Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Don Frye Back in the UFC

Go down 
+14
Farmer1906
franklinfan2
JimboJones1
Andrew the Raider King
ohiovol62
Wolfgangsta
captain organic
Birdofthad
timthebim
bobbitt15
Bigs03
Ninja
LA
redvexx8
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

Don Frye Back in the UFC Empty
PostSubject: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:06 pm

"You don't come to quote movies or thank your sponsors," Don Frye recently barked on SportingNews.com’s The Rumble. "You don't come to have your fingernails or your toenails painted. Goddamn, you come to fight, not to be a fairy. Fight, that's what these two old boys are going to do.”

Those “two old boys” in question are, of course, Randy Couture and Mark Coleman. The legendary former UFC champions are set to do battle at UFC 109 next month.

Frye, a former UFC tournament winner and true icon of the old PRIDE FC, went on to explain that this particular event is the first UFC PPV he’s ordering in the last 10 years.

Most fans are complaining about the main event. So why is Frye, a non-UFC fighter, going so far out of his way to create hype for this show?

Well, we got our answer early this morning.

“I’m not saying Don Frye’s coming back to fight in the UFC,” Dana White told the wildly popular Juiceboxing 101 author Justin Orel. “What I’m saying is, Don Frye’s coming back to dominate the UFC.”

At first glance, it seems like Frye’s vintage value, especially in light of the new Best of PRIDE series beginning, is the only reason he got the contract. That, or so many fighters are injured or sick right now that Frye is a last-ditch effort. Dana assures us this isn’t the case.

The always-controversial UFC President then further illustrated the details behind Frye’s signing, but not before firing some shots at future critics.

“Don Frye is only 44-years-old. That’s not a big deal anymore. Randy’s 46. Coleman’s 45. And they’re sniffing at the Light-Heavyweight title right now. If you wanna point fingers at old fighters, look at Hershel Walker. He’s older than all of them, and he’s not even a real f***in’ fighter. Don Frye is a legit badass.”

Also chiming in almost immediately on Frye’s signing was UFC commentator Joe Rogan.

“I’ve seen a LOT of guys come and go throughout the years,” Joe told me. “And I’ve called thousands of fights. So when people ask me about the most memorable fight I’ve seen, I always tell them about the Don Frye-Yoshihiro Takayama fight from PRIDE 21. How often do you see an Olympic wrestler bang like that?”

Well, Joe, I personally am not thrilled with seeing Don Frye "bang" anything. However, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super excited for his UFC re-debut in 2010.

Frye’s contract is supposedly only for one fight, so I’m assuming it’s going to be a big one. Don’t be surprised to see Frye stroll into the Octagon following the Couture-Coleman fight and engage in an epic stare-down with his next opponent.

Or his next victim.

source:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/328536-juiceboxing-101-don-frye-back-in-the-ufc
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Really?
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Quote :
“I’m not saying Don Frye’s coming back to fight in the UFC,” Dana White told the wildly popular Juiceboxing 101 author Justin Orel. “What I’m saying is, Don Frye’s coming back to dominate the UFC.”

Is this a fucking joke. Neutral

Who is next Harold Howard? This is getting ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Bigs03
Black Belt
Black Belt
Bigs03

Favorite Fighter(s) : Fedor and GSP

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:12 pm

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
redvexx8
Green Belt
Green Belt
redvexx8

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:16 pm

Ninja\Rua/Fan wrote:
Who is next Harold Howard?

Don Frye Back in the UFC 14bl5dt

Last edited by redvexx8 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:17 pm

I'm still in shock over this

Who's he gonna fight?

Kimbo, if Kimbo beats Mitrione
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:17 pm

redvexx8 wrote:
Don Frye Back in the UFC 14bl5dt

Laughing

Tom is a funny guy.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:19 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:

Who's he gonna fight?

According to the article the winner of Coleman/Couture is a huge possibility.
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:22 pm

Ugh, what? if anything he should fight the loser, and only if it's Coleman.
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:24 pm

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Ugh, what? if anything he should fight the loser, and only if it's Coleman.

