Ninja's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ A forum dedicated to hardcore combat sports fans. ]

Home PageHome Page  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8

Go down 
+4
OU
GDPofDRC
Ninja
Ali
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 Empty
PostSubject: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Quote :
A bout between top-shelf welterweights Rory MacDonald (14-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) and Jake Ellenberger (29-6 MMA, 8-2 UFC) should further shrink the ranks of title contenders.

Canada-based newspaper The Province today passed along word of the matchup, which is set for UFC on FOX 8 on July 27 at Seattle's KeyArena, and UFC officials confirmed it.

Although the fight's position on the summer card isn't set, it's expected to serve on the event's FOX-televised main-card, which follows prelims on FX and Facebook.

MacDonald returns to action on the heels of a neck and back strain which forced his removal from this past month's UFC 158 and scratched a rematch with Carlos Condit. According to several reports, the welterweight prospect re-injured himself, which pushed back his timetable for recovery. It appears, however, that not only has the Condit fight taken a back seat, but he'll be fight to fight this summer.

MacDonald's trainer, Firas Zahabi, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he was trying to get his fighter to train smarter and not harder.

"He's too aggressive," Zahabi said. "I really try to hold the reigns. I tell him, 'OK Rory, we're going to do less today,' and we always end up doing more. Emotions get in the way, and he wants to spar more."

Still, whatever the 23-year-old is doing, it's working. MacDonald has won his past four inside the octagon.

Ellenberger, meanwhile, is enjoying back-to-back wins. He was set to fight No. 1 contender Johny Hendricks at UFC 158 before MacDonald's injury shuffled the card, and he was rebooked to fight Nate Marquardt. In a quick drubbing, he knocked out the ex-Strikeforce champ in three minutes and secured a "Knockout of the Night" bonus.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/04/jake-ellenberger-vs-rory-macdonald-added-to-julys-ufc-on-fox-8-in-seattle

Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRovfadv6LoPCbVYUrhuYWb47QZr4_3VBvN2E6OtVD8xdGpZR5d
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 9:18 pm

I think we are going to see a mini tournament here for the winner of GSP/Hendricks.

Jake vs. Rory

Maia vs. Tarec

Winner vs Winner for next shot at the belt.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Ali
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Ninja wrote:
I think we are going to see a mini tournament here for the winner of GSP/Hendricks.

Jake vs. Rory

Maia vs. Tarec

I like that idea.

Where does this leave Condit ? Kamp rematch ?
Back to top Go down
Ninja
Administrator
Administrator
Ninja

Favorite Fighter(s) : Anyone with the last name Rua or Emelianenko and Uncle Creepy

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Ali* wrote:
Ninja wrote:

Jake vs. Rory

Maia vs. Tarec

I like that idea.

Where does this leave Condit ? Kamp rematch ?

Ya, I think that's a solid matchup and it makes sense.

Lawler vs. Mike Pierce/Gunnar Nelson and Koscheck vs Nate would be nice WW matchups as well.
Back to top Go down
https://ninjasplace.forumotion.net
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Ninja wrote:

Jake vs. Rory

Maia vs. Tarec

I don't think Rory is 2 fights away from a title shot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
Ninja wrote:

Jake vs. Rory

Maia vs. Tarec

If he beats Jake and the winner of Maia vs Tarec then he deserves a shot at the title. The only problem is he and GSP wont fight each other.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

Favorite Fighter(s) : Griffin, Franklin, Hendo, Sonnen, Wand, Lawler, Belfort, Pettis, Aldo, Mousasi

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 11:53 pm

freakzilla wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
Ninja wrote:

Jake vs. Rory

Maia vs. Tarec

If he beats Jake and the winner of Maia vs Tarec then he deserves a shot at the title. The only problem is he and GSP wont fight each other.

No I think he's less than 2. A win over Jake is probably enough.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 11:13 am

I'll be pulling for Ellenberger and I think it will be a very close fight.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

Favorite Fighter(s) : Diaz Bros, Wandy, Ace, Hendo, JDS, Lima Bros,Uncle Creepy, long live Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 674
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Gonna be a fun one to bet
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 4:32 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Gonna be a fun one to bet

I bet the line goes does as the fight gets closer.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 4:44 pm

I think I can make some $ off Robbie.
Back to top Go down
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
I think I can make some $ off Robbie.

