.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 8:20 pm

His weakness is subs, but I'm not high on Filho anymore, think Chael would dominate him now.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Chael Sonnen if anything is the next Ricardo Arona and both will be featured on G4's new series "Human Blanket".
Back to top Go down
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 10:59 pm

KingsOwn19 wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
KingsOwn19 wrote:

I'm not denying the fight happened and that Sonnen obviously won that "fight" though it takes two to tango in my opinion. A win is a win but i never put much stock in the win for Sonnen, as i bet he doesent...and i never really put much stock in the loss for Filho..just that Filho had problems and apparently still does.

What i was trying to say is that Paulo Filho is better than Chael Sonnen. But i guess this is the wrong thread for that debate. Your list is correct. Sonnen is x2 WEC MW champ.

If I remember correctly, Filho was getting his ass beat the first time he fought Sonnen but pulled off a miracle armbar near the end of the fight. My memory could be failing me but that's how I remember it.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 11:40 pm

Quote :
If I remember correctly, Filho was getting his ass beat the first time he fought Sonnen but pulled off a miracle armbar near the end of the fight. My memory could be failing me but that's how I remember it.

That Sonnen never tapped to that the ref decided to stop because it looked deep or some shit, if memory serves me correctly. Why else would Sonnen get an immediate rematch?

Those are reserved only for ass-fuckings or super controversial fights ala Couture-Rizzo or Machida-Shogun.

Fact is Sonnen would beat Paulo Filho's ass again and this time he'd make sure there was no doubt. Not that they'd ever fight again because no big name org wants to sign him. He fucked Zuffa over, he fucked Dream over, he can't make weight so he had to move to LHW where he can be a stocky midget for the weight class.

I guarantee you he wouldn't take another fight with Melvin Manhoef either.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 11:45 pm

Sonnen verbally tapped, he yells it the first time, but he was beating Filho down.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 12:00 am

Didn't he deny doing that entirely though? I was pretty sure the ref just jumped the gun.
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 12:17 am

Bigs03 wrote:
KingsOwn19 wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
KingsOwn19 wrote:

No. Filho submitted him in the second round. Sonnen was winning the fight but it's not like the beating Manhoef was putting on Filho only to be tapped. It was a scorecard winning the fight, not "damn, Filho better pull an armbar out of his ass before he gets put to sleep" winning the fight if my memory serves me correct, i can't find the video anywhere though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)   Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs) Empty

Back to top Go down

Where would the belts be now (WEC Champs)
Page 1 of 1