Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Biggest HW fights in MMA history?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

Biggest HW fights in MMA history? Empty
PostSubject: Biggest HW fights in MMA history?   Biggest HW fights in MMA history? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 6:50 pm

What do you think were the biggest ever fights at heavyweight in MMA history?  Any criteria you want: hype, magnitude, match-up, results, impact, star power, etc.,.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Biggest HW fights in MMA history?   Biggest HW fights in MMA history? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 7:13 pm

This is my list
Spoiler: hate asking then being the first to answer. Click it.:
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Biggest HW fights in MMA history?   Biggest HW fights in MMA history? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 7:27 pm

In no particular order:

Randy Couture vs Tim Sylvia
Fedor Emelienenko vs Mirko Cro Cop
Fedor Emelienenko vs Minotauro Nogueira 1
Fedor Emelienenko vs Antonio Silva
Fedor Emelienenko vs Dan Henderson
Randy Couture vs Vitor Belfort 1
Don Frye vs Yoshihiro Takayama
Mirko Cro Cop vs Gabriel Gonzaga
Frank Mir vs Minotauro Nogueira 2
Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir 2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Biggest HW fights in MMA history?   Biggest HW fights in MMA history? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Randy Couture vs Brock Lesnar has to be included.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Biggest HW fights in MMA history?   Biggest HW fights in MMA history? EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 12:55 pm

JDS vs Cain 1- 1st fight ever on FOX. featured #1 vs #2
Cain vs Brock- proof Brock was the product of luck,hype and timing.
Fedor vs Werdum- shocked the world
Fedor vs Hendo- Top 5 fighters of all time squaring off.
Bigfoot vs Sammy Sosa- proof Sammy wasn't shit without his roids.
Fedor vs CC-no description needed.  
Fedor vs Nog-#1 vs #2
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

PostSubject: Re: Biggest HW fights in MMA history?   Biggest HW fights in MMA history? EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 9:24 pm

I rank a couple of Lesnar fights but not all.

The Mir vs Lesnar fight was a rematch from a fight Mir won originally, though he was taking punishment from Lesnar. Both fighters were considered top 5 at the time and coming in hot on win streaks (2 for brock, 3 for Mir anyways anyways), it headlined the early July UFC 100 show and had the belt on the line.  It was a big deal and Brock looked good beating down Mir and caused a scene afterwards.  A pretty big fight to say the least.

Cain vs Brock was big also I thought.  Brock was still on his streak though didn't look good against Carwin at all until Carwin gassed.  The first was brutal but the second was an easy and quick payday comeback.  Cain though was the best HW in the world, not everyone thought it then, I did, Fedor just lost and Cain was the new best replacing the old best it is how it appeared to me.  Brock had tools to be good, but he had no chance of ever living up to the media and fan hype machine created around him.  He was going to get beat up again and this guy was better at it and not gonna stop unlike Carwin.  The PPV generated a lot of hype, had multiple sportscenter segments leading up to it along with the usual countdown and MMA shows.  The fight was not boring or disappointing, Brock did get beat up again.  He never really got hit all that significantly by any opponents before he went poop guts, but after coming back all three of his opponents were superior, bigger hitters and he had no answer for it.  With the reemergence of his health problems later, the Velasquez fight should of been his last fight.  The Overeem fight was for the auto $400K, ppv points and coors light $.  Velasquez is the man.

Randy vs Lesnar is lower on my list.  It was big in some senses sure, hype was huge, lot of buys, old legend vs pro wrestler super star turned 2-1 MMA fighter, and for the belt to boot.  But the UFC side of the HW division in those days was a little suspect and sometimes hit or miss still, it's thin now of course, but better then it was 4 or 5 years ago.  Ol' Randy was still pretty damn good but always ready for a loss I thought and the physical mismatches here definitely outdid the talent mismatch.  But Randy did good, Brock couldn't wrestle with him but he got the club to head and did right to finish still.  At that point I remember thinking Brock really fit in with a few other past HW UFC champs as lacking overall significance or recognition, at least in MMA and not celebrity terms. A Sonnen level line cutting for the title shot in 2008 as well when Mir or Big Nog should of been fighting Randy instead of each other, but like I said, UFC was super weak at HW then. They didn't want to pay Sylvia or AA so they went and fought Fedor, who together with Barnett, Werdum, Overeem, Rothwell, and Nelson, were a bunch of well established top names they were not in business with in those times.

For me, fights like Fedor vs Hendo, Cain vs JDS I, Fedor vs Sylvia, Mir vs Sylvia and Crocop vs Wanderlei were bigger then Carwin or Couture vs Lesnar.  The closest fight Brock ever came to getting me to buy in to his hype was the 2nd Mir fight, his best fight ever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biggest HW fights in MMA history?   Biggest HW fights in MMA history? Empty

Back to top Go down

Biggest HW fights in MMA history?
Page 1 of 1