Yes, I can't wait to see Coleman vs Frye 3. Laughing
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:26 pm

He will probably fight the winner. They are just giving Randy old school guys to fight in his last couple matches that won't decapitate him. But boy did they ever hype the shit out of Don Frye in that article
Back to top Go down
LA
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
LA

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm not a fan of any fight for him in the UFC, but if he has to fight someone, that's who I'm giving him.

Randy would be going from Brock, to Nog, to Vera, to Coleman, to Frye
Back to top Go down
bobbitt15
Gold Belt
Gold Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael Sonnen, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm going to laugh so hard when Randy gets a title shot at LHW in like the last fight of his career and Dana will say he earned it by beating Coleman and Frye. He's already setting the groundwork by claiming Couture and Coleman are "sniffing at the Light Heavyweight title right now"
Back to top Go down
timthebim
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
timthebim

Favorite Fighter(s) : BJ PENN, JOSH KOSCHECK, SPIDER

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 11:46 pm

I wish he would fight Chuck. Some1 would getted killed but it would be entertaining.
Back to top Go down
Birdofthad
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Ken shamrock, Frank Shamrock, Guy Mezger, Pete Williams, you get it Lions Den

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 12:01 am

you all know this makes me smile

this is reminding me of when Duran, Leonard, and Hearns went on the oldies tour in the 90s
Back to top Go down
captain organic
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
captain organic

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 12:10 am

That story had at least 3 head shakers in it. There are 2 hilarious points in this paragraph alone:

“Don Frye is only 44-years-old. That’s not a big deal anymore. Randy’s 46. Coleman’s 45. And they’re sniffing at the Light-Heavyweight title right now. If you wanna point fingers at old fighters, look at Hershel Walker. He’s older than all of them, and he’s not even a real f***in’ fighter. Don Frye is a legit badass.”

But a Frye Kimbo matchup? Bring it.
Back to top Go down
Wolfgangsta
Platinum Belt
Platinum Belt
Wolfgangsta

Favorite Fighter(s) : Conor McGregor, Machida, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 1:04 am

I for one have made a total turn around on my outlook toward the rapidly developing circus division in the UFC.
Back to top Go down
http://www.listentothis.org/images/fedoriishi.gif
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

Favorite Fighter(s) : Sakuraba, Fedor, GSP, and Big Nog

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:54 am

Ninja\Rua/Fan wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:

Who's he gonna fight?

According to the article the winner of Coleman/Couture is a huge possibility.

Ha! It's a AARP tourney!
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

Favorite Fighter(s) : Chael, Sexyama, Condit, Hendricks, Cowboy, Struve

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 10:54 am

I have no problem with it, I am waiting for him to bring Kerr back next.

lol!
Back to top Go down
JimboJones1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 11:39 am

Joe Rogan hypes everyone. Don Frye was never an olympian, though that wont get in Rogan's way of claiming that he was. Plus, even if he was an Olympian in his prime, that would have been 20 years ago!
Back to top Go down
franklinfan2
Green Belt
Green Belt

Favorite Fighter(s) : Rich Franklin duh!

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 11:40 am

Severn will be next.
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 3:39 pm

While we are at it, maybe they should get Steve Jennum? Harold Howard? Maybe Keith Hackney?
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 3:46 pm

Damn Andrew is going all the way back lol. Didn't throw in the towel against Howard cuz he was hurt? Got the early UFCs on DVD but its been years
Back to top Go down
ohiovol62
Purple Belt
Purple Belt
ohiovol62

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 3:47 pm

ohiovol62 wrote:
Damn Andrew is going all the way back lol. Didn't Royce throw in the towel against Howard cuz he was hurt? Got the early UFCs on DVD but its been years
Back to top Go down
Andrew the Raider King
Red Belt
Red Belt
Andrew the Raider King

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 6:04 pm

Yeah, Royce walked out there but he had nothing left and they threw the towel in before the fight actually began. I did love Keith Hackney though, that guy was tough!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don Frye Back in the UFC   Don Frye Back in the UFC Empty

Back to top Go down

Don Frye Back in the UFC
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next