Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?

Go down 
+3
Wolfgangsta
Farmer1906
Birdofthad
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? Empty
PostSubject: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 1:55 am

I am curious, because I remember when Yves Edwards was considered the uncrowned Lightweight Champion of the MMA world?

Maybe he wasnt or shouldnt have been but I agreed with those claims.

From 2002-2005 he was 11-1

going 6-0 in UFC, 1-0 in Pride, 1-0 in WEC, his 1 loss came to Kawirji at Shooto
First do you giys agree he was the best Lightweight in the world for a stretch during that spell?

Second do you think he is the best fighter to never win a belt, tournament, or championship? I am sure he isnt but curious to here your views

Last edited by Birdofthad on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:07 am

Verrrrry interesting question.

I'd say at this point the very best who hasn't won a title is Jon Fitch. He's won 19 of his last 20 fights with his loss coming from GSP. He's 11-1 in the UFC with wins over guys like Alves, Larson, Thiago, Gono, Sanchez, and even Pierce looks to have a promising future. His only losses other than GSP were where he was very undersized and very early in his career.

I'd also give some consideration to Lil Nog. He's got wins over Overeem (2x), Hendo, Sakuraba, Mezger (when he was good), Cane, and lost a close decision to Shogun. He's 1-0 in the UFC & 7-2 in Pride, but has never had a title shot.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:16 am

great points Farmer, Fitch is a great add and possibility

DOnt mention Lil Nog and Mezger, I am still mad that fucking head kick didnt knock Nog out
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:16 am

and I think it is clear if a guy named GSP wasnt around Fitch would have had a belt around his waist by know
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 4:55 am

I've made 10 threads like this in my life. Each thread is a Pedro Rizzo apologetic. While his chin and reflexes are shot now, in his prime he was one of the original striker badasses with UFC wins against -

Mark Coleman - 1998, the former champ while slumping, was clearly not washed up. Some debate to the validity to the decision though. Still this is an alltime great HW that he defeated in his prime.

Josh Barnett - 2001, Gave the then undefeated fighter his first loss, by brutal KO. Barnett smashes Couture 13 months later. This is an alltime great that he defeated in his prime(who was also on the stuff)

Andrei Arlovski - 2002, another quality win against another future UFC HW champion.

Ricco Rodriguez - 2003, little more than a year after he won the HW title. I don't care if Ricco lost the title to Tim, then gets the misfortune of losing a decision where he was fucking robbed against Big Nog, and then loses this fight, this win is every bit as valid as it would have been a year before. Prime win over championship fighter.

Dan Severn - 2000, I know Dan is old here, but still, this was only his 5th loss ever and came during one of the Beasts gigantic win streaks. Still a great win on anyone's resume.

Randy Couture - oh wait, nevermind. People who think Shogun-Machida shows the power of leg kicks have no idea what went down in this fight. Couture will show the after effects of this fight during his autopsy one day. This was a horrific robbery, one Couture even admits went the wrong way. Like with Shogun-Machida, was so terrible the UFC granted the rare immediate rematch. That didn't go as planned...

That is six UFC HW champion wins he caught just at the wrong time, too early, just too late or didn't come at all where they should have. While you can poke holes in any body's record if you look hard enough, it's hard to ignore the strokes of badluck that have kept this guy from "UFC legend" and down to "lost potential".

Had the Couture fight went his way, he could have been a HoF'r, you never know...
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:52 am

Uh the anwser is SAKURABA. Period. The man was pure genius.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Fitch or Lil Nog are good choices
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 1:32 pm

SAKU,fitch,lil nog and harold howard
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Sakuraba never fought in any promotion during his real prime where belts were awarded for his weight class.

He doesn't count. He won a UFC tournament. SAKURABA DOESN'T COUNT. Jon Fitch and Little Nog are still in their primes and can't be considered relevant to this discussion.

Pedro Rizzo is the answer. Besides his resume is a lot better than either Nogs or Fitches.
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:05 pm

I would say fitch also but the sick part is I dont think he will ever win a title anyways.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:05 pm

harold howard was a joke
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:15 pm

Let's name the champions and legends Jon Fitch has defeated. Go.

Ok done.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Wolfgangsta wrote:
I've made 10 threads like this in my life. Each thread is a Pedro Rizzo apologetic. While his chin and reflexes are shot now, in his prime he was one of the original striker badasses with UFC wins against -

Mark Coleman - 1998, the former champ while slumping, was clearly not washed up. Some debate to the validity to the decision though. Still this is an alltime great HW that he defeated in his prime.