I think Jake is the safer bet to make a buck.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

Favorite Fighter(s) : The Prodigy, The Great, Viking Dahmer, The Phenom

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 5:25 pm

Tarec wrecks Robbie here. Every time Robbie can't land his falcon punch in the first round and a half or so he breaks mentally. Tarec is just too technical for him.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 5:43 pm

I just think Tarec is heavily overrated. No power, good not great hands, no wrestling offense. I think Robbie wades in and connects enough to get the finish.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 6:08 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
I just think Tarec is heavily overrated. No power, good not great hands, no wrestling offense. I think Robbie wades in and connects enough to get the finish.

Just like Marquardt did?
Back to top Go down
KingsOwn19
Administrator
Administrator
KingsOwn19

Favorite Fighter(s) : Lyoto Machida, BJ Penn, Anderson Silva,Dan Henderson, Emelianenko Fedor, Josh Barnett

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 6:22 pm

i've been thinking about this fight...i know Rory gets better just about every time out and i don't think Berger is great or anything..but it seems like this is a bad matchup for Rory. He does not have Ellenbergers pop, i don't think he can wrestle or bully Ellenberger, and i wouldnt say he's a better striker, though he might have more variety in his striking arsenal.

I'm surprised Rory is the favorite to be honest. I like Jake in this fight, but Rory seems to level up with each fight and i guess thats what Vegas is anticipating..but i think based on what we have seen and when you match up the games part by part, it seems Ellenberger would be the way to go.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Ludo wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

Just like Marquardt did?

Nate look unprepared. I think Robbie fairs much better obviously.
Back to top Go down
Ludo
Bronze Belt
Bronze Belt
Ludo

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Farmer1906 wrote:
Ludo wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

Just like Marquardt did?

Since when has Robbie been a "plan B" kind of guy? He's got one gameplan and a limited window to make it happen before he starts getting frustrated and tired.
Back to top Go down
Farmer1906
Gold Belt
Gold Belt
Farmer1906

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 9:42 pm

Ludo wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:
Ludo wrote:
Farmer1906 wrote:

Just like Marquardt did?

Since when has Robbie been a "plan B" kind of guy? He's got one gameplan and a limited window to make it happen before he starts getting frustrated and tired.

Not going to disagree. That's why he's floating around .500 the last few years, but I think he's more suited for WW and that Tarec isn't as good as everyone thinks. Everyone has good and bad nights and I think everything aligned for him vs Nate. Now that the spot light is on him, I think he'll slip up under the right lights of the UFC.
Back to top Go down
GDPofDRC
Administrator
Administrator
GDPofDRC

Favorite Fighter(s) : Shogun, Fedor, Wand, Saku, Hendo, BJ, Bas, Cain, Mike Vallely

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Jake Ellenberger wrote:
I haven’t said anything that wasn’t true and my message to Rory is pretty clear: start tasting some flavors of baby food and find one you like and stock up because this isn’t a Tears for Fears lookalike contest. All I said is for him to prepare for some horizontal television time, and I meant it. I’m going out there to perform and to win. Rory doesn’t have a choice where this fight goes. This fight goes where I want it to go, and I’ve shown that in past fights. He has shown that he has potential, but he has not faced anybody like me. I’m stoked to get in there. I’m an evidence-based abuser. I didn’t make him make the stupid decision to fight me. I’m just going to make him look stupid when I destroy him.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/v/skCV2L0c6K0
OU
Administrator
Administrator
OU

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 11:58 am

I think Jake takes it. Probably even stops him.
Back to top Go down
Cu Bu
Black Belt
Black Belt
Cu Bu

Favorite Fighter(s) : AXE MURDERER

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 5:07 pm

GDPofDRC wrote:
Jake Ellenberger wrote:
I haven’t said anything that wasn’t true and my message to Rory is pretty clear: start tasting some flavors of baby food and find one you like and stock up because this isn’t a Tears for Fears lookalike contest. All I said is for him to prepare for some horizontal television time, and I meant it. I’m going out there to perform and to win. Rory doesn’t have a choice where this fight goes. This fight goes where I want it to go, and I’ve shown that in past fights. He has shown that he has potential, but he has not faced anybody like me. I’m stoked to get in there. I’m an evidence-based abuser. I didn’t make him make the stupid decision to fight me. I’m just going to make him look stupid when I destroy him.

trying to intimidate the younger less experienced guy kudos Jake
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8   Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jake Ellenberger vs. Rory MacDonald set for UFC on FOX 8
Page 1 of 1