Josh Barnett - 2001, Gave the then undefeated fighter his first loss, by brutal KO. Barnett smashes Couture 13 months later. This is an alltime great that he defeated in his prime(who was also on the stuff)

Andrei Arlovski - 2002, another quality win against another future UFC HW champion.

Ricco Rodriguez - 2003, little more than a year after he won the HW title. I don't care if Ricco lost the title to Tim, then gets the misfortune of losing a decision where he was fucking robbed against Big Nog, and then loses this fight, this win is every bit as valid as it would have been a year before. Prime win over championship fighter.

Dan Severn - 2000, I know Dan is old here, but still, this was only his 5th loss ever and came during one of the Beasts gigantic win streaks. Still a great win on anyone's resume.

Randy Couture - oh wait, nevermind. People who think Shogun-Machida shows the power of leg kicks have no idea what went down in this fight. Couture will show the after effects of this fight during his autopsy one day. This was a horrific robbery, one Couture even admits went the wrong way. Like with Shogun-Machida, was so terrible the UFC granted the rare immediate rematch. That didn't go as planned...

That is six UFC HW champion wins he caught just at the wrong time, too early, just too late or didn't come at all where they should have. While you can poke holes in any body's record if you look hard enough, it's hard to ignore the strokes of badluck that have kept this guy from "UFC legend" and down to "lost potential".

Had the Couture fight went his way, he could have been a HoF'r, you never know...

ANOTHER GREAT ADD THIS IS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUt woooohhhhh

Rizzo was great, how good, well that Mark Coleman he beat was the Mark Coleman that was training wtih the Lions Den and had Ken Shamrock as his corner man. RIZZO WON, remember how nasty his leg looked after the leg kicks? Maurice Smith and Pete Williams used leg kicks to pepper Coleman, but shit Rizzo damn near took his leg off.

the Barnett win was fucking huge and I loved it, also He GOT ROBBED VS COUTURE

I am iffy on all Severns win streaks since it was found out he has fixed fights before

But this is a better resume than Yves, GREAT ADD
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:41 pm

I said to not win a title, TOURNAMENT, or championship, since Pride tournaments and UFC tournament wins are damn impressive in my eye
but still good adds on Sakuraba even though he won the UFC Japan tournament

Why are their so many Harold Howard fans?

does this mean I can start putting him on the impressive wins list in Kens resume, cause I dont at the moment Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:56 pm

How does Saku not count? The question asked "who is the best fighter to not win a title?". That UFC Japan thing is bull, it was a four guy tourney and Saku replaced a injured Tank after Saku got KO'd in the first round. Granted it was a bullshit stopage. And the fact that he wasn't in his "true prime" is somewhat debateable, and if he was only lends more to my argument. He toyed with Royce for like two hours and ran out of gas against Igor who was a lot bigger than Saku. Granted I'm a homer but whatever. I guess I'm just pissy cuz I ran into a friend and the topic of MMA came up, he asked me who my fav was, I said Saku, and he said who?
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Birdofthad wrote:
I am curious, because I remember when Yves Edwards was considered the uncrowned Lightweight Champion of the MMA world?

Maybe he wasnt or shouldnt have been but I agreed with those claims.

From 2002-2005 he was 11-1

going 6-0 in UFC, 1-0 in Pride, 1-0 in WEC, his 1 loss came to Kawirji at Shooto
First do you giys agree he was the best Lightweight in the world for a stretch during that spell?

Second do you think he is the best fighter to never win a belt, tournament, or championship? I am sure he isnt but curious to here your views

no biggie, but I did state belt, tournament, or championship
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:59 pm

ya its never fun when someone doesnt know who the greats are

I still think Sakuraba is great add
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Ok nevermind I read the question again. I still take Saku though sunny
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 3:01 pm

bird i reference howard as a joke and he attempted to start an altercation with me. BTW I woul ktfo that cracka
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 3:04 pm

no problem ohio

cuba thatas fucking hilarious hahahahahah

guess Harold isnt happy where his career ended up at

If I remember right UFC 3 was the first one I watched live and that was the one that had Hackney over Yarbough and Ken making Howard tap while getting punched
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 3:10 pm

There has prolly been more talk on this site about Harold Howard then in the rest of the world for the last 10 years
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 3:12 pm

ohiovol62 wrote:
There has prolly been more talk on this site about Harold Howard then in the rest of the world for the last 10 years

completely agree hahahaha
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 3:15 pm

or am i harold howard pumping my name for a comeback

harold howard
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 3:17 pm

I was getting ready to ask
Harold is that you?

Still got the Mullett?
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 3:26 pm

NO comment
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?   Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title? Empty

Back to top Go down

Yves Edwards : Best to Not Win a Title?
Page 1 of 1